Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!
2 minutes ago, TN9 said:

Just won't stop now... Not that I'm moaning.. Just we didly squat till about hour ago. Then bosh :-) 

DSC_0153.JPG

??? fabulous!!

• Like 3

Posted

Dorking’s microclimate at play again - has snowed continuously from 8am this morning, sometimes really light and other times almost a blizzard. Snow cover on the heady heights of Box Hill! 

A549CC8F-CF99-420F-8BBF-0B8A7D35C399.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Heavy showers on and off in Bermondsey with sunshine in between. Not bad at all! Not lasting long enough though for proper accumulations but dusting seems to be staying on surfaces. Hopefully it will pick up more steadily later 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Just got back from walking the dog near Ightham and it whites out! Heavy, large snowflakes in a stiff wind!!! Waited years for that. Grabbed a pic before my blumming battery died!!!

49526906-005A-46F4-A6A2-E89046CB03E7.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Not sure I’m in the right thread, but it’s snowing here near Heathrow. Nothing dramatic but nice to see. Cold at -1C, mainly cloudy.

Me neither SB, where did East and West Sussex go ?!

Anyway, just a few flakes blowing in the strong breeze here in St Leonards-on-Sea.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
3 minutes ago, Alpine glow said:

Looks like the low for Friday has shifted South a bit on the ICON and GFS.  Could be back in the game, it's looking more positive for the cold to remain here in the South, ergo BLIZZARD!!. 

Caveat:  I'm really brave to say that!

Come on we both know it will be RAIN on the coast! 

Posted
32 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

This is what I mean. This shower train (first pic) has been in place since 7am. Second photo is looking south. You can clearly see that I’m on the boundary of that convergence zone. So, if you have little or no snow in West Sussex, that’ll be why! 

Edit: can’t ipload photos so you’ll just have to take my word for it! Looks very good to my north and north east from here - sanderstead, Croydon, Bromley way, I’d imagine. 

Well that'll teach me to try and forecast an unstable atmosphere! Heavy drifting and settling snow shower here now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Can I ask a question? Could you get streamers from the channel?? Or is to far south, @Stevemurr

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nikkib74 said:

??? fabulous!!

That's the problem.. Or answer.. depending if you like it or nor :-) 

Screenshot_20180226-101429.png

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, snowbob said:

Do you think a Thames streamer is possible tonight

would it affect the same places as 2009 or take a different track

thanks

First post for ages! Actually that fax chart is not the full story. If you look within this site at the 3 fax charts going out 24 hours apart ( I think it is) then you see that convergence zone wobble north to south a bit almost down towards south coast at one point so I think everyone's in with a shout. I say that because a pure Thames streamer will disappoint some and there may be some sad faces otherwise!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
3 minutes ago, Alpine glow said:

Looks like the low for Friday has shifted South a bit on the ICON and GFS.  Could be back in the game, it's looking more positive for the cold to remain here in the South, ergo BLIZZARD!!. 

Caveat:  I'm really brave to say that!

Certainly the 06z GFS showing snow as the frontal system moves N on Friday.

gfs_ptype_thick_uk2_18.thumb.png.552be849f54afe5a9363d8abe2533b4b.pnggfs_ptype_thick_uk2_19.thumb.png.8c38b1d96f2d8ab2a5d49df49e2ecea7.png

Interestingly, it has a Channel Low Saturday morning too, which may bring snow to all if it tracks a little further south.

gfs_ptype_thick_uk2_21.thumb.png.7bc96afc987964a5ee99fcda721bb300.pnggfs_ptype_thick_uk2_22.thumb.png.27e685c08c5587e7d5d92d68bb891f7b.png

Big fat dinner plates falling out the sky now in SE25!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Light snow in East Grinstead - and it's not melting

:D

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, TN9 said:

That's the problem.. Or answer.. depending if you like it or nor :-) 

Screenshot_20180226-101429.png

Yes it is, as I am in the same town but clearly just a little further south than you and it is snowing, but melting as fast as it snows here. As the sun keeps coming out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Brief sunny spell, laying snow mostly evaporated and snowing again now. Am quite enjoying this.

Posted

Just had a light snow shower here. It' weird to see it evaporate almost as soon as it falls in places (can't be melting surely, given it's -1c!). 

Wainscott, Medway. 

Posted
24 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Snow flurries all morning.  Temporary light dustings come and go.  It's not melting, it's vanishing.

0.0C

22 minutes ago, fulham snow said:

It is because the air is so dry.I visit Moscow quite a bit and it is the same there.

Same here in Surbiton. Snow flurries with varying size of flakes all morning but nothing settling at all. Off to Epsom to take son to college shortly, he was rather hoping for an unexpected snow day (now that rather was hopecasting); and Gatwick looks ok for husband to fly in this evening.

In the sunshine there are some nice clouds building, making me optimistic of convection building later along that line suggested by @Nick F and @kold weather. Now, if that Thames Streamer could just get going overnight like the 2009 one in this area that saw the main Ewell Road through here completely snowed up. 

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Alpine glow said:

Might be in Wet Worthing but I live in Blizzard Brighton :p

I feel sorry for all the old people queueing at the bus stop at 9:30. probably going to town to panic buy for some rain :rofl:

• Like 1