Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
5 minutes ago, shotski said:

This is going to sound a bit sad but don’t forget to look after the frogs in your pond. Many of them hibernate in the silt at the bottom and breathe through their skin ?

if it freezes over for too long the oxygen runs out so make sure there is always a small hole ?

Float some inflatable balls in there. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Right well that cat has gone to sleep by the radiator, which he never does. Can he sense something?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

That latest MET report has snow making landfall by 10pm tonight..!

Posted
48 minutes ago, Rob said:

It concerns me the large variation with the BBC forecasts, they broadcast to the public and people follow them like they are gospel. The met office who used to supply the forecast data is showing quite a lot of snow here whilst BBC aren’t showing much. If Met Office have got this right then how can the BBC be trusted to inform the public whilst continuing with MeteoGroup?

I can't understand why the BBC are paying  Metogroup or any supplier for that matter.

I know they didn't renew met office contract to save money, which makes sense.

But as licence payers what we should be asking is why do they need contract with anyone, they already have forecasters/presenters which are paid for a couple of minute recording why not just employ presenters/forecasters and ask them to use the free charts on Meteociel to make basis of their forecast I am sure they have the IT staff/capability to change free charts into graphics. If the forecasters aren't clever enough to do that get new ones.

Its not like the meteogroup actually have better models as they don't have access to MOGREPS, and BBC only need to forecast  3 days ahead so the free GFS/UKMO charts ain't going to be wrong at that range anyway. Its just waste of money and they make themselves look stupid doing a 7 day ahead forecast which is obviously going to be very different come day 5 let alone 7.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, throwoff said:

Tell me about it! I'm refreshing the .... out of the radar

Posted
20 minutes ago, Justin123 said:

Right guys, thurs/ Friday looks interesting, -2 to -6  uppers, however cloud temp below and in will be lower and even with -2 uppers will still fall as snow, allbeit won’t be as powdery as the snow we are going to have Monday - Wednesday. Looks good!

ADE66686-4E3F-4D62-B361-3D826B86F08A.png

5AA818AD-CCDD-46AF-B724-6C3F15ED0D42.png

7F4301ED-D2A5-429F-BA8C-94245C93CC90.png

Beast from the east?

OR

Bas**** from the east? 

Honestly the way this has been hyped up and now a possibility of a few snow showers here and there (except those near coastal locations which is more favourable) is pathetic followed by a snow to rain event come end of week, 

Roll on spring if we can’t see settling snow that sticks around for a few days. Here’s hoping that the outlook looks more favourable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Could very much look this anywhere between tomorrow and Friday pm. 

Image result for easterly 2009 uk

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
2 minutes ago, throwoff said:

current radar shows a cluster heading SW which is likely to clip the Kent coast before heading off to France . . .

Posted
1 minute ago, london-snow said:

Beast from the east?

OR

Bas**** from the east? 

Honestly the way this has been hyped up and now a possibility of a few snow showers here and there (except those near coastal locations which is more favourable) is pathetic followed by a snow to rain event come end of week, 

Roll on spring if we can’t see settling snow that sticks around for a few days. Here’s hoping that the outlook looks more favourable.

Looking forward to it then!

Posted
Just now, Speedbird said:

current radar shows a cluster heading SW which is likely to clip the Kent coast before heading off to France . . .

I can't see this?

Posted
14 minutes ago, clactongaz said:

Sit and hold tight...there is nothing on the radar or the dutch radar at the moment

Of course there is on the Dutch. See my post above but here it is again.

its the Buienradar app, zoomed out.

also added NW Germany radar.

177DF3E5-EA3D-49A2-93CF-13621C49D001.jpeg

15ECAA6B-692D-402B-B9BD-42A40244467A.png

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

i should have a shower by midnight

I’m having a bath ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails
1 hour ago, Justin123 said:

Thames streamer possible as early as rush hour tommorow, could cause tricky commutes!! I have to travel from canvey to London and back tommorow, I’m hoping rails will be ok, even for tommorow, Monday night looks even better. Canvey is looking one of the best spots for the next few days, inc Southend/ dartford/ sittingbourne, if this produces 10’s of centimetres it would make up for the lack of snow for many years now! 

299CC381-AE19-4DF6-B6AA-5F51AB2CB7AD.png

834B7D96-6FD2-4212-88D8-885DCAEB4ECA.png

28DEC1C5-5409-442E-AA25-BC20ADA9EB77.png

8B46A1DD-1089-49DC-84B3-48DF10931A4A.png

D892D564-5879-4232-82DE-9F4A153F3960.png

Another islander ?? just noticed in the last hour humidity gone from 58% to 67% any reason as to why?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
7 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Right well that cat has gone to sleep by the radiator, which he never does. Can he sense something?

Yeah, the cold :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
1 minute ago, James Oliver said:

I can't see this?

https://www.buienradar.nl/wereldwijd/europa/zoom/3uurs?lat=52.110&lon=5.180

Posted

That is one stubborn convergence line looking at the fax charts.

Anyway EURO4 suggests the streamer does meander a little though it is at its strongest through central Kent and parts of S.Essex it seems but Surrey, S.London,E Sussex and maybe Hampshire/W.Sussex do get something from it as well

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

I`m not trying to cherry pick here but after looking at the Met office warnings this week, they have nothing for Thursday.

Arpege has other ideas.

arpegeeur-2-102.png?12

EDIT: This is due though to bringing the LP in quicker it seems.

Edited by Stuie W

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms
1 minute ago, london-snow said:

Beast from the east?

OR

Bas**** from the east? 

Yes I see where you are coming from, I’d rather Bands of prolonged snow, but it depends where you are located, and I don’t think it will be a rain snow even Friday, as I said uppers aren’t that cold, but snow cover and the deep cold hanging  12-6 hours before low arrives, it will make temps around the base ofthe clouds , hence lower temperature increasing snow chances, anyway spring will come, but right now we have a BEAST FROM THE EAST , best in years don’t play it down now