Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
13 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

The North Sea is kicking into gear see north of Netherlands popcorn convection incoming for tonight! A fair few places could wake up to a covering more spare in nature though.

027E151F-DCBC-46F4-9DE1-B659B3675218.thumb.jpeg.2af9757393d9fbeca5cf4e3af6e78aea.jpeg

'Netherlands popcorn' - LOL

We'll be munching on that for a few days for sure with added salt convection - Very much looking forward to the animated sat images 

Posted

Can't see Beds,Herts and Bucks doing very well in this. Too far west imho. Seem to be just on the edge of any warnings. Need showers to push well inland and not die out. Beds and Bucks never get in on a streamer IRC. Loved to be proved wrong. 

Posted

Hello everyone. Thought I’d login rather than watch from the outside!

I was looking at my photos from 2010 earlier. I knew at the time to make the most of it as it’d been a very long 19 years waiting to get that kind of snow fall. I hardly slept from the Tuesday to Friday! 

My point was that I was surprised. We were due snow but at max 5-10cm. That night started with snow grains and I was gutted. However, a couple of hours later it turned into flakes, getting heavier and heavier. I recall Steve Murr posting snow bomb and he was right. The convection kept going over our heads. 

I ended up with a foot or slightly more of snow by morning. A far cry from the max 10cm forecast just a few hours before.

Thats the pro and con of this set up. You just can’t be too sure. Fingers crossed and feet on the ground.

It’s about time we had some snow! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado
Just now, snowwonder said:

Can't see Beds,Herts and Bucks doing very well in this. Too far west imho. Seem to be just on the edge of any warnings. Need showers to push well inland and not die out. Beds and Bucks never get in on a streamer IRC. Loved to be proved wrong. 

We will do just fine dont panic :)

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Lovely ! Was it expensive? Might put one of them on my Xmas list for this year 

£39.99 Amazon. Included next day delivery 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Guest here from snow-starved West Lancashire, but on the way to London, staying in  Hammersmith till Tuesday eve. Am I right in thinking disruptive snow unlikely in central London over next 48 hrs? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Lovely ! Was it expensive? Might put one of them on my Xmas list for this year 

I want one too!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, jright35 said:

It’s not bad to be honest! Pretty pleased with it

My sensor took a couple of days to settle in but now it seems to be ok, my last one died and I can't be without knowing what temp it is outside.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
6 minutes ago, Sparky68 said:

In winter weather terms Cambridgeshire is usually pretty poor for snowfall , Huntingdon is lack of snow central. If we do get anything decent I shall be making naked snow angels.

Tends to do well with a NNE wind, as the wash streamer is then aimed directly over there. Possibly back in 2005/6 I remember the horse races being postponed due to the amount of snow. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, jright35 said:

Cup of tea and the weather station! Perfect Sunday!

7CA9124E-84D6-4F04-9237-722C6FC9170B.jpeg

I have this one! 

• Like 2

Posted

Croydon Borough's priority footpaths have been pre-treated with grit today...............Gritters will be out later tonight to treat A & B Routes

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado
Just now, snowwonder said:

Hoping your right. You think more than 5cm? Tues prob looks the best chance possibly. fingers crossed. 

I woulnt like to guess on how much but im almost certain we will see snow of some amount over the next few days. Tuesday does look pretty good, Keep an eye on the sky from tomorow!

Posted

Temp 0.6 DP -6.7 here in Ipswich 

Everything dropping rapidly now as the real cold uppers push in, hoping for dusting overnight before things get interesting in the next few days! Game on!

15 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I have it on good authority from someone at the Met that Friday will b all Snow across the Uk and next week continues cold - dont get fooled by GooFuS

Good stuff 

maybe the 0c isotherm will be above the cloud deck & the 925mb temp will be below zero due to the surface feed-

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Can anyone confirm in my locality (Lyminge, Kent) I've got a new sensor outside currently reading -1C. Is it close?