Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters
8 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Nothing like writing off a cold spell just 24hrs in. Especially considering any significant snow was not forecast for until after 30 hours!

Here in West Kent only a few hours into the forecast snowfall we already have 4cm...... it may be that we are just lucky, but yes, the night is still young! The local BBC forecast also seemed to be mentioning further snow tomorrow night - so hopefully that will involve more of us.

• Like 3

Posted

Evening chaps / ladies., Not getting the pessimist posts tonight.  Many of us (you to apply the rules as I'm now up North, sob) are going to wake up with many inches of snow.  Enjoy!  It's coming. 

And we have other opportunities down the line. What a wonderful end to winter, all praise SSW

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, snowbob said:

Fair point

think my point came across all wrong to be honest and wasn’t worded correctly.

wasnt being pessimistic by any Means

hope it snows shed loads

Nah you're fine - I'm secretly combusting with frustration...

Posted

I remember 91 well. It actually started much like this. Showers on and off all day. Thawing in the sun and then more showers. I was thinking earlier how similar it had been. 

However, it did turn heavier later in the day and overnight it really came down. I guess some parts have experienced that this evening (some of us haven’t) but I’m sure, as someone else posted, we had fronts crossing over rather than convective showers 

awesome seeing all your photos this evening. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Not yet

just taken 10 mins to get 30 layers off-

-3c out there!

Things hotting up on the radar now

B93B53E7-D556-4FA4-B8C1-7343B9A8E1C1.thumb.png.e85f7888d64c8af74b8c69ba08c38661.png

Looks nicely trough shaped-

Need those east anglian bad boys to chop nicely down towards Heathrow thank you please!

Posted

At present in coulsdon it' s clear, cold and the stars are out. Not a cloud in sight. Hope for something later as a few of the beefy shows approaching the east coast are a bit more northerly so hopefully yhe can drift across. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
5 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

Looks like the head of a streamer could well hit Worthing soon-ish. 

Will stay up for a big longer then lol 

Posted
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
  • Weather Preferences: Snow November to March. Heat and sun late April to early October
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
33 minutes ago, Honey said:

Cliffe looking beautiful 

33 minutes ago, Honey said:

Cliffe looking beautiful 

IMG_3319.jpg

I used to live there many moons ago I've walked to cliffe from here in Gravesend before. We literally have barely a few flakes lying on the grass? crazy difference for 3miles away

Edited by John Michael How
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Big Snow said:

Well I was too young to enjoy Feb 91 so I have never really seen a true, 80s style easterly. This ain't a bad effort so far.

This was 1987. Its very unlikely to get close to it. You never know though by the weekend we’ll be saying it was good though 

7824E20F-1CCE-4F9E-A7B7-3291725C1995.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters
6 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Chill. Most places will see some lying snow at some point, some places will luck out and get dumped on, a few places might get unlucky and miss out.

This was always going to be the case, as explained by others, due to the way showers form and 'cluster'. And it's still early.

Alternatively, spend some years watching, learn where the sweet spots tend to be, and move there... I can tell you the Tunbridge Wells area and just south of there in E Sussex almost always do very well in any kind of NE'rly set up. I used to be based there and you always win around there. I called a while ago and checked and it sounds like the same happening again. Over 4cm lying at last measure...

Yes, we are right in the centre of town and I can confirm between 4cm and 5cm. I did move here partly

because I was told we got more snow than most!

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham

Snowing gently north of Steyning [west north west of Brighton]. Should get to Worthing and/or west of worthing. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
18 minutes ago, Southender said:

Who needs a ruler eh :D

Pleased with that and must admit a little unexpected this early in the eve. Who knows perhaps we can add to that overnight....

Fits here too. Reckon we can get 15cm?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

Just popped out the back to put drinks out to chill and blow and behold we have lift off snow/ polystyrene falling from the sky!! :)

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, tomp456 said:

Will stay up for a big longer then lol 

Yes, do. It's snowing in Steyning  - at the head of the streamer. Not far from you.

Posted
1 minute ago, SN0WM4N said:

Fits here too. Reckon we can get 15cm?

No chance haha.

5-10cm perhaps if things pick up overnight. Which will do just fine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
1 minute ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

Yes, do. It's snowing in Steyning  - at the head of the streamer. Not far from you.

It’s sort of snowing here too... just bits in the wind... not really doing much... but enough of them to notice they’re swirling around 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

polystyrene balls, settling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

Would some kind soul please post the warnings for the South East for this week from met o. The graphics won't load when I go to look. Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Best of luck to all of you on the Essex coast and Kent, looks like a fun night. Some of the showers heading your way are really packing a punch with sizeable totals over parts of the Suffolk coast along with reports of thunder and lightning, and the convection potential actually increases further tomorrow.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Lets see how the radar develops

the next 24-48 hours are peak convectional snow chances 

I just saw a MetO forecast for Wednesday, they forecast a little trough moving through in this region as the wind switches to south east. What do you think?