Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
6 minutes ago, John Michael How said:

Am I right in thinking that maybe Greenhithe/Gravesend area was the furthest West along the Thames to have a little covering. I stayed and watched our fall at 2.15-3am last night. Can' believe how just a few miles south and east of here there's like quadruple the amount of snow? My family in Dartford are now moaning at me they have no snow. Was it due to the wind direction being more conducive to a Kent clipper I assume? 

Yes, flow has been NE, during the overnight period, favouring mid-Ken/E,Sussex areas,especially.

Like my locale, Gravesend needs a specific, ENE flow. I know I bang on about it but it's so true

Hopefully, it will start to turn soon and we get a few hours of an ENE flow, before convection, starts to die out.

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
6 minutes ago, Ben Blizzard said:

Very heavy snow now; good covering 3-4cm and continuing to build fast. I think some of the schools in this area made a mistake opening today...

They have. One of my niece's school was open and my sister has just received a text asking to come pick them up as they are shutting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

Great FaceTime with my mother and father this morning from Newnham (between faversham and sittingbourne) and he's measured 8" now from the heavy overnight and morning streamer. 

We lived through the great cold spells of 87 and 91 and this one is rivalling 91 for snow depth. 

A lot of people slagging the Met Office off but they've been pretty conservative with snow in the hardest hit areas. They always came with the caveat that some would see 10cms plus and others nothing. Bang on. 

Here in the South Wales Valleys we have a dusting this morning and light falling snow but my attention is drawn to Thursday Friday and Saturday where I'm expecting 20-30cms plus for the Heads of the Valleys and major infrastructure disruption 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
13 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Absolute blizzard in Burnham currently...good coverage

That's worth a good Ahhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Back of the net:D

see, I'm not jealous..much:nonono::D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

The wind would appear to have changed already if you look at the radar. That intense area over Tonbridge is no longer tracking towards Brighton. Definately tracking on a more westerley course now.....anyway that’s what I’m hoping. I could yet be saved in the eyes of my work colleagues!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Cash backkkk!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
5 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Really no need for these kind of childish comments, just because some don’t have any snow, no need to take out on those who take the time and effort to post thoughts on what may happen, but may have been off the mark a little, never was looking to be lots of snow away from far SE and coastal E Anglia overnight and today anyway.

forecasting snow is not an exact science and the nature of these very cold showery easterly flows is that subtleties in the wind direction make quite a difference, NEly favours streamers for coastal E Anglia, Kent and E Sussex, ENEly favours more inland so S Essex, London, N Kent, Surrey, SEly drier for most apart from northern E Anglia and perhaps Channel coasts of E and W Sussex.

really need troughs or meso lows in the flow or frontal systems from low pressure on near continent for more organised snow getting inland on easterly flows. 

Do you think london and Surrey may get in on the action tonight nick, as the wind appears more favourable.

obviously depends on whether or not there is any activity in the North Sea.

looking at beaunradar seems to look good around midnight tonight , but not sure how good that particular radar is

thanks 

Edited by snowbob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow
2 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Burnham, just now...

DSCF3052.JPG

Epic! Congrats :) really happy to see some getting loads of snow! In-laws in Crowborough have sent us some pics as well, they have loads.

Here in Godstone I reckon a couple of cm, everything looks pretty but not really enough to take the kids sledging. I'm pinning my hopes on the end of the week.

So far this has been a pretty good week for the SE, especially when compared to previous years.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

Cash backkkk!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the new series Alan:D

Enjoy your blizzard

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
6 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Really no need for these kind of childish comments, just because some don’t have any snow, no need to take out on those who take the time and effort to post thoughts on what may happen, but may have been off the mark a little, never was looking to be lots of snow away from far SE and coastal E Anglia overnight and today anyway.

forecasting snow is not an exact science and the nature of these very cold showery easterly flows is that subtleties in the wind direction make quite a difference, NEly favours streamers for coastal E Anglia, Kent and E Sussex, ENEly favours more inland so S Essex, London, N Kent, Surrey, SEly drier for most apart from northern E Anglia and perhaps Channel coasts of E and W Sussex.

really need troughs or meso lows in the flow or frontal systems from low pressure on near continent for more organised snow getting inland on easterly flows. 

i am defending those that were shot down for erring on the side of caution - didn't see many messages of support for them when they were getting stick for being doom mongers. seems that you only get 'respect' on here if you say what people want to hear. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Tell you what frosty if we down here always got jealous of other peoples snow over the country we would be as green as a tomato.. :cc_confused: :pardon::)

Posted
5 minutes ago, Southender said:

Insane snowfall rate right now in Southend. Added literally 2cm in 15 mins

looks amazing....

I have not seen this much snow in Westcliff for a a very long time, probably since the 80s

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Whats so amazing is just how powdery the snow is...will be interesting to see if we get any wind over the next couple of days - could see some drifting.

10 minutes ago, Nick F said:

He has a point. Two days ago a perfectly reasonable poster tried to hold people's expectations in check for the forthcoming 48 hours (so up to now) and was hounded. He was simply saying its not 100% guaranteed across London and the home counties. He was right but those who hounded him offer no apology now I've noticed reading through the thread.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Storm That Lasts 3 Days

what are your thoughts on Thursday's low front guys? Do you think it will bring heavy snow to southern coasts? The thing is that I checked the latest models and all shows that the mild air is arriving around 12am Friday :( @Steve Murr ???