Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 minute ago, londonblizzard said:

Can anyone estimate the depth of snow for central London from this incoming precip? Or how long it might last?

1-3cm   from this shower 

and 1cm maybe 2 from the clump behind it

Edited by Lampostwatcher
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, londonblizzard said:

Can anyone estimate the depth of snow for central London from this incoming precip? Or how long it might last?

5-10cm+ I sense seeing how this is developing a big surprise! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

We officially have a Thames Streamer. Essex Weather Centre refers to North Sea off Essex coast and Thames Estuary as having lit up and being snow machines. If winds stay favourable as expected this could cause rush hour disruption. MetO need to extend warning into London.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

I think as long as PPN holds together your ok for a possible cm - I know its not huge :( but nice to see - it also *may* fizzle out

EFB7FBD8-D00B-4B31-B6CE-ED43582A3B2B.thumb.png.e75d71b65e57d1c4ef5ce8ab6cf81fb4.png

Hm, a bit conservative no? I'm in Richmond myself and watching closely, and so far it seems to be sticking together quite well and maintaining intensity, and I'm thinking lucky parts of West London could get that big yellow blob. Together with leading and trailing edges etc, that has to amount to 1-2 inches...

Orientation seems to be WNW on one viewing, but if you watch the energy, you can see that still has slightly more WSW tilt to it. Plus the models have tended to show it veering more to the southeast eventually after riding over the hump.

We'll have to see if it does keep its course and intensity obviously, but IF it does, i reckon there might be a bit more than a cm in there.

In any case it's already hit eastern half of London and will disrupt the city and embarrass the metoffice amusingly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

If that keep going till rush hour this is going to be some serious depth.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Pretty sure it’s a streamer already. Without a drastic change of wind this is going to push through for some time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Anything headed towards Heathrow area? Want more than a pathetic cm please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, Surrey said:

Yes winds favourable till 8amish

Great! Seems like everyone getting pasted apart from here lol

Posted

Sat right under the yellows on the radar that developed over Beckenham 10 mins ago. Not seen snow like in quite a while. Still coming down hard - comfortably an inch in 30 minutes.

Bravo.

Posted
7 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Pretty sure it’s a streamer already. Without a drastic change of wind this is going to push through for some time. 

I don't know really. It's not exactly a classic streamer set up. For one thing the whole band is kind of moving on a slant and the apparent stream is oriented WSW-ENE. For another, there is no obvious 'spawn' area where the stream is backbuilding and originating new showers. 

More like some really interesting and vigorous convergence. But I'm watching the estuary like you. Certainly cause to be hopeful for the rest of the night.

• Like 1