Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

The snow clearing through now is it for today -

the big clump of snow pushing up from france will hit the SW this eve but then overnight the energy will pivot & spread back SE down the channel & up into our area tomorrow morning as snow - ( maybe im the extreme south coast rain )

The GFS wants to push the front through but other models like the UKMO / hirlam want to slow it down over london / SE

??? just the words I wanted to here mate, rain on the south coast lol. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
1 minute ago, pureasthedriven said:

Yet more snow for Kent and Essex then no doubt! ?

It'll miss our little pocket and dump the whole lot on them... Probably even dump on the south coast for good measure first

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

BBC forecast at 10am was less than encouraging for our area, with maybe the possibility of more tomorrow afternoon. 

I hope they're wrong. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

the big clump of snow pushing up from france will hit the SW this eve but then overnight the energy will pivot & spread back SE down the channel & up into our area tomorrow morning as snow - ( maybe im the extreme south coast rain )

The GFS wants to push the front through but other models like the UKMO / hirlam want to slow it down over london / SE

Hi Steve,

Do you expect any convection to kick off this afternoon?

Posted
2 minutes ago, turkishfella said:

guys can someone please explain, do you guys see something we can't? Also metoffice forecasts snow between 10am and 3pm but nothing is happening in Brighton atm. @Steve Murr could you please help, do you see anything in your map?

just keep an eye on the radar and track the snow pushing up from northwest France

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
11 minutes ago, leemondo said:

I thought we were in for a very snowy period today and tomorrow, seems to.have missed us down here, is the main band not coming through until later or is this it? 

Cheers

There is more precipitation moving N/NE across northwestern France which may clip us later today, most of the heavy snow will be across SW England and Wales - hence the Red Warning

radar_1000.thumb.png.a587cb60d36170b12e7845151cc7d5e8.png

Brutal 30 minute walk to take my son to school and back, the severe wind chill combined with snow blowing in the face is quite something. This youth went bombing past on his bike on a residential road covered in compacted icy snow and on a bend he took at the bottom of a slope came off his bike spectacularly, too far away to ask if he was ok, but would have probably told me too F off anyway. I don't think the urban youth have any concept of ice and seem invincible, be it in  car or on a bike.

BBC/Meteogroup going for 3C in the capital today, can't see that happening

temp_uk.thumb.png.a11cdde39fb89600448b5ce3ec4a35d7.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

The snow has just stopped a few minutes ago in South Ockendon. Yesterday I put suet seed filled coconut shells for the birds. Where I left my bootprints in the snow on the garden path, the bootprints have now all completely disappeared.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Worth noting that area of snow IS a possibility for the far west of this region. I know personally for I'm probably right on the edge and it could go either way forit.

For the majority of the region though that is indeed the worst of it till tomorrow morning when the next front comes through.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy all weather but LOVE snow and thunderstorms

Silly question but can someone help me not sure why my like symbols have disappeared from my post can anyone tell me how to get them back:cc_confused: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Snow Saturday evening according to the icon

icon-10-63.png?01-06

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

A bit of light, blowing snow first thing this morning. Nothing since!! Steve please don't say those dreaded words 'rain on the south coast!!' Already feel disappointed after this morning efforts and was counting on tomorrow! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Storm That Lasts 3 Days
7 minutes ago, mrkipling said:

just keep an eye on the radar and track the snow pushing up from northwest France

which radar is the best for this, some of them don't show further france

Posted

Really not had anything in this area (Arundel) to write home about the past couple of days. Missed out on the northsea streamers and this mornings preciptation passed over with a super fine dusting that blew away in the wind lol. 

Keeping a keen eye on things for tonight tomorrow, fingers crossed ??. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Isnt that minus 3 with the minus hidden by the minus 4 above it....Cant be 3 degrees?

Can confirm it’s -3.8C frigid colder than 2010 this. :shok:

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
10 minutes ago, Nick F said:

There is more precipitation moving N/NE across northwestern France which may clip us later today, most of the heavy snow will be across SW England and Wales - hence the Red Warning

radar_1000.thumb.png.a587cb60d36170b12e7845151cc7d5e8.png

Brutal 30 minute walk to take my son to school and back, the severe wind chill combined with snow blowing in the face is quite something. This youth went bombing past on his bike on a residential road covered in compacted icy snow and on a bend he took at the bottom of a slope came off his bike spectacularly, too far away to ask if he was ok, but would have probably told me too F off anyway. I don't think the urban youth have any concept of ice and seem invincible, be it in  car or on a bike.

BBC/Meteogroup going for 3C in the capital today, can't see that happening

temp_uk.thumb.png.a11cdde39fb89600448b5ce3ec4a35d7.png

Deffo minus 3,as the colour indicator is blue,plus 3 will be a lighter shade of green I presume

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
3 minutes ago, turkishfella said:

which radar is the best for this, some of them don't show further france

Try this one, turkishfella.

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Posted
2 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Isnt that minus 3 with the minus hidden by the minus 4 above it....Cant be 3 degrees?

Is -3C, but was referring to the BBC forecast max temp in London, not the current obs that I posted - which won't warm up much from those values recently given cloud cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring

So is that it for West Kent as the met office says ? This weather front that's gonna hit the South West won't come near us will it ?

Posted
21 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Thankyou Steve. I can stop radar watching for a while.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Hilram and Arpege paint a great picture for this afternoon and evening and again for tomorrow morning 

overview_018.thumb.jpg.884e63523f979dccf5000909f884aa62.jpg

overview_024.thumb.jpg.9fe1e2f9e79e54940150d3fc5d5ca246.jpg

overview_010.thumb.jpg.d353de8d3e59ac5616b8bdf552fa57fe.jpg

overview_016.thumb.jpg.22df04ed5f8cb2f480aca35a6759f17e.jpgoverview_013.thumb.jpg.f6e9a72a8b93f9c8bfdf729b11674df7.jpg

Let’s hope it’s on to something, as that puts you and I well and truly in the ‘win zone’

Posted
13 minutes ago, mrkipling said:

That doesn't explain the current MetO forecast for today as that area of snow won't reach us until tonight (if it does reach us)