Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
4 minutes ago, rubble79 said:

Always in the wrong place. Quite frustrating

I wouldn’t say that I’ve been in the wrong place for five years. But I’ve struck good since yesterday. With the snow shower trains last night, it was some of the heaviest snowfall I’ve even seen. You can’t beat a good easterly, anything polar maritime and I’m not interested you just can’t get this dry snow here. Better than March 2013 here without doubt, powder on ground for second day decent thickness, blowing about in wind is this real. :D 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Haha, she probably voted Brexit too!

Spot on. It was in Steyning. *Very* brexit area. And she was probably over age 70 - not that all pensioners are brexiters.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme
1 minute ago, Daenerys said:

What are the current thoughts on the next low coming in from the SW? FOR thurs/Fri? 

A massive dump fo snow in a line from Epsom to Motspur Park

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I wouldn’t say that I’ve been in the wrong place for five years. But I’ve struck good since yesterday. With the snow shower trains last night, it was some of the heaviest snowfall I’ve even seen. You can’t beat a good easterly, anything polar maritime and I’m not interested you just can’t get this dry snow here. Better than March 2013 here without doubt, powder on ground for second day decent thickness, blowing about in wind is this real. :D 

Gosh your Twitter feed must be a right jizz fest at the moment! I dare not venture there.

I'm genuinely happy for you. :)

• Like 1

Posted

It is interesting to see how the much vaunted increased power of the sun by the last day of February has little impact on thick snow cover and indeed the feel of the day when we get a genuinely cold airstream like this one.

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

Wonderful sunny day but bitter and wind getting up starting to blow the snow around. Measured 18cm yesterday pm and then another 5cm yesterday evening from a few v heavy showers but nothing since and not expecting anything more at least for today here in mid Kent  (nr charing). Temp -2.2c currently. Last night min was around -8c but seen posts suggesting as low as -14c or so in parts of Kent last night. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Daenerys said:

What are the current thoughts on the next low coming in from the SW? FOR thurs/Fri? 

No idea! Even at less than 24 hours out most pros are still unsure how far north and east it will track.

• Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Polar can deliver big time, when a trough or polar low moves south over the UK, with temps sub zero.  It has happend in March before, too, but with temps less sub zero in the day.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kentish Man said:

It is interesting to see how the much vaunted increased power of the sun by the last day of February has little impact on thick snow cover and indeed the feel of the day when we get a genuinely cold airstream like this one.

Yes indeed. Zero melt here under constant sunshine all morning. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
13 minutes ago, seb said:

Warnings are in force for Friday, Thursday? Sat is now an ice warning.

For Kent they do not. We have a single snow warning now, look on the map, it has been pulled almost entirely out of Kent now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 minutes ago, throwoff said:

For Kent they do not. We have a single snow warning now, look on the map, it has been pulled almost entirely out of Kent now.

At least Kent has seen loads of snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
25 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Yes and a warm Towel and fresh jumper :)

4412EFE2-1015-427F-BE8D-FA3686D6FAB0.jpeg

lol!...a jumper?, sounds like he/she has the perfect mistress!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, throwoff said:

You're just outside of it in Gillingham, but not by much and it could all easily push east. Looks like the boundary is a line from Maidstone across to Dover.

Edited by Mac_SE
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

At least Kent has seen loads of snow. 

Not this little bit here in the south east of the south east! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Im really not complaining folks, we have done brilliantly, just looking at the current data at it seems this particular event is finished for most of Kent!

Posted
Just now, throwoff said:

Im really not complaining folks, we have done brilliantly, just looking at the current data at it seems this particular event is finished for most of Kent!

Really?

2018-02-28 12_56_18-Meteociel.fr - Modèle GFS pour le Royaume-Uni_Irlande, résolution 0.25 degré.png

Posted
7 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Nope.

Warning for tomorrow covering half of the Southeast, Friday all of us (both for snow, tomorrow also for wind) and then Saturday one for ice. See screen grabs.

EC6D4442-71FA-4B7B-B835-543417C71656.png

A3BCF0C7-E22A-4BE0-9E43-FCA71B6AB3DA.png

7CD5CFE5-A4BE-4BA6-8A84-4BAEFFFE1AF1.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
29 minutes ago, Southender said:

Southend snow machine has shut down for the winter now :sorry:

Absolute scenes the last couple of days, so no complaints. :D

Perhaps a little top up Thur/Fri but that is looking like a glance rather than a blow before we slowly return to normal over the weekend and wave goodbye to winter for this year.

Certainly the most memorable late February spell/snap I can remember...the only disappointing thing I'll say is the longevity other SSW events have been quite long affairs, Dec 2010 and Jan-Mar 2013. maybe it will turn colder again after the milder stuff at the weekend, Not sure I want that now though.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Certainly the most memorable late February spell/snap I can remember...the only disappointing thing I'll say is the longevity other SSW events have been quite long affairs, Dec 2010 and Jan-Mar 2013. maybe it will turn colder again after the milder stuff at the weekend, Not sure I want that now though.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO.Think we all need some warmth now

Posted

One more point about airflows from the north pole: it was a cold front from the north that kicked off the '62-63 winter, on about boxing day.  Although the wind was often from the north east, east and south east, a nice little polar low brought  widespread snow to the UK overnight.