Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

It’ll be gutting if this does all fizzle out by the weekend given the monstrously cold upper air temps that were modelled. There was talk of another 1987 or 1991. Errr, no but still very nice ? 

CABE6082-0FD6-4203-B8FD-7FAB8CEC4A43.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

My guess is it’s been light flurries on and off all night. 

There is snow on the ground but barely enough to cover rooftops.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Friday still looks good, but the Met Office is keen on slightly milder air over the weekend, so any snow will begin to thaw.

Some people in East Anglia might not see anything at all with the fronts not making inroads that far north and east, so with many missing out over the next couple of days, and then again on Friday, that’s going to be a let down for them.

Yes, plenty of places not seeing snow so far but some of the usual areas doing well overnight. Looks like there’s still plenty of uncertainty about the end of the week. Latest output, to my eyes, looks like it’ll be more a SW event with us staying cold a little longer but not getting much snow. Bit gutting, if so. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, winterfreak said:

It’ll be gutting if this does all fizzle out by the weekend given the monstrously cold upper air temps that were modelled. There was talk of another 1987 or 1991. Errr, no but still very nice ? 

Imagine what it’ll be like for those who don’t see any snow at all, especially after all the hype!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, winterfreak said:

Pretty!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Well....its been rubbish here so far.

Thought the winds were meant to be easterly? It is certainly cold, but it can be cold under a 5c 850 inversion! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Imagine what it’ll be like for those who don’t see any snow at all, especially after all the hype!

Oh I know. I’m so gutted that you guys haven’t seen anything of note. 

Edited by winterfreak
  • Like 2

Posted

Well, that was... as expected. This 1cm constitutes a dumping here in Horley! But reading the snow reports on this thread - MetOdear-oh-dead-oh-dear...

Apart from last night’s sweet spots that my princess obsessed three year old could have picked out, so far it’s New Look and Widely Slated BBC Weather one, MetO nil. Who’d Have thought? 

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, plenty of places not seeing snow so far, some of the usual areas doing well so far. Looks like there’s still plenty of uncertainty about the end of the week. Latest output, to my eyes, looks like it’ll be more a SW event with us staying cold a little longer but not getting much snow. Bit gutting, if so. 

Yes, it’s starting to look more that way.

I think the real cold will be mixed out though, so temperatures will begin to creep up this weekend. Still cold for March, but 4s and 5s, rather than around 0c. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

Surrised at how much we have here, still snowing heavily 

20180227_063558.jpg

20180227_063619.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, leemondo said:

Surrised at how much we have here, still snowing heavily 

20180227_063558.jpg

20180227_063619.jpg

Wow, nice one, enjoy! Many of us looking on enviously, lol.

Posted

Amazing see people throwing toys out the Pram,as they missed the snow met office forecast spot in if you read their warnings on website :db:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Good to see lots of you getting snow, nothing overnight and clear skies right now

Posted
3 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

Well, that was... as expected. This 1cm constitutes a dumping here in Horley! But reading the snow reports on this thread - MetOdear-oh-dead-oh-dear...

Apart from last night’s sweet spots that my princess obsessed three year old could have picked out, so far it’s New Look and Widely Slated BBC Weather one, MetO nil. Who’d Have thought? 

All a bit disappointing really - looks like I will have to go to horley after all today!

Posted
4 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Amazing see people throwing toys out the Pram,as they missed the snow met office forecast spot in if you read their warnings on website :db:

To be fair sleety people get the hump because snow is unlike any other weather. It’s so visual, so magical. I’d get the bloody hump as well if we’d got nothing. A bit of empathy eh?

Edited by winterfreak
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Wow, nice one, enjoy! Many of us looking on enviously, lol.

Thanks, It's really rubbish that it seems so localised, surely the whole region will see something from this by the time it's over!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Yes, it’s starting to look more that way.

I think the real cold will be mixed out though, so temperatures will begin to creep up this weekend. Still cold for March, but 4s and 5s, rather than around 0c. 

Such a shame if that happens, after all the hype and amazing charts being churned out. Usually don’t pay much attention to model output beyond 5 days, I got a bit sucked in this time, haha! 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

And by the way, this bad boy overnight? Almost bang on! :D Tongue in cheek - but only a bit. Was far more accurate than the Met’s own website. So on that basis, maybe a bit more to come today. Maybe...

60A649CC-1A7B-44A0-9965-20C88AA438CA.png

Posted

I think the Met Office Amber warning was a very good shout. 

The Yellow warning for last night was probably too extensive, but they have to cover any ‘unexpected’ developments.

• Like 4

Posted

2-3 cm in Rochford area. A tiny amount added to from last nights first proper fall. Hoped for more from Amber warning area but hardly a breath of wind here.

Schools open as normal.

• Like 1