Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
9 minutes ago, WeatherMoose said:

Just slightly miffed that i looked forward to all this and it wasn't even close to happening

Screenshot_2018-03-01-10-31-41.png

BBC shows the same for Worthing. If Hirlam chart is right we still have a chance of snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
15 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Would also like to know this as I haven't seen my boyfriend for 2 weeks as he's been away on business and he can' come if the trains are bad:(

Is he an over-exited trainspotter??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Is he an over-exited trainspotter??

I see what you did there ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
11 minutes ago, WeatherMoose said:

Just slightly miffed that i looked forward to all this and it wasn't even close to happening

Screenshot_2018-03-01-10-31-41.png

2 Key Points with this...

1. It's the BBC - Poor Since left Meto

2. Hardly ever trust them Forecasts, the Data struggles with these type of events.

Posted

I’m not going outside, but this photo shows we have about 3 inches of snow here. The ornamental penguin feels at home ?

280C8524-C6D7-4BDD-AF4F-DA7F30C273EA.jpeg

Edited by CK1981
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
14 minutes ago, Hellboy said:

Just a few more, this time in Stoke, also on the Hoo Peninsula. Those drifts are crazy! 

FB_IMG_1519900238516.jpg

FB_IMG_1519900250865.jpg

Amazing pictures, there!! Wasn't it on the Hoo Peninsular, where a train got stuck in a huge snowdrift, in Jan 1987?I remember, the photos!! If memory serves, didn't British Rail buy a specially adapted locomotive, with snowplough, from Norway, only to get it back to the UK, to find it was the wrong gauge? :oops:

For Kentish folk, now in a snow mood. See link below and reminisce, about Jan 187. Enjoy!!

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/remembering-the-1987-whiteout-118663/

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot

The whole channel is going to fill with snow and dump it from Truro to Broadstairs.  :nea:

Posted

Still very lightly snowing here although NW radar looks like it has already cleared. Hoping the moisture from the easterly/North sea can reinvigorate any fronts coming this far east/north. Otherwise for me it's all eyes to tomorrow morning! 

Deal, East Kent.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
Just now, Cat Clark said:

Are you in Folkestone too?

No the Surrey Hills

Posted

Hmm, so the 06z GFS does NOT have a reflection of those showers in the Bay of Biscay running to the south/east of the front and gives the SE nothing. The HIRLAM does and it is this area that the model really develops to give the SE its snow this evening...HIRLAM looks far closer to the mark on them at the moment (plenty of time for change!)

VERY interesting. Its kind of like summer plume watching...except with snow!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 5

Posted

Light snow still blowing down in Bromely  / Kent - but Radar is  clear, I wonder if this might be the case for a while now? just another moisture being introduced to keep it going, all be it light.

Wishful thinking or not ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Hmm, so the 06z does NOT have a reflection of those showers in the Bay of Biscay running to the south/east of the front and gives the SE nothing. The HIRLAM does and it is this area that the model really develops to give the SE its snow this evening...HIRLAM looks far closer to the mark on them at the moment (plenty of time for change!)

Interesting. So do you think we have a chance of snow showers running up from the south into our region later this evening?

Posted
9 minutes ago, emf0778 said:

yes but that Hirlam refers to 11.00 which was 10 here.  Nothing happening.

Not exactly true. HIRLAM shows very light snow over the area which is correct. It has been snowing here lightly since 6am.

However, we are referring to the almost perfect match between radar and model regarding the big areas of precip over France.

HIRLAM then shows snow later this afternoon/evening moving into our area, which I assume are the showers building SE of the main precip area and which are moving NE, right at us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
2 minutes ago, danm said:

Interesting. So do you think we have a chance of snow showers running up from the south into our region later this evening?

It might, it'll be a nowcast radar watching event if it does, very hard to tell this early out,

Posted
1 minute ago, danm said:

Too early to tell, it could just as easily fade away, or it could effectivly merge with the frontal system and provide an eastward extension, too early to tell.

Anyway front is well into the channel, still going to be VERY tight for Hampshire. At the moment I'm literally on the edge. 20 miles will make the difference between minimal snowfall, and 5cms extra!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

I'm throwing my towel.in for anything major now got a feeling my lot was Tuesday ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Near Gatwick and feeling grumpy. My e-mailbox has more Met Office Weather Warning Alerts pouring in than snowflakes falling outside. And their satellite charts are off line. Nothing is happening here apart from grey skies and cold.

I think they ought to cancel some of their yellow warnings, but they won't. It's misleading people; our son's at home with his college cancelled when he could be in getting on with his projects.

I sure hope your forecasts are right for tonight here.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Hmm, so the 06z GFS does NOT have a reflection of those showers in the Bay of Biscay running to the south/east of the front and gives the SE nothing. The HIRLAM does and it is this area that the model really develops to give the SE its snow this evening...HIRLAM looks far closer to the mark on them at the moment (plenty of time for change!)

I’ll go with HIRLAM. Not just because it shows the better outcome, but because it appears to be modelling everything better than GFS.

Higher resolution models should have a better handle on micro scale impacts I would have thought!

Edited by CK1981

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
Just now, kold weather said:

Too early to tell, it could just as easily fade away, or it could effectivly merge with the frontal system and provide an eastward extension, too early to tell.

Anyway front is well into the channel, still going to be VERY tight for Hampshire. At the moment I'm literally on the edge. 20 miles will make the difference between minimal snowfall, and 5cms extra!

Thanks. Let's wait and see.

What are your thoughts on snow in our region tomorrow? That was always meant to be the day where we had chances of heavier snow