Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

Morning!

About 3cm in Haywards Heath when I left for work in my 4x4 Hilux, Burgess Hill is little bit less at around 2cm.

Are we expecting more this morning? my phone seems to think so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
Just now, Steve Murr said:

morning :)

Mid kent streamer then all the way

Winds to swing a bit more today

-4.2c

How much did you end up with then Steve? And what’s your thoughts on further snow today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
6 hours ago, Convergence said:

If it was to stay as it is now, I'd say the issue is simply everyone else getting stuck and blocking the road. Wherever there's virgin or packed white snow it's quite a nice drive, wherever people have been spinning wheels or packed it down so much it's gone black then it's very icy. At the moment most cars and lorries on ordinary tyres are going to be stuck on every steep hill and If they remain stuck it's hard for the gritters to do their job. If you've got 4 wheel drive, winter tyres, chains or snowsocks you should be able to go everywhere there's nice white snow without any problems. If it was me in the morning I'd take the back roads to avoid the stuck traffic. 

I'm driving a very ordinary front wheel drive MPV but with a good set of the latest Michelin winter tyres. In slippy or icy conditions I can pull away on a hill without any hassle, unlike an Isuzu 4x4 earlier which was well and truly stuck. Ordinary 2 wheel car with quality winter tyres will generally just beat any 4x4 on summer tyres for traction and completely out class it under braking (all cars have 4 wheel braking so it's purely about the tyres). And just in case it really chucks it down I can always put the chains on. Chains will get you through just about anything up to the point you've long since run out of ground clearance.

Thanks Convergence, its really coming down now and have to leave in a bit. My boss is in Barbados and I have his Freelander2, normal road tyres. Its not looking good this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 minutes ago, leemondo said:

Thanks, It's really rubbish that it seems so localised, surely the whole region will see something from this by the time it's over!

I like your optimism :) Have a few doubts about W of London, though it does take something more organised to deliver here. We shall see, still a few days to go. Enjoy your lovely snow! Looks great.

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Such a shame if that happens, after all the hype and amazing charts being churned out. Usually don’t pay much attention to model output beyond 5 days, I got a bit sucked in this time, haha! 

Totally agree!

That last ‘cold spell’, which many over hyped, was the biggest flop of the Winter. At least this spell is delivering for some, and hopefully many more in the days to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Still time today I guess but very disappointing given the dream Synoptics - all those people saying will it be dry seem vindicated so far !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms in summer, cold/snow in winter
3 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I think the Met Office Amber warning was a very good shout. 

The Yellow warning for last night was probably too extensive, but they have to cover any ‘unexpected’ developments.

Agreed. My area H.Bay was on edge of amber warning and most of the snow missed us by a few miles so pretty accurate unfortunately

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all. I was disappointed last night as the streamer missed east Kent (Deal) as expected. Not even a dusting as I went to bed at 10:30! Not much when I woke this morning but thankfully in the last hour about half a centimetre has settled! This isn't a moan, I'm genuinely chuffed to see anything as we've missed out year on year. Sounds like elsewhere in Kent did fantastically though so all I say is well done and long may it continue!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
Just now, Steve Murr said:

3cm

Looks like the sweet spot was ~10-15cm

More of the same today- Further west later !

I’m surprised you got so little being that high up? Anyway, thanks for replying. Fingers crossed ?? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Hate to say this, but I'm becomming more of a summer lover. Winter is just depressing, we get sod all in my location year after year. At least in summer we often see the highest temps. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

Totally agree!

That last ‘cold spell’, which many over hyped, was the biggest flop of the Winter. At least this spell is delivering for some, and hopefully many more in the days to come.

Indeed. It is proper cold this time, too. That last ‘cold spell’ was a bit of a joke. We had 2cm of slushy snow here on the 10th December, that was unexpected, so surprises do happen.

• Like 1

Posted

Very disappointed this morning to wake up to nothing in Bexleyheath but pleased for those of you that got snow over night.  Kind of wish I didn't get sucked into all the hype of another 1987 or 1991 event as I've used 2 days annual leave planning in advance for snowmaggedon!! Still, I shall enjoy my leave today and hope we have a nice warm spring on its way!

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

So we've got a little bit of lying snow in the centre of Folky town - having not been outside I would guess about a cm at very most. Be intrigued to hear how places further hillier near by have done. According to the rain today radar - there may be some more coming in. 

Better than a punch in the face though. 

• Like 2

Posted

BBe happy with the little we have! Bare in mind it's March thursday and we have lying snow and ice days! Anywhere that has no snow at all you are the hard done by ones and I hope something comes along for you!

Its amazing how emotionally involved people get about snow ? 

Edited by Weathizard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Woken up to about 4-6in and snowing really heavily. -4.1 Reports of local roads blocked by stranded cars. Amazing to see this much snow but a bit scary knowing I HAVE to get to work

• Like 1