Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Swave Snow said:

Not hendon just getting very fine powder 

as usual. Watch the heavy precipitation just miss here

Posted
Just now, Swave Snow said:

Not hendon just getting very fine powder 

Sorry. I am in Surrey at the moment. I live near Cricklewood so it's more than likely the same in Cricklewood as it is in Hendon.

Posted

At this rate i  might be stuck down here, or have to get alternative transport home. Am i right in thinking the Met Office did not forecast this?

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Bricriu said:

At this rate i  might be stuck down, or have to get alternative transport home. Ami i right in thinking the Met Office did not forecast this?

Well we under a yellow warning, this is at least amber worthy! It’s torrential snow here. The roads are now covered.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Bricriu said:

At this rate i  might be stuck down here, or have to get alternative transport home. Am i right in thinking the Met Office did not forecast this?

The yellow alert did say 1-3cms, with up to 10cm locally.

Posted

I woke up just at the right time. Probably had an inch come down in Greenwich, very impressive snowfall rates - this is what happens with a proper continental feed

Just a shame everything is now moving WNW as I had my eye on one last hurrah heading into Essex but that will probably miss us here now

I have to say, when you look at the shape and the timing of the precip and look back at my post from earlier this evening, this has been exceptionally well modelled by the hi res charts tonight

Enjoy everyone - very jealous of the amounts @Daniel Smith has had!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, tasty_snacks said:

The yellow alert did say 1-3cms, with up to 10cm locally.

ok. fair enough. there is about 5 cm here. how much longer do you think this will last?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Easing off a bit now, well what a great surprise that was, defo worth waiting up for. Most of this came down in the last couple of hours, its been drifting too in the wind.:D

20180228_033636.jpg

20180228_033730.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It’s a lot heavier than the radar shows here... the estuary is the best. :) 

Is Surrey part of this effect? The snow has got a bit lighter- but it's still fairly heavy, just not quite the whiteout conditions of earlier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Purley way in Croydon 

IMG-20180228-WA0002.thumb.jpg.acc91775f49639da62d2198301108ec8.jpgIMG-20180228-WA0003.thumb.jpg.1f4a2705684ac62cfa780e894137978d.jpg

Posted

Well it has in fact become very light now. I wonder is that it? If so thank you snow, you were worth the wait:):yahoo:

Edited by Bricriu

Posted

Looks like that will move right through central London. So that's that, then. Snow day it is.

Still surprisingly moderate snow falling here in Beckenham given I'm right on the final throes of the ppn as it moves through.

Great effort TBFTE. We doff our caps. Especially after yesterday morning's disappointment.

EDIT - all done here. I'm not about to wake the baby by opening the door and venturing outside, but a window guess would be 4cm.

Edited by tasty_snacks

Posted

Just measured 6cm! Fallen in a hour impressive. :) 

I’ve seen nothing but dusting in five years, the snow shield has well and truly imploded still coming down steadily!

• Thanks 1

Posted

We had about 20-30 minutes of moderate snowfall which was nice to see but I'm a bit disappointed knowing areas nearby saw a thick covering of snow, there's about 2cm here, the radar showed the band sweeping through central fairly quickly.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
9 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

We had about 20-30 minutes of moderate snowfall which was nice to see but I'm a bit disappointed knowing areas nearby saw a thick covering of snow, there's about 2cm here, the radar showed the band sweeping through central fairly quickly.

It was torrential snow here seriously impressed some large variation across London I’m pretty central... 6cm of powdery snow at the end of February I cannot remember this ever here.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Well, what a surprise!! Up early again. A bathroom visit, at just gone midnight, revealed our Close, pavements and grass verges, totally covered, in snow. Now what's happened here, I thought. Two options, occurred to me :

1. Some of the more, beefier snow showers, had made it all the way down to SE.London, making it past, Suffolk and Essex, unusually!!                                               or

2. The subtle change in direction of flow, from NE to ENE, which some of those 700 hPa charts, had predicted for around 3 to 4 a.m., had occurred earlier.

Having had a quick look, at the radar, the second option, looks the more likely reason.

Going off to read all the reports, from late last night. I know one thing, my poor wife, is going to have a struggle getting to work at Chislehurst/Elmstead Woods border.

She's booked a cab for 6.30 and they always have great difficulty, in getting up our Close, in snowy weather. Hoping that the snow is still powdery and there's not too much ice about. I sense a " double fare ", coming on!!

Will report back later.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2