Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
Just now, paget said:

Morning ?

Very fine snow and high winds here in Farnham, Surrey 

Temp -4.4

dp -6.4 

That's from a band that's moved up from the channel.

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Our fine snow is slowly turning into bigger flakes

actually starting to lay for the first time this week, exciting even if it is just a dusting! 

(farnham,Surrey) 

• Like 2

Posted

The 2nd band has moved inland and light snow has started in Steyning. Should get a bit heavier.  It will reach Farnham in due course.

Edited by Come rain snow or shine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot

Waiting for that band of PPN to get out the channel and up to Ashford is painful!   It's moving so slow, seems to be shrinking and losing intensity. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Pinch, Punch, blah, blah, blah and all that. Well March, certainly looks like coming in like a lion, listening to the wind howling outside , at the moment!! Some very interesting weather, about to be unleashed too, from a Meteorological, pandoras' box.

Speaking to Ian Currie ( Sorry, name dropping again ), he reminded me that, some of the UKs most notable snowfalls', have occurred, in March. Citing 1891, as a good example. No, I wasn't around then, thank you, although I know I do ramble on like an old f..t!!:D See below for synoptic chart, from 1891.

archives-1891-3-10-0-0.png

March started mild but on the 6th, a depression moved into Norway dragging down colder air across the UK. High pressure was intensifying in the Atlantic and the winds turned into the NE bringing even colder air. On the 9th, a depression moved into the Brest area of France and this engaged the colder air over the UK. Dry powdery snow fell across many parts of the West Country and this spread across other southern counties of England. On the 10th, the depression deepened and a severe easterly gale blew in the Channel and there was continuous heavy snow and blizzards across southern counties of England. As the first Channel depression moved away, another one entered the Brest region and the snow and gales returned to the West Country again but this system moved into France rather than along the Channel and counties bordering the eastern part of the Channel missed the blizzards this time. By this stage, Cornwall and Devon were virtually cut off by enormous drifts and deep snow cover. It was estimated that Dartmoor had between 1 to 1 and a half metres of snow and snow depths of 15cm+ was reported south west of a line from Kent to Gwynedd.

Thanks to Weather Historys', brilliant synopsis, of that event. :clap:

Another, superb early March snowfall, occurred in 1970. See synoptic chart and write-up below.

archives-1970-3-4-12-0.png

A polar low, developed in the northerly flow and became a fully, fledged low, over our region and gave us a right pasting. See description of the event, below.

1970 Very cold (3.7C CET) overall. The month started with northerly winds. There was a major and unexpected snowfall on the 4th, heavy enough to bring down power lines in Kent. Some parts of Northants. and Beds. reported about 40 cms of snow, with the deepest being nearly 48cm near Northampton. Snow fell heavily for twelve hours across a wide part of the south. In parts of the north southeast (if you see what I mean) and the East Midlands it was the heaviest snowfall since 1947. Near Bedford 36 cms of snow lay after 24 hours of snow. The snow was followed by some low temperatures in a northerly air flow, with -15C recorded. The snow covered lasted for more than a week, in sunshine.

Thanks to Trevor Harleys, wonderful site.

A few days ago, my daughter Hayley, asked Dad, for a forecast for tonight, as herself and her boyfriend, are planning to go and watch, their beloved Arsenal, play Man.City. Now like me, you're probably asking yourselves, why would you want to travel from Chislehurst to North London, sit in the freezing cold, for 2 hours, to watch your team, get humiliated, for the second time, in five days!:nonono: I do fear for them, though but good luck to them, if the game, goes ahead? Along with my daughter, my son is also, a Gooner!!

Fortunately, Hayley was in Toronto, when Arsenal played Tottenham, a few Saturdays', ago. Arsenal were woeful, that day and the margin have been more, than the 1-0, scoreline. I'm sure Ed Stone and Mr. Hotspur. from Locksbottom, are still dining out, on that result!!

And to think, I was a Spurs fan, when I was a boy. I remember trying to emulate Jimmy Greaves ( really showing my age, now ), every Sat. evening, after the legend had bagged, another hat full of goals, against another opponent!!

But true to form, of someone, with Italian blood, changed my allegiance to AC Milan, many moons ago. I know, us Italians are always changing sides, when the going gets tough! Let's trot out all the Italian, 2nd World War jokes!! Italian tanks, are the only tanks, with a reverse gear, etc, etc.:D

At least we have a decent National Anthem and some culinary delights. And please don't cite, Spag Bol!! It doesn't exist in Bologna, it's Tagliatelle al'Ragu, thank you!! No self-respecting, Bolognese, would be caught eating, spaghetti, :nonono:

Anyway, let's hope that the snowfall over the next few days, somewhere over the next few days, will join Ian Curries' list of great British March snowfalls, hopefully in our region.

To think, I lie awake, thinking about posting this nonsense!!:DMy poor, suffering wife, despairs of me!!:oops: 

Hope you all enjoy, another snow-watching day.

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
Just now, Steve Murr said:

-5.1c

Snizzard.

Steve, do you think there is a good probability of a Thames streamer setting up prior to the arriving fronts from the Channel ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.
1 minute ago, Marie said:

Nothing falling in Brighton , -3.6 

The radar says it's very close to you.

4 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

Steve, do you think there is a good probability of a Thames streamer setting up prior to the arriving fronts from the Channel ?

No - As you cant get both together- however as it comes up certainly moisture being sucked in from the East will aid the front & support it-

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

It should be snowing according to radar but it’s not. 

Hope this is not it for the day already lol

Posted

Talking of snow in the merry month of March - a polar low swept south over the UK on the 4th, dumping several inches.

In March 1964 or '65, a bit later in the month, a trough centred over Lincolnshire moved south and dumped  a load on Peterborough.    

Edited by Come rain snow or shine
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, tomp456 said:

It should be snowing according to radar but it’s not. 

Hope this is not it for the day already lol

Should be. It's snowing in Steyning, from the same band.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring

Morning everyone hope you're all well, decided to sign up after lurking last night and getting excited reading this thread. Has this low system moved more to the east than met office were saying ? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

The updated fax show quite well by 1800 the front covering a wider area spreading east towards I strongly think this is gonna be an historic event with many places including parts of London seeing 20cm + time will tell but I expect the forecasts to change as day goes.

Screenshot_20180301-062711.png

• Like 3

Posted

Teflon coating still holding in Sandwich, phew! Yup, that was sarcasm.

C'mon! I want my pretty back! I want to catch pokemon in the snow! I want a snow day! 

Edited by soopdragoon
Spelling
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Good morning! light snow being blown around on a strong E wind. current temp. -3.1C, Dew point -7.0C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
4 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

Should be. It's snowing in Steyning, from the same band.

Right on cue. 

Maybe it’s been snowing the whole time but unable to see due to size and not settling because of wind