Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

clear shift in wind direction has pushed the showers in a bit more - chucking it down here in Cliffe North Kent 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters
20 minutes ago, username home said:

The irony in your post is off the scale. The bbc got their forecast right. 

Not for my location. I had several hours of heavy snow last night which they totally failed to forecast although the MetO had flagged it up for days. 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
Just now, username home said:

i am defending those that were shot down for erring on the side of caution - didn't see many messages of support for them when they were getting stick for being doom mongers. seems that you only get 'respect' on here if you say what people want to hear. 

Erring on the side of caution is fine but singling out other posters with personal snipes is not, it’s always the same, some miss out then take aim at those who suggested otherwise, just enjoy the cold weather and good possibility of snow for rest of week, I am, I have no snow but enjoying seeing photos from those who have, plus no problem getting to work or having to look after school kids on a snow day.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
Just now, SF-02 said:

He has a point. Two days ago a perfectly reasonable poster tried to hold people's expectations in check for the forthcoming 48 hours (so up to now) and was hounded. He was simply saying its not 100% guaranteed across London and the home counties. He was right but those who hounded him offer no apology now I've noticed reading through the thread.

The forecast from a few in this tread has been spot on,you just need to read what they say,steve murr is 1,always read his posts,always spot on,I love it here,so many great people,with a wealth of information,keep up the good work guy's,here's hoping for more action today

• Like 1

Posted

Just been for a walk out in the fields and took some pics. I crossed one road which still had hard-packed snow on it despite being gritted TWICE. I should imagine roads are like this all across mid-Kent, SE Essex and East Sussex right now, so the weather warnings were warranted. Even if this is not a deep snow event for all, this spell will be notable for the prolonged and deep COLD. If the breakdown occurs on Saturday it will have lasted nine days here.

Currently moderate snow.

Snowfeb2018.jpg

Snowfeb2018-1.jpg

Snowfab2018-2.jpg

Edited by North Downs Snowboarder
Typo
  • Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

looks like some heavy snow edging more west now - my way looks good

cheers southend!

Our pleasure, measured 6cms this morning in Westcliff, and it if this keeps up at the current rate we will easily pass 10cms today.

FC

Posted

Still having a few light flurries here in Ashford but I am noticing the laying stuff is starting to thaw out now which is surprising considering how cold it is.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

looks like some heavy snow edging more west now - my way looks good

cheers southend!

Heavy prolonged snow shower too! Added another 3cm, enjoy!

Posted
6 minutes ago, SF-02 said:

He has a point. Two days ago a perfectly reasonable poster tried to hold people's expectations in check for the forthcoming 48 hours (so up to now) and was hounded. He was simply saying its not 100% guaranteed across London and the home counties. He was right but those who hounded him offer no apology now I've noticed reading through the thread.

Certainly right to have been cautious for those in London and Home Counties not seeing much snow and I was under the impression for this to happen too, though expected more in SE London and I wouldn’t haven’t have ramped up expectations for those away from far SE corner. But as I’ve mentioned, personal snipes at individual posters for being wrong is not tolerated on here, it’s just the weather at the end of the day and as there will always be winners and losers with the weather we are interested in experiencing, be it snow or thunderstorms, that’s the nature of weather, but organisations who keep things running smoothly have to be prepared in case when there is a risk, albeit small.

• Like 4

Turned up this morning and job cancelled so you are stuck with me lol! I was due to start a large contract but due to the weather conditions the client has postponed it for 14 days even though I pre warned them. Never mind you win some loose some. 

Pretty much the same principle with snow, you win some loose some I find it absolutely disgusting that some people have the audacity to slate other people when they don't have snow. 

Some of us spend a lot of time analysing the data in front of us and trying to make educated guesses as to where snow may fall, which is bloody hard!! I bet not many people that are complaining couldn't even read a fax chart let alone the harder types. 

Fantastic pictures this morning from many who have seen snow, and if you haven't yet hold tight there is still opportunity for more snow this week! Maybe more widespread also and prolonged! 

Rant over, now where did I put the coffee.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

Still chucking it down here (between Charing and Lenham on north downs). Must be nearing 20cm. Great stuff !

Posted

Snow petering out near Maidstone now, but we've done well.  Official snow depth cup reading on roof of my car is 15 cm.

IMG_20180227_102151.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

The blizzards are back. ;) 

Though I might as well sit in this office in my bikini and watch bananas grow its so hot 

Edited by tomp456