Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
38 minutes ago, craigore said:

Its no 82,87,91,10. Lets be honest.

To late in the season & not enough convection.

Love to be proved wrong..

You've been proved wrong already. Just as in those cases not every area was deluged with snow, so this time snow totals vary. The fact remains there are a lot of places and people with 6+ inches of snow. Success. And everywhere is feeling the freeze.

• Like 2

Posted

Lovely heavy shower just gone through Crawley, temporarily turning everything white! Heaviest snow shower I've seen since Feb 2005!

Hopefully we'll get some more overnight, although with the wind direction changing tomorrow I'm not expecting to see anymore snow until late Thursday now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and hot in summer

just got in from work. nice covering of snow at home. 

are we due more tonight :yahoo:

Posted
41 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

to be fair, while some favoured areas have had decent snowfall, region-wise, most of us have only had minimal snow. the "beast" hasn't delivered anywhere near the potential it had. however, thats no-ones fault, its just the way it is. some have mocked others because they predicted a hell of a lot more snow and it didnt happen, which is unfair because the charts were showing it. if anything, it just shows how difficult snow is to predict.

i should add- its not over yet...

Good of you not to blame anyone on here for weather that you're finding unsatisfactory.

Once again, people have simply forgotten/don't understand the nature of cold spells in this country. Unless there is a frontal snow event, which was never forecast until later in the week this time, affected areas and totals will always vary, from zero to any number of inches (within reason...).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some very heavy snow showers here in the last hour, everything white with nearly a cm accumulated. The temperature has dropped to -2C, despite the sun being out now. This is more like it! 

FBE75F91-56EC-4101-AECA-2CE01DAD0E9E.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
9 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

You've been proved wrong already. Just as in those cases not every area was deluged with snow, so this time snow totals vary. The fact remains there are a lot of places and people with 6+ inches of snow. Success. And everywhere is feeling the freeze.

Wrong..

The whole of the S.E was plastered in 87. Wth sub zero day miniums.

Not 6 inches here 1:inch there.

There were snow drifts widely across kent ; sussex 10-12ft deep.

Just to add the sea also froze around coastal areas.

Edited by craigore
  • Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Good of you not to blame anyone on here for weather that you're finding unsatisfactory.

Once again, people have simply forgotten/don't understand the nature of cold spells in this country. Unless there is a frontal snow event, which was never forecast until later in the week this time, affected areas and totals will always vary, from zero to any number of inches (within reason...).

i've got the sense to know that snow forecasts are never set in stone and that some areas get more than others. of course i would have preferred more snow but i'm saying that this spell hasnt delivered the potential it could have. if it had, many more of us would have had several inches than we got. anyway, as i said, its not over yet and its snowing here again as i type...

Posted

Showers galore incoming from the North Sea moving SW/SSW ?

And Thu/Fri looking wild!

Perfect few days before it’s time for sling!

• Like 6

Posted

No one can compare this to 87 or 91. 87 was a once in a lifetime event. 2.5 feet level snow. Drifts as high as houses. Icicles from the roof to the ground. Daytime temps colder than anything we're likely to see in a long long time.

Edited by c00ps
  • Like 4

Posted

87 was a freak event. Although not long lived, was probably a 1 in 250 year event in the context of current climate in terms of severity

Edited by Stu_London
  • Like 1

Posted

Does anyone know roughly what time the snow/sleet/rain is forecast to reach the SE during Thursday?  Are we thinking during the day or evening/over night? 

Edited by snow raven

Posted
7 minutes ago, craigore said:

Wrong..

The whole of the S.E was plastered in 87. Wth sub zero day miniums.

Not 6 inches here 1:inch there.

There were snow drifts widely across kent ; sussex 10-12ft deep.

Just to add the sea also froze around coastal areas.

Yes, and 1987 was a once in 300 year event by some measures. But you mentioned a whole bunch of years, which also didn't compare to 1987. And 1987 also lasted two weeks. This spell has been going for 1.5 days and is unlikely to last anywhere near as long. Give these synoptics two weeks, two months earlier in winter, and everywhere would be buried...

What an absurd comparison. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
7 minutes ago, c00ps said:

No one can compare this to 87 or 91. 87 was a once in a lifetime event. 2.5 feet level snow. Drifts as high as houses. Icicles from the roof to the ground. Daytime temps colder than anything we're likely to see in a long long time.

Thankyou. 

It is what it is . We are thankfull for whatever snow we may or may not have & look forward to other possable snow over the coming days.

But in truth this is no epic spell for reasons we have no control 

Posted
Just now, wellington boot said:

Yes, and 1987 was a once in 300 year event by some measures. But you mentioned a whole bunch of years, which also didn't compare to 1987. And 1987 also lasted two weeks. This spell has been going for 1.5 days and is unlikely to last anywhere near as long. Give these synoptics two weeks, two months earlier in winter, and everywhere would be buried...

What an absurd comparison. 

Although chilly in the lead up, the brutal cold of 87 was only about 3 to 4 days. That is why it doesn’t get mentioned in dispatches like 47, 63, 79, which were all much longer severe spells, although none had a spell as severe as 87 embedded.

Posted

Ps - am on the train home from London and pleasantly surprised at the snow laying from the showers today.  Around 1cm (which I know isn't great) but it's still nice to see and makes me feel less 'left out'  ❄☃️??

• Like 2

Posted

Just had our first snow shower since around lunchtime here in Chilham, near Canterbury. Had a reasonable thaw in the meantime but still plenty on the ground out of the sun.

Hopefully the North Sea and Estuary will continue to fire up in the coming hours and overnight to top us all up!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, snow raven said:

Does anyone know roughly what time the snow/sleet/rain is forecast to reach the SE during Thursday?  Are we thinking during the day or evening/over night? 

Looks like Friday lunchtime. Earlier for more western parts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

For reference there are 4 more days of this and people are writing it off today? 

Ok then.

Convections going’s to pick up again tonight almost certainly. This time it’s dropping on lying snow and ice.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, throwoff said:

For reference there are 4 more days of this and people are writing it off today? 

Ok then.

Convections going’s to pick up again tonight almost certainly. This time it’s dropping on lying snow and ice.

On top of ice and snow,not in Epsom my friend

Posted
1 minute ago, Stu_London said:

Looks like Friday lunchtime. Earlier for more western parts

Quite a bit earlier on latest guidance - between 6-7am just in time for rush hour. Then continuous snow, turning heavy around 11am for about 2 hours, until early evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Love snow but it does cause chaos with work, am I going in am I not, not great when others hardly had snow and the head office too.

I'm not sure when I'll be venturing out again looking st the forecast for next few days