Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
22 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

whilst that looks good, look further on-

lunchtime-

hirlamuk-1-24-0.thumb.png.95906a483261ba4eafea7bfe55faac91.png

evening-

hirlamuk-1-30-0.thumb.png.5a66b90fcb8185358517866621610715.png

lets hope the hirlam is bang on!

if that's correct the bottom 2 thirds of the country are going to come to complete stand still.

• Like 1

Posted

Getting heavier ! Wonder why they revoked the yellow warning - given that the Thames is on fiyah! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham

Met Office pressure chart for 12 noon Sat shows a modest high pressure system over south west norway, having moved there from north norway, where it was 12 hours earlier, and seemingly grow in size.  Will it beef itself up and thus disrupt milder air incursion into the UK from the south...

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/surface-pressure/#?tab=surfacePressureColour&fcTime=1520035200

Edited by Come rain snow or shine
more info, and a typo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Snowing again:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

Light snow shower just started here 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

Dusk and snow now....settling and getting very windy.  Had a snow day here, wonder what tomorrow will bring? 

• Like 2

Posted

Snow falling in central London, near Covent Garden, over past 15 minutes, turning roads white again even as they're driven on. Blizzardy with the wind. Looks like more to come...

• Like 1

Posted

Ice day here in Heathfield as max reached -1.0C. Now -5.1C

No snow at all here so far today but a biting wind with snow blowing around.

Now for tomorrow--what will that bring.??

Posted
12 minutes ago, snowking said:

Just to try and keep things a little bit balanced in here, the 12z UKMO-GM definitely a bit further West with things:

image.thumb.png.b6e3414b153ac9ce88f026f67a5f84d4.pngimage.thumb.png.d56dd2de98a51c52495f9bd64e807ddf.pngP1_GZ_D5_PN_030_0000.gifP1_GZ_D5_PN_036_0000.gif

This really will be a wake up and look at the radar job tomorrow for us I'm afraid. It will be interesting to see the 12z EURO4, which I assume is initialised with the same data as the UKMO-GM

yeah further West all the models different but when comparing each model to its run this morning they have all moved at least slightly east, so good trend for us, just don't mention it to the south West tread, if we get, it be will bonus for us as not expected, also NNM is now showing showers in south east all night as I suppose the shift east is creating more instability while the winds are still strong and we still have minus 12 to 14 uppers till about  3-4 hours before front arrives.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
1 hour ago, John Stevens said:

Looking like the radar is going to give the Surrey Hills a slight dusting....but then look at the predicted track and it seems to bounce back to the north west. just at the wrong point...d’oh

Although beginning to snow here lightly now....

That's exactly what happened.... Watched the deep dark cloud creep up.... Throw a heavy flurry at us.... Then go off again

Posted
10 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Doesn’t look great for us tomorrow

Depends on what you want, for the west of the area it looks ok for probably 3-6cms which is probably about where the mean of the models is at the moment. Not so good the further east you go, but for most of you guys in the east, you've more than had your fill anyway now ;) 

• Like 5

Posted
17 minutes ago, Honey said:

Getting heavier ! Wonder why they revoked the yellow warning - given that the Thames is on fiyah! 

Exactly! I mean, it's been on and off this afternoon but when it has snowed, it has snowed hard! Far, far heavier than the snow which came with the Amber alert on Monday night.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Depends on what you want, for the west of the area it looks ok for probably 3-6cms which is probably about where the mean of the models is at the moment. Not so good the further east you go, but for most of you guys in the east, you've more than had your fill anyway now ;) 

Hi! You're not living in Ockendon anymore then? I always used to look out for your posts as someone local to me! not that I don't read them now of course!  

Posted
1 minute ago, Meggy said:

Hi! You're not living in Ockendon anymore then? I always used to look out for your posts as someone local to me! not that I don't read them now of course!  

Unfortunately I'm now on the other side of the region! That being said I gave Ockendon a visit today, nice covering of snow there, even if most of the morning the streamer was literally miles to the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat
Just now, kold weather said:

Unfortunately I'm now on the other side of the region! That being said I gave Ockendon a visit today, nice covering of snow there, even if most of the morning the streamer was literally miles to the north.

We've had a few heavyish horizontal showers late afternoon, one of which I got caught in, but it hasn't got above -1 in my back yard today. Lethal underfoot too!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Very surprised an amber warning wasn’t put in place for parts of Essex and London today considering how much snow has fallen. 

There is a yellow warning in force but even that only scrapes the northern part of the M25

• Like 1