Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

I don’t believe it. I have 3-4” icicles hanging from the street lamp! Not seen an icicle in yonks!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme
17 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

polystyrene balls, settling.

Really?

Meanwhile in the mod thread the handbag swinging is in errrr full swing

Posted

Decent covering in Haywards Heath now, shows that when you get a direct hit from a shower it can turn things white pretty quickly. Hoping for lots more direct hits over the next 12+ hours! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
20 minutes ago, Southender said:

No chance haha.

5-10cm perhaps if things pick up overnight. Which will do just fine.

Honestly I see it a little bit.

1 hour = 1inch MO have 6 hours of Heavy snow with a few more of light through the night. 6 inches = 15cm.

We shall see.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
5 minutes ago, Thinon said:

I appreciate there's still a fair bit of snow potential over the next 2-3 days, and some will see more than others.. but it just shows how embarrassing those comparisons were with 1987/1991.

The low 850's are comparable though. So why is that embarrassing? And that is all that can be compared from way out. Whether any instability can give comparable snow is far more difficult to predict. Get the cold in first and all of that.....

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sussex Snowman said:

Decent covering in Haywards Heath now, shows that when you get a direct hit from a shower it can turn things white pretty quickly. Hoping for lots more direct hits over the next 12+ hours! 

Oh, here's another one! So that's Dorking, Haywards Heath, South Croydon, Burgess Hill...

The Horley ring donut :rofl:

Posted

Based on the current setup, not expecting anything more than a dusting for my area tonight/tomorrow. A very clear streamer developed missing out my area completely, as expected. Thursday does bring some interest though with the BBC staying firm on a potential blizzard.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Best of luck to all of you on the Essex coast and Kent, looks like a fun night. Some of the showers heading your way are really packing a punch with sizeable totals over parts of the Suffolk coast along with reports of thunder and lightning, and the convection potential actually increases further tomorrow.

Oh come now please. How can most get excited when a few passing heavy snow showers that  acculimate to zilch during daylight hours be classed as the ‘Beast from the east’ I’d prefer ‘The nat from the north west’ at least that gave us a frost.

Most if not all here are looking for lying snowfall not fleeting showers that melt in a few secs.

• Like 2

Posted

Great to not hear the drip drip drip

Not so great to see zero convection looking east from the Estuary

And where is the wind ?? Clouds are not moving up there

Eerie feel not a sound out there, where has the beast gone or is it purring asleep atm

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham

BBC forcast just now shows band of snow hitting Worthing [and north east of it for a long way] later tonight. Worthing could also cop it on Weds as snow hits the south coast from the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Looking a bit quieter on radar at the mo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
Just now, london-snow said:

Oh come now please. How can most get excited when a few passing heavy snow showers that  acculimate to zilch during daylight hours be classed as the ‘Beast from the east’ I’d prefer ‘The nat from the north west’ at least that gave us a frost.

Most if not all here are looking for lying snowfall not fleeting showers that melt in a few secs.

Problem is that some of us have lying snow. 3cm that hasn't dripped away and that will still be there tomorrow morning is something that hasn't happened in a long time.

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

Snowing gently north of Steyning [west north west of Brighton]. Should get to Worthing and/or west of worthing. 

Well, it's arrived in Lancing! After about an hour of very light powdery grains, it's now snowing properly. Cars and road covered already.

1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Great to not hear the drip drip drip

Not so great to see zero convection looking east from the Estuary

And where is the wind ?? Clouds are not moving up there

Eerie feel not a sound out there, where has the beast gone or is it purring asleep atm

Its coming down the coast !

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

Big area over Tumbridge Wells has definitely changed shape and direction in the last 15 mins. Reckon Reigate, Dorking and Surrey Hills are now in the firing line...

E2CD7D35-82A5-4A2B-B82D-320BB4DA61E7.jpeg

That would be good but the wind is from the NE in Reigate at the moment so I don't think it would  hit us. Just got a few flakes at the moment.

Posted
1 minute ago, Stroudley said:

Well, it's arrived in Lancing! After about an hour of very light powdery grains, it's now snowing properly. Cars and road covered already.

Probably quite a bit to come later tonight, the bbc showed at 10.45pm.

Posted

Well it wont get here then, what wind there is and my Anemometer is showing 2mph is from the ENE, Surely the echoes up the coast are going to go towards Chelmsford and Greater London ?