Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way
50 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Im really not complaining folks, we have done brilliantly, just looking at the current data at it seems this particular event is finished for most of Kent!

Off again.... surprised after the “you’re not feeling it” for any snow in Medway on Monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

In danger of losing my iceday.

Currently -1.6 but rose to -0.4

Looking good for all of us Friday if this comes off. With possibly a few areas west of the county getting some flurries tmrow. Very mch down to nowcasting the next few days , but frontal snow will plse all.

Screenshot_2018-02-28-13-43-59.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, mulzy said:

I think you've probably had less sunshine I guess.

It's now -1.1C but I reached a high of -0.2C - still an ice day - quite incredible for our part of the world in late February.

There’s been decent stretches but seems cloudy from now on..

the good layer of snow is keeping it even more cold which fell last night which is now compacted snow and ice which is under a fresh layer, been very wintry here since Monday.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Sublimation.

Thought sublimation was a solid to a gas? There was definitely liquid too lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Home alone next couple of days and off....looking forward to drinking some whisky and waiting for the snow....

BFTP

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It’s not gone above -2C here so far and all the snow in the sun has gone. Thought that was a bit wierd?!

Same here, any snow that has had sun on it has melted. A bit gutted watching the radar to see the snow line just a few miles north of here this morning so we didn't get the central London blizzards out this way. But mustn't be greedy, can't complain about the snow that fell overnight. 

snowpark2.jpg

snowpark1.jpg

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Is it me or does that lot in the Estuary/Lower North Sea start to track more NW towards North London and Midlands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
46 minutes ago, pages said:

I am pretty confident north Kent will get more snow around 4pm. Not as much as last 2 nights but still a top up look at the radar estuary is slowly starting to fire up as winds increase, winds will be from East at upper levels should be enough convection for light snow more so for north Essex/East anglian coast.

Be interesting to see what happens when sun drops. Last night it froze up instantly and when we had even tiny bits coming down it immediately added to the layer. It's still possible but looking more doubtful than the past couple of night.

Posted
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
  • Weather Preferences: Snow November to March. Heat and sun late April to early October
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
45 minutes ago, snowray said:

Its funny around here on the border with Kent and near the Thames estuary, boom or bust, and Kent past Dartford has its own mini climate when its a NEly thats blowing. I was getting a bit worried yesterday that it was going to be a bust not just for here but for London too, and then the wind direction changed to any easterly. Did you get some in the end, your in London I take it?

It would be really cool if we could end this cold snap with general snowfall for everyone Thur-Sat.

I've literally been the dividing line just the wrong side all day-Can see constant stream of showers blowing through Essex up to London I'm just too far south yet last couple days too far north&West bloody typical! NE not good for here nor ESEly need ENEly again. Suns been out all day in Gravesend and melted half the snow?

Edited by John Michael How
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
8 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Sublimation.

Hi Steve,

Yes, Mon, Tues, we had this in Lee, not often seen this, where the air is so cold and dry, the snow just, evaporates, Nice crisp and even cover, of around 2 inches, last night, though. Get the flow into that ENE direction, with those bitterly cold, 850 temps, flowing over it, and the Thames Estuary, will do the rest.

SUBLIMATION: "The process of phase transition from solid directly to vapor in the absence of melting. Thus an ice crystal or icicle sublimes under low relative humidity at temperatures below 0°C. The process is analogous to evaporation of a liquid".

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 2

Posted

Incredible Temps for SE Essex still at -3c with a -10c dewpoint and hardly any snowmelt, Icicles approaching 3 feet hanging off the Conservatory

Latest BBC thoughts not looking great for anyway east of a line IOW up through oxford and over to Northern Ireland

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
Just now, Paul Sherman said:

Incredible Temps for SE Essex still at -3c with a -10c dewpoint and hardly any snowmelt, Icicles approaching 3 feet hanging off the Conservatory

Latest BBC thoughts not looking great for anyway east of a line IOW up through oxford and over to Northern Ireland

For the rest of the day or tomorrow/Friday Paul?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Latest MET video update has snow over north Kent from about 3pm/4pm and running through the night with some quite heavy stuff in the morning..!

Strange how that is not showing in their text forecast.

• Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Thought sublimation was a solid to a gas? There was definitely liquid too lol

No sublimation here. It’s just melting due to the strength of the sun. Sublimation would suggest a transfer from a solid to a gas with no liquid phase. It’s definitely wet here where snow melted in the sun.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

BBC have just given us a massive upgrade for this afternoon heavy snow showers then heavy snow till midnight. It is coming over slightly more cloudier now but I doubt that forecast will be right

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

About 4cm here last night on top of the 3cm from previous nite.

Nothing Epic but fun to be had.

Bck down to -2.4 here now so first ice day this year nailed i would think. ( rose to 0.4c yesterday)

Back garden still good cover.

Front patchy in Sun.

20180228_081814.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

No sublimation here. It’s just melting due to the strength of the sun. Sublimation would suggest a transfer from a solid to a gas with no liquid phase. It’s definitely wet here where snow melted in the sun.

Definitely had liquid here, that then fairly quickly evaporated. I remember sublimation from some of the icy spells in the 80’s-90’s, happens so rarely here. Did you get much snow? 

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL

I'm a bit confused as to which way the showers on the radar are heading - they've been heading East uo the Thames most of the day, have they now changed to a more SW'ly direction? 

Edited by EWS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
3 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

BBC have just given us a massive upgrade for this afternoon heavy snow showers then heavy snow till midnight. It is coming over slightly more cloudier now but I doubt that forecast will be right

?we need a top up please! 

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Definitely had liquid here, that then fairly quickly evaporated. I remember sublimation from some of the icy spells in the 80’s-90’s, happens so rarely here. Did you get much snow? 

Yes, evaporation rates do appear to be high, I guess thanks to the very low dewpoints.

We didn’t get much here, maybe 1cm overnight. How about you?

Posted
15 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Wind direction changed here now, coming from more of a NE direction 

Excellent.