Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
8 hours ago, Convergence said:

Screenshot_2018-02-27-07-22-42.pngsorry Convergence, no idea why its quoted you!

Edited by Darkcloud
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

A cm or so in Costa del Littlehampton, right on the edge of any streamer! Better than nothing...so far!

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, stubbys said:

Still snowing, not overly deep, but I'll take it, was really fearing none after expecting a lot. Thanet

Edited by A Wintry Mix
Duplicate

Posted
5 minutes ago, stubbys said:

Still snowing, not overly deep, but I'll take it, was really fearing none after expecting a lot. Thanet

15197159141902037547332.jpg

Yep, not too shabby is it? I'm happy with this lot, just proves it can still snow here

Thanet -1.7c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunder ~ both together would be great !

Looks beautiful in whitstable but not enough for a snow day as school just text to say they are open little one not happy ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow of course

FROM ESSEX LIVE

Looking through overnight model data and guidance, ‘Storm Emma’ has been downgraded and placed further West meaning less in the way of impacts locally. There will still be a band of snow pushing Northwards through all of Essex on Thursday Night and into Friday, but not the blizzard and ‘feet’ of snow that was showing on earlier runs. The freezing rain risk has also been restricted to South-West England which is good news for our area. That is one type of weather you never want to deal with!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Just trawled through, nearly 20 pages of posts, after going to bed early last night. Have to say my worst fears, were confirmed, a NE flow, simply doesn't deliver, for SE London, NW Kent!!  I read the gnashing of teeth, from  some of the members, in my area. But I learnt, from bitter experience, not to take a graphic, on a weather chart, depicting widespread heavy snow showers, for the whole of SE England as gospel, it simply won't happen, under the current synoptic set-up!! In my neck of the woods, the flow, needs to be specifically, ENE, then it will deliver. I started looking at weather charts and being interested in Meteorology, when I was 10 and this old f..t, is now 62!! Excuse me, for blowing my own trumpet but there's a lot of experience there, in these situations!!

I read earlier, that the Met Office, seemed to have watered down chances of a Thames Streamer, now. As Paul Sherman,stated earlier, you need a bit of oomph to the flow as well, otherwise the Estuary, won't fire up but we also need that ENE direction ,vitally important,  otherwise you can wave goodbye to the clouds, as they pass, to your SE.

I think it was Francis Wilson who first coined the phrase, "Thames Streamer", along with "fluffy bits", during his time, as a weather presenter, on Breakfast TV. Here are a couple of videos, relating to FW.

Finally, a lovely parody of FW, by Rory Bremner.

Really musn't spend as much time on here today!! Don't want my wife, Colette, to feel like, NW widow again, it happened once before, in our relationship and I musn't let it happen again!!:nonono: She has been a rock and my Guardian Angel, since suffering from a C.V.A., in Sept.2015. I have to concede, she nearly became a widow, in the true sense of the word!!I truly believe, I wouldn't be here now, if it weren't for the love, care and attention to detail, my wife showed me and I must respect that. My wife is at work tomorrow morning, so  I can spend, a little  time on the forum, then.

I just think, a peep through a window, now and again, today, will suffice!! I'll just have to trust, my years of experience and gut instinct, whether I see, worthwhile snow today.

Well done to those of you, that have seen decent snowfall, overnight. The rest of us, let's hope we see some, in the next few days. And Ian Currie, reminded me the other day, some of the UKs most notable snowfalls, have come in March. So don't despair, just yet!!:nonono: 

Hope all of you, have a good snow-watching day. See you all, tomorrow.

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

• Like 3

Posted

Oh well i gave up last nite about 10 first off then woke at 3 and nothing anyway glad u all got some. Hugely dusappointed synoptucs looked great chased the easterly and it went north easterly pushed everything to the southeast of me. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Although not as much snow as I was expecting, the site I'm based on has been closed so might be getting a snow day after all!

Posted
10 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

My parents have sent me this photo from Christ’s Hospital near Horsham showing they have a decent covering, much better than here in Reigate?

EE382D25-01EA-488A-AED9-73DCEB6D5CC4.jpeg

looks marginally better than here in horsham. we have a covering but i think the snow ploughs have been called off!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

steady snow for the past 10-15 mins, large, fluffy flakes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter. Hot hot summers

No snow here last night !!! But it very cold...

715D4DCF-3C95-461D-A85C-7808590CCDEB.png

Posted
15 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

My parents have sent me this photo from Christ’s Hospital near Horsham showing they have a decent covering, much better than here in Reigate?

EE382D25-01EA-488A-AED9-73DCEB6D5CC4.jpeg

Proper lines-of-showers territory. Can only imagine that those who got lucky last night will stay lucky, unless the wind decides to veer more easterly. One of my schools is in Hayward’s Heath and a similar story to Horsham - just a fifteen minute drive from here where we have much less.

On another note, the wife works in Reigate and she has said there’s much more snow in Horley. Frame that one for posterity! 

Posted

I have a terrible feeling this is now going to be the fourth winter on the trot without more than a dusting. Sobering, just cannot seem to get a break it seems south and east of here gets snow and storms..

Posted

As much as I’m annoyed the good stuff is a mile or so east of me it’s great to see the east of Kent getting snow this time 

Edited by c00ps
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

Seems to me that the ones that got snow this time (myself included) are mostly the ones who missed out on the previous snow in December 2017.

3cm in Haywards Heath is best it's been since 2013 here, hoping more this morning but looking on radar it looks a bit to much to the East?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Going to have to limit myself to one check of the radar an hour today. I’ll be getting into trouble at work if I don’t! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

Haywards Heath this morning! ? I'm absolutely knackered from radar watching all night...so worth it though. Hope anyone who's not seen any yet gets to see some today. Cant remember the last time I saw some decent snow so I'm so happy today! 

20180227_061016.jpg

20180227_061029.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Met office app is showing the wind switching just after lunch which brings heavy snow to my location. 

Is this what others are expecting to happen?

Screenshot_20180227-073720.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

absolutely hammering it down in hove a good level 3 - 5 cm now. And still it comes down. Just wow !! Cant wait to get out in it soon

• Like 1