Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
2 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

Well played :clap::clap:

Just for that, Horley has decided to throw out a lamppost flurry. Watch out! :D

I think we might both be in the firing line for that shower!

1 minute ago, Stu_London said:

Current Conditions 27C, Clear. A little burnt and tipsy from an afternoon of Strawberry Daqs at the pool bar. Can anyone advise on conditions expected at Gatwick on Wednesday morning as I have to drive from there to Orpington at around 7am

Gatwick is next to horley - it’ll be clear of snow! ?  in all seriousness, I would expect some snow around but no idea how much yet! Hope you had a good trip.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

My garden right now on canvey 

Screenshot_20180226-233404.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

This is so frustrating radar watching,every shower thats heading my way dies out,and the nice streamer thats hugging the coast,was heading my way an hour or so ago,take it the wind has changed direction

Posted
1 minute ago, Stu_London said:

Current Conditions 27C, Clear. A little burnt and tipsy from an afternoon of Strawberry Daqs at the pool bar. Can anyone advise on conditions expected at Gatwick on Wednesday morning as I have to drive from there to Orpington at around 7am

probably the same as there :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers & Thunderstorms Cold Winters & Snow
Just now, Stu_London said:

Permanant mild sector where I am

Just realised where you are lol. I was going to say! :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters
3 minutes ago, emf0778 said:

Cloudy but nothing falling.  Would love to know where Kate is in relation to me, though!

In Tunbridge Wells, if I'm the Kate you mean, this was a couple of hours ago but it has paused here momentarily. The bright light in the picture is not our car being torched but the nearby lamp post, in non-working order for six years, which TWBC with impeccable timing decided to repair a few weeks ago - it is so bright it sears your retinas, but fantastic for snow-watching!IMG_0059.thumb.jpg.4a3f36ab314dce6cac3e290714f332f6.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Can I ask is storm Emma the same as the mild front due to hit us on Thursday/Friday???

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

We have a blizzard now. Can nearly see over the road.

Posted
1 minute ago, steveinsussex said:

Do you have anything there?

Im in EG - prob have a good 3 or 4cm's now

Just down the road from you would say I have the same amount as you. Hopefully not too Far East for the streamer later tonight. 

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
6 minutes ago, kate1 said:

In Tunbridge Wells, if I'm the Kate you mean, this was a couple of hours ago but it has paused here momentarily. The bright light in the picture is not our car being torched but the nearby lamp post, in non-working order for six years, which TWBC with impeccable timing decided to repair a few weeks ago - it is so bright it sears your retinas, but fantastic for snow-watching!IMG_0059.thumb.jpg.4a3f36ab314dce6cac3e290714f332f6.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

Nice bit of snow - and street lighting lol - you have there.

Edited by Come rain snow or shine
typo

Posted

Very light snow in Reigate (there are more people on this thread tonight from Reigate than the official population of Reigate.  Which is a bit odd)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Darkcloud said:

Eek I have to go that way tomorrow to work (either that or back lanes) mayfield to broad oak. What are my chances?

If it was to stay as it is now, I'd say the issue is simply everyone else getting stuck and blocking the road. Wherever there's virgin or packed white snow it's quite a nice drive, wherever people have been spinning wheels or packed it down so much it's gone black then it's very icy. At the moment most cars and lorries on ordinary tyres are going to be stuck on every steep hill and If they remain stuck it's hard for the gritters to do their job. If you've got 4 wheel drive, winter tyres, chains or snowsocks you should be able to go everywhere there's nice white snow without any problems. If it was me in the morning I'd take the back roads to avoid the stuck traffic. 

I'm driving a very ordinary front wheel drive MPV but with a good set of the latest Michelin winter tyres. In slippy or icy conditions I can pull away on a hill without any hassle, unlike an Isuzu 4x4 earlier which was well and truly stuck. Ordinary 2 wheel car with quality winter tyres will generally just beat any 4x4 on summer tyres for traction and completely out class it under braking (all cars have 4 wheel braking so it's purely about the tyres). And just in case it really chucks it down I can always put the chains on. Chains will get you through just about anything up to the point you've long since run out of ground clearance.

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Can I ask is storm Emma the same as the mild front due to hit us on Thursday/Friday???

It is.  It palyed havoc in the Canries and shut a few airports.  It's not really a mild front just a warm front with associated low that's posibly gonna bump in to stubborn cold air and give snow.  The MetO have gonna from saying some uncertainty to an all out snow fest for many on Friday.  (Thursday in the South West)

Posted
4 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Do you have anything there?

Im in EG - prob have a good 3 or 4cm's now

nothing. had moderate flurries off and on all day but big gaps in between, so no accumulations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!
1 minute ago, snowy weather said:

V heavy snow now 

Same here.

Posted
2 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

Very light snow in Reigate (there are more people on this thread tonight from Reigate than the official population of Reigate.  Which is a bit odd)

You should come and slum it with the masses of the Horley massive.

Bring your wellies though.

• Like 2