Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - the beast arrives

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here! 
Other options:
Model moans, ramps and banter
Regional discussions

For more focused short-range model discussion:
Short-range Model Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

tempresult_ver4.gif

Thanks very much (thumbs up smiley)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
9 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

tempresult_ver4.gif

Thanks for that Nick - reminds me of the state of my guts just before checking the latest model runs! :laugh:

Posted

Ok, are we saying 8 members place the LP to the South of Ireland/ SW England?

EEM1-96.GIF?26-0

Posted
38 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Eps have a spread which more reflects the icon days 6/7. 

Wonder if it will show as a discreet cluster later on ? 

Gone through most of the ensembles, by Monday morning it's about 45% with a pattern likely to sustain cold (low to SE or E) and 55% unlikely to sustain the cold (low just to W, SW or on top of us).

The UK is the dividing line!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening ,those on here pointing to an unprecedented  ,historic ,intense cold spell and liking this to the likes of 1947 and 1963 and the likes is very misleading.  First of all the so called pipe freezing weather won't happen !  Central Europe back in 47 and 63 was frozen solid couuppled  with deep bitter cold from the East Britain caught the cold from the continent. This time round central Europe until recently has been snow and ice free, It's a shame that some posters on here have hyped this cold spell along with the media out of proportion,  Central Britain could well do well for snow forget Blizzards for the south....:wallbash:

h850t850eu-7.png

ecmt850.096.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

The ICON confirms its move to a reassertion of the block in recent runs, particularly evident in the ECM mean earlier.  I expect future runs to follow this, meaning extending the cold spell, possibly weakening Friday's event for some.  Here at T108

icon-1-108.png?26-18

icon-0-108.png?26-18

• Like 7

Posted

ICON is awesome with10-20cm over most parts of England and Wales by Sat with cold air still in place. Also the prospect of  another snow event later in the weekend / early next week! Fingers crossed for the ECM to be on the same page tomorrow!

54C90D3D-A128-4AF8-9188-95667B99465A.png

AE7D1C20-0BBF-40D9-9D56-50FB980FBF48.png

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

The ICON confirms its move to a reassertion of the block in recent runs, particularly evident in the ECM mean earlier.  I expect future runs to follow this, meaning extending the cold spell, possibly weakening Friday's event for some.  Here at T108

icon-1-108.png?26-18

icon-0-108.png?26-18

Yep if Icon is trending nicely in the t-0 - t-48 range upgrades to cold spell to come I reckon the lower may go further south and we get reload from north east with snow showers personally I would rather somewhere gets a blizzard and hope its my area as never really had a proper blizzard in my life time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
11 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

icon-1-108.png?26-18

icon-0-108.png?26-18

I agree, such deep cold air is unlikely to displaced this quickly imoh850t850eu.pngh850t850eu.png    thats an incredibly hasty warm up from the gfs for western Europe in just over 48 hours... I dont buy it...

Edited by Zak94
  • Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Ok, are we saying 8 members place the LP to the South of Ireland/ SW England?

EEM1-96.GIF?26-0

It says that there is an area sw of Ireland where there is a cluster up to 5/6 dam away from the mean which is 520. (Probably lower).  This is a spread on heights. I guess this cluster holds the cold pool a little further back than the mean (and op) which have it further sw.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, johnwirral said:

Why are the big 3 models expected to follow the ICON when they have been correcting north consistently?

It's called hoping!! :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold
8 minutes ago, Zak94 said:

I agree, such deep cold air is unlikely to displaced this quickly imoh850t850eu.pngh850t850eu.png                                                 thats an incredibly hasty warm up from the gfs for western Europe in just over 48 hours... I dont buy it...

It does make me wonder at times how well the density of colder air is factored into model algorithms

Edited by Philbill

Evening each and the snow has arrived today here with at least 2 more almost sub zero days to come with snow for most then the usual atempt of a push from the south of a low to create a battle ground setup giving heavy snow for inland areas and middle blighty and maybe nearer the coast as well depending on uppers ,but compared to 3 days ago the severe cold that was shown by most models seems to have all but deminished to the northern half of the UK by Friday

Haven  said that it's still the best setup we have seen for 5 years and one which could produce a re serge of favourable colder setups in the coming couple of weeks,let's hope so

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It says that there is an area sw of Ireland where there is a cluster up to 5/6 dam away from the mean which is 520. (Probably lower).  This is a spread on heights. I guess this cluster holds the cold pool a little further back than the mean (and op) which have it further sw.

Cheers BA, once I get my head around this, interesting tool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

GFSOPEU18_72_1.png

May amount to nothing but the low on this GFS looks a fair bit deeper but also further south...

ICON is still good, lets hope for some improvements for down here after the underwhelming 12z output for the weekend. The ensembles at least suggested it's still in the balance. I really don't want cold rain lol

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
1 minute ago, Philbill said:

It does make me wonder at time how the density of colder air is factored into model algorithms

Me too. I'm not clued up on the science behind it, but I have heard that this is the case before on this forum. I believe the density of this brutally cold air should make it harder to shift. I believe "thickness"  charts indicate air density

Even without a block holding cold air in situ, logically it should be more difficult to shift than a less cold air mass. 2 days for a large swath of Europe seems awfully quick. The GFS has already backed down from its rapid breakdown, and it appears the 18z may be following the same trend...

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, johnwirral said:

Why are the big 3 models expected to follow the ICON when they have been correcting north consistently?

Because the ICON has been performing well lately; it what the 1st model to spot the initial Easterly, and while the othesr flipped around with wild swings of our far north/south easterly setup it pretty much showed it where is currently is today a week ago. It seems at least at match for the big 3 during this reversal of strat winds don't know why. Once we are back to normal type patterns I expect the others will outperform it again.

• Like 7