Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

looks like i am under a streamer from ENE :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
4 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

To me the Dutch radar seems to be struggling with the direction?

Dutch Radar

Compared to Netweather Radar

Cancel that, I refreshed and it seems to of adjusted the flow.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Everything heading to the south of me now. This event just keeps turning out to be a huge let down for us west of London.

If the low tomorrow / Friday doesn’t deliver, I’ll be glad to see Spring!

Don’t want to sound gloomy, but for this part of the region, it’s been absolute crap!

Its been a strange one here in Reading as well. Great temps and incredible to see. Part of the Thames is frozen. However, we only have a dusting.

Showers to the east, north, south and west. Its been unbelievable

Edited by ptow
spelling
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Southender said:

Not sure what ARPEGE is smoking but it is going for 2-4cm across the region by tomorrow evening

8972_lxi6.png

who knows what is going to happen  tomorrow/Friday/Saturday. all 4 models out so far this afternoon (GFS, ICON, ARPEGE, GEM) have placement of low, angle of approach and even strength quite different by as early as midnight tonight. GEM wants to bury us tomorrow then has  Friday as snow to freezing rain to rain. ARPEGE wants to give us nice amount tomorrow then warm up Friday. GFS and ICON have most of the snow over West country with only light showers for West of region tomorrow but staying cold to at least Saturday.

Edit that the GEM then brings the cold back in before Friday night/Saturday  when more snow arrives lets hope the GEM is correct.

hopefully tonight's runs give more clear picture. 

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

Light snow in Epsom, would be a blizzard if it was heavier as the wind is VERY strong!! Is this the start of a Storeamer or just a random?!x

EDIT: Sun's now out again :wallbash::rofl:

Three miles away in Surbiton we have had nearly continuous snow showers for around an hour, blowing very nicely in the wind and topping up the melted snow from earlier. As with you I headed off to the local park with the sledge at 10.30am and the snow had melted; hoping for some big totals Thursday and Friday to remember the good old days. NESCOT in Epsom has closed the special needs educational unit of the college tomorrow and Friday due to the weather, probably because most of the students need transport and/or are physically or intellectually vulnerable for the journey there and back. My son is now super-excited for two snow days:)

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, ptow said:

Its n a strange one here in Reading as well. Great temps and incredible to see. Part of the Thames is frozen. However, we only have a dusting.

It’s so frustrating for us, especially when most of region is doing so well.

As a snow fan, it’s just Sod’s law nothing exciting has happened here!

Posted
2 minutes ago, ptow said:

Its been a strange one here in Reading as well. Great temps and incredible to see. Part of the Thames is frozen. However, we only have a dusting.

Tomorrow for you

Posted
10 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Everything heading to the south of me now. This event just keeps turning out to be a huge let down for us west of London.

Don’t want to sound gloomy, but for this part of the region, it’s been absolute crap!

For you it could go either way some of the models are suggesting that you will get hit quite hard because you're far enough West other models keep the best action to the west of both yourself and I actually.

The gfs has come kicking and screaming in some of agreement with the ecm now and the other higher resolution models. However there are still big differences between the Lights of gfs which would literally give us maybe two centimetres at most, and some of the other high-resolution models which I dump in the best part of 6 inches on us.

Afraid to say or just come down to watching tomorrow and see what happens we should get a pretty good idea by I'd probably say about midnight tonight how its likely to evolve based on the comparison between the model output and the radar coming from the channel area.

PS the dusting of snow I had was so small I could actually see the individual flakes so don't worry I'm sure you're still doing better than me!!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

Been out for a bit of sledging with the kids. Strong wind starting to drift snow. In places drifts were well over knees. A few light flurries whilst out too which was a surprise but radar now showing a few little blobs around Kent ☺ temp falling away Dow.to -3.3c from a 'max' of -2.1c earlier.

Posted
2 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

It’s so frustrating for us, especially when most of region is doing so well.

As a snow fan, it’s just Sod’s law nothing exciting has happened here!

Maybe we will get lucky tonight, tomorrow or Friday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

really coming down hard:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
3 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I can relate to that although we have a cm at the moment blowing around. I think it’s the fact that the conditions are so right for settling it’s a shame we just can’t get any depth of shower going even for say an hour !!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Tomorrow for you

Hope you are right. We have literally been in between 2 thames streamers today!

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

For you it could go either way some of the models are suggesting that you will get hit quite hard because you're far enough West other models keep the best action to the west of both yourself and I actually.

The gfs has come kicking and screaming in some of agreement with the ecm now and the other higher resolution models. However there are still big differences between the Lights of gfs which would literally give us maybe two centimetres at most, and some of the other high-resolution models which I dump in the best part of 6 inches on us.

Afraid to say or just come down to watching tomorrow and see what happens we should get a pretty good idea by I'd probably say about midnight tonight how its likely to evolve based on the comparison between the model output and the radar coming from the channel area.

PS the dusting of snow I had was so small I could actually see the individual flakes so don't worry I'm sure you're still doing better than me!!

Totally agree re the models and fingers crossed it falls on our favour for once.

All the snow we had last night (well the dusting) has now melted, apart from the odd patch in the shade.

2009 / 10 really delivered for us here, but this has been a joke ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
14 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I feel your pain x 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, maria reardon said:

measured 9in in the back garden this morning so had 3in overnight, really hoping it doesnt thaw and it can add to it :)

Was just going to put how we had pretty much the same until I saw that you’re in the same place as me lol

Posted
1 minute ago, Badgers01 said:

I can relate to that although we have a cm at the moment blowing around. I think it’s the fact that the conditions are so right for settling it’s a shame we just can’t get any depth of shower going even for say an hour !!

I only wanted to see a couple of inches on the ground, but it seems this area has a permanent snow shield around it ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
1 minute ago, Cableguy said:

Heavy Snow in West Byfleet Surrey

Yep Cobham is now getting a hefty shower !

Posted

Can anyone say what tomorrow & Friday should be like in Thurrock? My son’s school closed today and they are saying they aren’t expecting anymore bad weather tonight/tomorrow and will try and open in the morning. I know everything is uncertain, but what is the likelihood? Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Just checking in. Nothing to report in Charlwood. Blue skies and sun all day. Deeply bitter wind chill. Have defrosted the chickens drinking water 3 times then gave up and just took them out fresh. Looks like we are out of any Amber zones and may scrape by with a cm or 2 by tomorrow and Friday.