Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

Looks like Friday lunchtime. Earlier for more western parts

I thought so.  I think I will pencil in half days leave from work and make my way home on Thursday after my meeting at work, just in case.  I can always cancel if it's later, or falls as rain/sleet

Posted
6 minutes ago, throwoff said:

For reference there are 4 more days of this and people are writing it off today? 

Ok then.

Convections going’s to pick up again tonight almost certainly. This time it’s dropping on lying snow and ice.

By the look of the radar that’s it for us today, are we likely to get the convection here or is it more of a Kent thing?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Lovely convection around. Just need more like this. I’m enjoying seeing people’s reports from the day. 

7339FDDA-97C8-4E29-8E03-EC4B5D364476.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
11 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Yes, and 1987 was a once in 300 year event by some measures. But you mentioned a whole bunch of years, which also didn't compare to 1987. And 1987 also lasted two weeks. This spell has been going for 1.5 days and is unlikely to last anywhere near as long. Give these synoptics two weeks, two months earlier in winter, and everywhere would be buried...

What an absurd comparison. 

But its not 2 weeks earlier & it wont last for 2 weeks.

So therfore its just a standard easterly & in 5 years no one will remember it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
Just now, emf0778 said:

By the look of the radar that’s it for us today, are we likely to get the convection here or is it more of a Kent thing?

There looks to be more showers heading in towards the Thames Estuary, may get a sprinkling of snow that should freeze onto surfaces after sunset.

Posted
1 minute ago, emf0778 said:

well that shower we just had (which was pretty intense) originated in the thames estuary and there's more on the way.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Latest pictures :)

Beach Huts in WinterFB.jpg

Clock Tower WinterFB.jpg

Paintings of Herne BayFB.jpg

Snow DogFB.jpg

Winter SunFB.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Work was.. fun.

I'm a delivery driver so driving into London was interesting but absolutely nothing when I got there. Early afternoon snow started and became heavy giving a covering to the previously snowless ground.

Got back home and wow! Double the amount of snow than what there was when I left, probably 15-20cm at an estimate, looks absolutely beautiful!

• Like 2

Posted

Still thick lying snow here. The main roads (A2) are open, the side roads are horrendous. It’ll be freezing soon with more snow hopefully (another 10 hours if the MetO are right).

Sittingbourne 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

There looks to be more showers heading in towards the Thames Estuary, may get a sprinkling of snow that should freeze onto surfaces after sunset.

Everything crossed it heads our way 

Posted
1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

well that shower we just had (which was pretty intense) originated in the thames estuary and there's more on the way.

Definitely something to get excited about!  I’m pretty central in town, are you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
4 minutes ago, emf0778 said:

Could end up anywhere. Last night blobs were appearing 50 miles off the coast and hitting us shortly after. The cold tonight will be intense and that will create ice and ample opportunity for convection and more snow.

Posted

That big blog heading to north Kent looks like it’s got sittingbourne/Maidstone name all over it. Just like this morning. 

Posted
1 minute ago, craigore said:

But its not 2 weeks earlier & it wont last for 2 weeks.

So therfore its just a standard easterly & in 5 years no one will remember it. 

Hm...ok...

1) Noone sane ever compared this to 1987 or forecasted it to be comparable, except for in one key respect - the max depth of cold achievable (purely based on 850s).

2) It's not a standard easterly - the depth of cold, particularly at this time of year, is exceptional.

3) Many will remember it, and for more than five years. Specifically, all of those who have received 6+ inches and stand to receive even more in the coming days. As well as those of us who remember/are interested in striking synoptics and other less obvious features like intense if brief snow showers, or record temperatures, etc.

Just not sure what your point is. Suspect this is just the standard whimpering and whining we get on here when full grown adults don't get the snow they hoped for and need to take it out on someone...

• Like 3

Posted

Temp already down to -2.1C--in the sun earlier it felt "warm" as no wind.

Keeping an eye on the radar now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, hot and sunny in summer
7 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Latest pictures :)

Beach Huts in WinterFB.jpg

Clock Tower WinterFB.jpg

Paintings of Herne BayFB.jpg

Snow DogFB.jpg

Winter SunFB.jpg

Gorgeous dog! 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, emf0778 said:

Definitely something to get excited about!  I’m pretty central in town, are you?

i'm holbrook area. almost all the snow had melted by lunchtime and that last short shower turned everything white again! a couple of those heavy showers heading in from the north sea might have our name on them!

Posted

Had hardly any snow after 10am in Deal, just now starting to see a build up of showers coming in from the channel. Had a heavy fall of tiny polystyrene, now clearing. Radar looks good for East Kent folk.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

Cloud looking very ominous out to the channel, I hope the threat becomes a promise! ?❄️☃️⛄️

• Like 1