Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
3 hours ago, shotski said:

ECM 46 dayer was also hinting at this so it’s certainly not alone. Look at this 2 meter temp anomaly for 7th March ?  interesting 

4F137B66-3BF1-4E44-9163-5D2EA2CA4765.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, london-snow said:

Well getting just over 10cms of snow here, (stopped around a hour ago) what a sight for sore eyes ? first time I’ve seen disruptive snow laying overnight since 2010, Tomorrow looks great also ?

Weren't you dismissing this cold spell earlier this week? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers & Thunderstorms Cold Winters & Snow

Is Hilram's forecast for about now the closest to the actual situation right now, just out of interest?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Seems that lot heading through france is rapidly moving north-east,are we due anything from this,be nice,seeing as i've missed nearly all the fun

Posted
30 minutes ago, surrey snowboy said:

Just travelled by train from London to Dorking. Everywhere white until we got out of the tunnel under the North Downs. Looking at radar, seems like there’s a noticeable snow shadow to the south of the downs. Hopefully tomorrow will make up for it! 

Yep, we have been a little out of the picture. I would like to say that I am happy about the lack of disruption as I have so much work to do before going on holiday on Friday (or perhaps not). But then I would be lying to myself...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
6 minutes ago, CrimsonSunset said:

BBC forecast just now was rather unremarkable for tomorrow for London. Friday looks promising though 

Friday looks amazing but I expect tomorrow to be pretty decent as well

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
3 minutes ago, Ben Blizzard said:

Is Hilram's forecast for about now the closest to the actual situation right now, just out of interest?

Yes, though that doesn't necessarily mean it'll stay that way

• Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, CrimsonSunset said:

BBC forecast just now was rather unremarkable for tomorrow for London. Friday looks promising though 

I suspect Thursday may throw quite decent surprise, London may well be on the eastern edge of the really decent stuff after the morning but there is enough to suggest at least enough to cause transport issues. Met office going to have a difficult call now on whether to extend to Amber warning eastwards again.

• Like 4

ARPEGE takes heavier snowfall much further east on the 18z. A ridiculous amount of uncertainty given we're at 24 hours.

It's going to come down to radar watching and now casting as usual it seems.

snowdepth_033.jpg?2018022818

Edited by Sainsbo
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, FlightlessWings said:

Yep, we have been a little out of the picture. I would like to say that I am happy about the lack of disruption as I have so much work to do before going on holiday on Friday (or perhaps not). But then I would be lying to myself...

Haha! Yes, it's quite challenging putting a positive spin on Dorking's comparative lack of snow, especially since Leatherhead and Epsom joined the party today!

• Like 1

^^ & thats before Friday !!!

double bubble !

Right having an early one -

-5c here & last of the light snow.

Still 14cm on the ground- happy with 5 tomorrow after all the upgrades but be amazed with Hirlam / Aperge if they came off !

• Like 4

Posted

Had to drive down to Horley from Reigate this evening. Usual accident on the a217 has closed the road. Unbelievably cold out of the car - flurries of snow being blown in the biting wind but nothing of note.

• Like 1

Posted

Just had a quick sled down tankerton slopes, I only had 1 go, great Fun, but the wind is brutal, it takes your breathe away. Like nothing I've ever experienced in the UK.

-5 on the drive home, with cloud cover very impressive. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, surrey snowboy said:

Haha! Yes, it's quite challenging putting a positive spin on Dorking's comparative lack of snow, especially since Leatherhead and Epsom joined the party today!

I actually went up to Epsom for an appointment today - left a very sunny Dorking behind to arrive for the onset of a very heavy shower. We often get more than others but not this time.

I am staying in Leatherhead tomorrow so I can be closer to the M25, just in case the snow hits hard on Thursday night/Friday. 

I also got some unexpected deep snow where I was staying on the 26th/27th December last year so at least I have seen some this winter!

Edited by FlightlessWings

Posted
7 minutes ago, Sainsbo said:

ARPEGE takes heavier snowfall much further east on the 18z. A ridiculous amount of uncertainty given we're at 24 hours.

It's going to come down to radar watching and now casting as usual it seems.

snowdepth_033.jpg?2018022818

Also that is WITHOUT any snow on Friday day time.

Ignore the WRF-NNM, its so far incorrect with the placement ofthe front its a joke, 18z run goes into the bin (its at least 150 miles too far south at 3hrs out!) Front is probably 4hrs ahead of it already!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

That wind is no joke, cant really remember the wind feeling like that before. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
6 minutes ago, surrey snowboy said:

Think we really have been the only part of Surrey not have been invited to the party!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Having a look at the various models..

HIRLAM and APERGE are closest to real world observations, it just so happens both of those models bury our entire region.

5a97363c4cb34_ScreenShot2018-02-28at22_59_31.thumb.png.33e748a8e6eb628e72420c91fb8c3d6e.png

snowdepth_048.thumb.jpg.cfe14d192462dacae63fdfb7b77ccf10.jpg

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur

Radar shows it heading North/North-East directly towards us. GFS is about 150 miles wrong so that can be completely discounted.

EURO4 not interested and keeps it West

EURO4.thumb.gif.b8351d427ec23d5025ebf66d5e2fd7c7.gif

So.. no idea whats going to happen. Keep an eye on the radar, the sudden shift Eastwards now the low has developed is definitely an encouraging one. 10-15cm max on top of what some have already would be absolutely epic!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, John Stevens said:

Think we really have been the only part of Surrey not have been invited to the party!

Hopefully we'll receive the invites tomorrow! Feels so wrong to be looking out at the bare slopes of Denbies and Box Hill when London is smothered!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
4 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

Think you will be joining the party in the next 48hrs:good:

Posted
54 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

ARGEPE 18Z just coming out, MASSIVE upgrade for Sussex, Surrey and London tomorrow night. Would expect amber warning to shift eastwards tomorrow morning if this is repeated on other models.

lol

overview_026.jpg?2018022818

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!
8 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

No Charlwood has been pretty much left out too. A splattering of snow and mostly green grass left from Monday and yesterday. Blue skies and bright sunshine all day.

Edited by Storme

Posted

After nothing of note from this event so far, this evening has marked a massive turnaround for the better ?

We’ve has persistent snow for most of the evening which is now rather heavy. A nice cover is now developing!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
2 minutes ago, surrey snowboy said:

Hopefully we'll receive the invites tomorrow! Feels so wrong to be looking out at the bare slopes of Denbies and Box Hill when London is smothered!

Couldn't agree more. Normally we're inundated in Holmbury while everyone else is still green... Looking forward to the morning