Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Just had 2 short sharp snow showers in Eastbourne, left a looverly covering. ,more please I want an excuse to not be able to drive in to work!

Edited by jasonuk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers & Thunderstorms Cold Winters & Snow

Shower activity beginning to pick up again now, by the looks of it...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Ooooo I can see sparkles in the sky!!! Oh wait, that'll be the stars and the moon on this crisp, CLEAR skyed evening!!!

Zero to report here in Epsom ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

If true, the best chance of something decent here is tomorrow afternoon but the beeb is not keen on this idea.

theres a slight dusting at the moment, barely enough to cover the grass

Such a waste of snow all going on into the channel !

CB639BA7-774D-4148-96C4-7DB36A29B4E8.png

Edited by tomp456

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

The Medway contingent, my advice, Get a few hours kip, wake up about 2:30/3am and lets hope its proper game on for a snow day!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!
14 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

Anyone else here from west sussex or crawley?

Charlwood 

Posted

The only shower to pass over here all evening and what did I see.....2 flakes drift by the lamppost! 

That’s just too much excitement for one night, so I’m off to bed.

Good luck to everyone in the east of our patch!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Roads are pretty grim around here (Heathfield area), just been along the A267 (Heathfield to Frant/Tunbridge Wells) and traffic was stationary going down the hill  between Butchers Cross and Mayfield. It was basically the first steep hill I came to and all I could see was nothing coming up the hill towards me and everyone out of their vehicles in the distance further down the hill. The uphill Eastbound lane was pure white with lots of icy slither marks and about 6 cars including a couple of 4X4's stuck at various points trying top get up the hill. There was obviously no way through so I did a U turn and came back up the hill to Five Ashes. I didn't see what the issue was but I imagine it was simply cars and lorries stuck on the hill. Without winter tyres I wouldn't have had a hope of getting back up the hill. 

And nearer home there was the obligatory BMW off the road and embedded deep in the trees. From the skid marks it looked like he'd lost it coming downhill on a long gentle slope. 

Be careful out there everyone....

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

Hows it looking in Horsham? 

Currently a clear sky here. 

I know met office forecast is not gospel but they keep upgrading it for tonight so hopefully.

Cloudy but nothing falling.  Would love to know where Kate is in relation to me, though!

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
5 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

Ooooo I can see sparkles in the sky!!! Oh wait, that'll be the stars and the moon on this crisp, CLEAR skyed evening!!!

Zero to report here in Epsom ??

Squint and turn those stars to flakes. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

Now, GP, look... We've discussed this.

I’m meant to be driving down to horley tomorrow for some site visits - at least I know the road will be clear!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
2 minutes ago, Convergence said:

Roads are pretty grim around here (Heathfield area), just been along the A267 (Heathfield to Frant/Tunbridge Wells) and traffic was stationary going down the hill  between Butchers Cross and Mayfield. It was basically the first steep hill I came to and all I could see was nothing coming up the hill towards me and everyone out of their vehicles in the distance further down the hill. The uphill Eastbound lane was pure white with lots of icy slither marks and about 6 cars including a couple of 4X4's stuck at various points trying top get up the hill. There was obviously no way through so I did a U turn and came back up the hill to Five Ashes. I didn't see what the issue was but I imagine it was simply cars and lorries stuck on the hill. Without winter tyres I wouldn't have had a hope of getting back up the hill. 

And nearer home there was the obligatory BMW off the road and embedded deep in the trees. From the skid marks it looked like he'd lost it coming downhill on a long gentle slope. 

Be careful out there everyone....

Eek I have to go that way tomorrow to work (either that or back lanes) mayfield to broad oak. What are my chances?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....
17 minutes ago, kate1 said:

Me too! - I'm a freelance book editor and have never been an early riser (to put it mildly) so am ideally suited to lamppost watching - though tonight the snow has sporadically been so heavy here no lamppost was needed. Am quite excited about tonight! - but annoyed that i failed to buy biscuits..... the house is completely devoid of snacks!

Lol, just bought 3 packets of Maryland Cookies this evening, at Tesco half price at 62p, had to take them up on that.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

I’m meant to be driving down to horley tomorrow for some site visits - at least I know the road will be clear!

Well played :clap::clap:

Just for that, Horley has decided to throw out a lamppost flurry. Watch out! :D

Posted
1 minute ago, Southender said:

Would it not be better if it was a tad further east @Paul Sherman?

No looks ok to me, very similar to the 2010 event, need frictional drag from the coastline with a backing North Easterly further inland. 2009 Done us over because of the Inversion which stunted and warmed the precip in the mid levels then dried them out in the lower 850hpa level giving us polystyrene

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, chionomaniac said:

Nothing like writing off a cold spell just 24hrs in. Especially considering any significant snow was not forecast for until after 30 hours!

whats it like over your way? i've got to pop over to cuckfield in the morning, nothing here yet. :(

Posted

Current Conditions 27C, Clear. A little burnt and tipsy from an afternoon of Strawberry Daqs at the pool bar. Can anyone advise on conditions expected at Gatwick on Wednesday morning as I have to drive from there to Orpington at around 7am

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

No looks ok to me, very similar to the 2010 event, need frictional drag from the coastline with a backing North Easterly further inland. 2009 Done us over because of the Inversion which stunted and warmed the precip in the mid levels then dried them out in the lower 850hpa level giving us polystyrene

Can’t get 2009 out my head. Hope for us in the early hours then...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers & Thunderstorms Cold Winters & Snow
3 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

Current Conditions 27C, Clear. A little burnt and tipsy from an afternoon of Strawberry Daqs at the pool bar. Can anyone advise on conditions expected at Gatwick on Wednesday morning as I have to drive from there to Orpington at around 7am

27C??? :shok: Don't tell me it's one of those pesky mild sector thingys....

Edited by Ben Blizzard

Posted
22 minutes ago, kate1 said:

Me too! - I'm a freelance book editor and have never been an early riser (to put it mildly) so am ideally suited to lamppost watching - though tonight the snow has sporadically been so heavy here no lamppost was needed. Am quite excited about tonight! - but annoyed that i failed to buy biscuits..... the house is completely devoid of snacks!

Not a single lamppost for miles here.