Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
2 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

polystyrene balls, settling.

Excellente this is our chance hastings gang!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

It's snowing in Purley way Croydon.. Where did that come from?? 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Chill. Most places will see some lying snow at some point, some places will luck out and get dumped on, a few places might get unlucky and miss out.

This was always going to be the case, as explained by others, due to the way showers form and 'cluster'. And it's still early.

Alternatively, spend some years watching, learn where the sweet spots tend to be, and move there... I can tell you the Tunbridge Wells area and just south of there in E Sussex almost always do very well in any kind of NE'rly set up. I used to be based there and you always win around there. I called a while ago and checked and it sounds like the same happening again. Over 4cm lying at last measure...

Blimey.. I haven't seen one if your posts since what 2010...2012...dont think any thing has lasted after ten In Morning since.. :nonono:not that tonbridge was the bestest place for marginal setups.. It can only be a few ft above sea level.. Other wise the the medway would pour into the sea like niagara falls.. Hope your well:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and Snow, lots of snow...
7 minutes ago, c00ps said:

This was 1987. Its very unlikely to get close to it. You never know though by the weekend we’ll be saying it was good though 

7824E20F-1CCE-4F9E-A7B7-3291725C1995.jpeg

Weather like that is as rare as Unicorns these days, well in the south anyway.

1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

I just saw a MetO forecast for Wednesday, they forecast a little trough moving through in this region as the wind switches to south east. What do you think?

Yes its been on the models for a couple of days -:) ideal TBH - weds will be the coldest day hopefully !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Big area over Tumbridge Wells has definitely changed shape and direction in the last 15 mins. Reckon Reigate, Dorking and Surrey Hills are now in the firing line...

E2CD7D35-82A5-4A2B-B82D-320BB4DA61E7.jpeg

Edited by John Stevens
Correction
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

polystyrene balls, settling.

had a heavy shower here hours ago, small flakes, settled 1mm, still there on everything.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
7 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

It’s sort of snowing here too... just bits in the wind... not really doing much... but enough of them to notice they’re swirling around 

That's how it started here. Now picking up nicely. Decent size flakes and the cars are turning white.

Edited by Come rain snow or shine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Hmm, watching the radar is painful... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

the sky

:doh:I expected that after I posted it lol 

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snow Slave said:

Weather like that is as rare as Unicorns these days, well in the south anyway.

'87 was fab. 3-4 days of snow. 1ft in Guildford. Much more in  parts of Kent. London  - just a few inches.

Edited by Come rain snow or shine
  • Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Snowstorm_Steve said:

snow absolutely punting it down in surrey :cold:! gonna be a good few inches by the looks of it, the kids will be happy.

how many inches everyone got in the home counties?

Surrey where? Big old county!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Wind has switched to more of an ENE now...think I've got around 2cms on the lawn.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Snowstorm_Steve said:

snow absolutely punting it down in surrey :cold:! gonna be a good few inches by the looks of it, the kids will be happy.

how many inches everyone got in the home counties?

Hi Steve, where in Surrey is it ‘punting down’? Just light flurries here in Reigate atm

Posted
3 minutes ago, TN9 said:

Blimey.. I haven't seen one if your posts since what 2010...2012...dont think any thing has lasted after ten In Morning since.. :nonono:not that tonbridge was the bestest place for marginal setups.. It can only be a few ft above sea level.. Other wise the the medway would pour into the sea like niagara falls.. Hope your well:)

Hehe, nice that I'm remembered by someone...! I still lurk and occasionally post when things get interesting and I have time. Sometimes wonder if I should get more involved again, but a) it depressed me when the site reset and I lost my post count with my thousands of old posts... and b) I feel like I would need to put in some more work and learn something new if I wanted to posted anything worthwhile - my accumulation of meteorological knowledge (reasonable at this point) has stagnated, and it's somehow less fulfilling to chatter away if I'm not learning actively. Anyway, generally don't have time these days, as it becomes a problematic drain of time if I get involved in posting and discussing...

Wrt to your point, I would agree there is a big difference if you go down to Tonbridge. I was at school there, and I remember how much worse it always did. Maybe 30m asl? Sometimes nothing there when 7 inches at home (2005 I think?), which makes snowdays look a bit suspect. South of T Wells, up in the Weald at 150m asl, we always get caught in the snow streams when E'rly through NE'rly, partic NE'rly, and temps and conditions are about as good as it gets in the region. Being a few miles in land in any direction helps as well.

I think the issue with the last few years has been a general lack of snow opportunities in the SE...

• Like 1

Posted

I appreciate there's still a fair bit of snow potential over the next 2-3 days, and some will see more than others.. but it just shows how embarrassing those comparisons were with 1987/1991.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

After the Kent County Council " Snow Emergency " statement and most the Eastern Rail network stopping at 10pm, I'd be amazed if many don't get a decent covering, in the warning areas especially.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Booking flight to Guernsey... 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

Big area over Tumbridge Wells has definitely changed shape and direction in the last 15 mins. Reckon Reigate, Dorking and Surrey Hills are now in the firing line...

E2CD7D35-82A5-4A2B-B82D-320BB4DA61E7.jpeg

Snowing in Dorking now!