Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Very bright cold, frosty morning, no snow still but trying to be hopeful for Thursday/Friday 

is it looking hopeful for us Western people?

Temp -4.8 (Farnham, Surrey) 

dp - 5.8 

webt down to -11.4 last night! 

• Like 1

Posted

Just been out to do some measuring, we have an average snow depth of 6.5" (16.5cm..) 

image.thumb.png.ffdc1cbe772257ac37121b2c297d58c0.png

Cheers

FC

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
11 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Nothing at all showing on MET for rest of day or tomorrow now. I can’t beleive that from models...

Most forecasts point towards a quiet but cold day today, the met office says heavy snow for us in rye tomorrow and Friday but bbc saying dry tomorrow, I agree models are all saying different then bbc for tomorrow. 

Posted

Low last night of -8.9C. Currently in Heathfield it is -8.4C.

About an extra 2cm of snow, most of which fell between 9.30pm and 11pm 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

The APERGE looks interesting for tomorrow

APERGE.thumb.jpg.8913b10982852ddffb3c57c3495debdf.jpg

Friday not so much

Fri.thumb.jpg.1651fd094897e8f60faf287bc86cff6d.jpg

That’s different from what all forecast suggest and even what the mad thread suggests snow all day Friday pods early sat

• Like 1

Just now, paget said:

Very bright cold, frosty morning, no snow still but trying to be hopeful for Thursday/Friday 

is it looking hopeful for us Western people?

Temp -4.8 (Farnham, Surrey) 

dp - 5.8 

webt down to -11.4 last night! 

Could go either way with regards to tomorrow snow but there is a fair chance it will snow especially for those in the west of the section. With that being said the models are uncertain of the amounts of snow the ecm is far better for us, gfs much less so and it would only give us a couple centimetres probably

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Hirlam, GFS and Arpege showing showers developing in our region again this evening. Not much but it's something:)

hirlamuk-1-19-0.png?28-04

gfs-2-24.png?0

arpegeeur-2-21.png?0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

So there was a bit of a Thames Streamer then?! A very big surprise of 1-2cm in Epsom, looks sooo pretty, especially in the orange hue of the sunrise earlier! Yay!!x

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Well fortunately my wifes'  cab, turned up on time. She's arrived safely and no doubt Chislehurst has more than Lee, being 50 mts, higher. Just estimated, we have between 1 and 2 inches, on our driveway. Must have come down really heavy, as there was nothing on the ground, when I went to bed at 9.30.

Certainly seems that my "option 2" occurred but a few hours earlier, than the models predicted.

The models suggested a nuanced, incremental, veering of the flow, beginning last night, through, to later today. From NE, all stations to> ENE > E > ESE and finally SE. ( All change!:D)

The radar grabs overnight. tell the story.
1. The late evening, dying away, of the NE, shower train.

2. The push westward of snow showers. on an ENE, flow, up the Thames Corridor. ( Now ending )

3. The flow, turning to the E and our area, losing convection ( Happening now )

4. Flow turning ESE and eventually SE. ( Our region, should become mostly dry, as flow will now have long land track, over NE France/Belgium. ) Snow threat, transferring, further up the East coast, to our north. Just depicted now, on Carol "Humdinger" Kirkwoods', weather chart.

I wouldn't rule out, some light snow showers/snow grains, pecking away, at our regions', south coast.

Perhaps, more so , West Sussex/Hants way, with a slightly longer sea track, than further east along the coast, as the English Channel stirs, in response, to those bitterly cold 850s, certainly no guarantee, though.

After being caught out, by my snowfall last night, have decided, not to give up the day job :), not that I can work yet, anyway, after my CVA, in Sept.2015

I have such a debt of gratitude, to this site, for teaching me so much and furthering my interest, in Meteorology!

I  clearly remember, a few years ago, sitting at my computer and watching radar returns, after severe weather warnings were issued, for many parts of our region, when a strong NE/ENE flow, developed. But the southern N.Sea/Thames Estuary, just didn't fire up. :nonono:Why? A warm front stalled, over NE France/Belgium and the overhang of cloud from it, stopped convection, from initiating. A lesson sorely, learnt!!

I've been rather perplexed, by some members comments, about this cold spell, For a start, the models, IMO, superbly identified the S.S.W., coming. Then quickly identified the signal, for northern blocking, to take hold.

How on earth, they expect a model to nail, an exact flow, 4/5 days hence, is beyond me!! Such a micro scale feature, sometimes, just comes down, to radar watching. E.g, the overnight subtle shift, in flow. Literally , 22.5 degrees, on the compass, in terms of the weather, a mere drop in the ocean!!

Some members, have continually bemoaned their luck, re.their lack of snowfall . It simply, isn't luck, it's a case of geography!! I'm old and long in the tooth and have seen many of these, Winter, convective streamer- type set-ups and think I have a fairly good handle, how the weather, takes shape, in our region, during these spells. It simply not possible for all our region, to experience, equal distribution of snowfall. 

IMO, counties of Essex, Kent, Sussex, Surrey ( some parts ) and the eastern half of London, will always benefit more from convective, streamer type set-ups, due to their closeness, to a source of moisture, i.e, Southern N.Sea/ Thames Estuary/English Channel,

So please before you get too excited : CHECK THE DIRECTION OF FLOW, FIRST (sorry to shout )

It really does help and saves  disappointment.

Anyway, that's enough of my ramblings. All eyes on Thurs/Fri, now.

Then there's March, to come!!:diablo: Rob McElwee eyebrow movement! :D

Hope you all have an enjoyable day.

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

• Like 3

Posted

Here’s some pics from this morning. What a stunning winters day.

07468C6A-4ED2-4523-A0F6-76D090C22DD8.jpeg

CBD535B2-20E0-4AB8-97A3-A665C9F95151.jpeg

96E30308-EC4A-4E79-BC3C-2F658066A217.jpeg

8040A7FA-DAE6-4C41-9DC9-7E7FD351D9B6.jpeg

5E873139-20D1-43DC-9E4E-EF80B560B3D2.jpeg

6BB6767F-A6E4-43D7-B342-E5A456EC00C6.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

I have to admit, even though it doesn't compare to historical events (2010, 1991, 1987, etc), this has been quite a good cold spell IMO! plenty of fluffy snow over here, very cold overnight lows, and there is still potential tomorrow!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, A Wintry Mix said:
9 minutes ago, Ellozee said:

IMG_20180228_081245.thumb.jpg.5442f94e2931c25e998800dae8ba23f3.jpg

Anyone want to send me anything? Deal microclimate..

Wow,

Got a quiet a bit in Thanet and we really aren't far away from you.

Guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.. I'm an adult I can handle the disappointment. 

Snooooooooooooooo ???

Posted
16 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

As Daniel says simply stunning out there - Been for a walk temp -6c and if your driving your not going anywhere fast

IMG_2726.JPG

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2732.JPG

Rayleigh Road coping well then Paul :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
12 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

That’s different from what all forecast suggest and even what the mad thread suggests snow all day Friday pods early sat

The APERGE is further East with tomorrows snow so by Friday theres milder air ahead of the front, hence the rain showing.

Euro4 holds the snow further West but doesn't go out far enough to cover Friday yet. Either way, encouraging signs from the APERGE tomorrow, but less so for Friday.

Posted
11 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

So there was a bit of a Thames Streamer then?! A very big surprise of 1-2cm in Epsom, looks sooo pretty, especially in the orange hue of the sunrise earlier! Yay!!x

Saw 1 gritter and it was parked in McDonald’s 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
2 minutes ago, fulham snow said:

Saw 1 gritter and it was parked in McDonald’s 

Having a McFlurry was they :rofl: