Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Model output discussion - the beast arrives

Paul

Please only post model discussion in here! 
Other options:
Model moans, ramps and banter
Regional discussions

For more focused short-range model discussion:
Short-range Model Discussion

Message added by Paul

Recommended Posts

Will someone please keep feeding the hamster!!!:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pub run not good past Saturday! Loads of snow before that, let's see what the Euros bring in the ooz

:)

Edited by snowice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One too many for the gfs on the pub run I think. It'll probably wake up in the morning and see the 18z out put and think OMG what did I do last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gfs started with the low further south of then the previous run but then does what it always does when it loses the plot and overdeepens the low and sends it into island. 

Edit. 

120ukmo fax looks good with the front occluded all the way out past the southeast corner which means all snow 

Edited by Tom Jarvis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matthew Gill said:

One too many for the gfs on the pub run I think. It'll probably wake up in the morning and see the 18z out put and think OMG what did I do last night.

I hope this aint a new trend. :unsure2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nights King said:

I hope this aint a new trend. :unsure2:

I wouldn't worry, 4 days ago, this cold spell and its freezing uppers, were going off into France.

If on wednesday, the warmer air is still showing, I'd throw in the towel then :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say this is looking like a very strange set up!

On iPad so can’t link to the UKMO fax chart but that takes the low north then nw with some trough disruption to its east which stops the milder air from getting much further than the south coast.

I think we’re seeing the problems modeling this with it not actually moving through on the jet but hanging around and slowly then lifting towards Ireland .

All the main models tonight do send some energy eastwards . The ECM and UKMO cleanly allowing the second runner in the Channel, the GFS thinks about it but doesn’t eject the shortwave energy cleanly.

 

Edited by nick sussex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I have to say this is looking like a very strange set up!

On iPad so can’t link to the UKMO fax chart but that takes the low north then nw with some trough disruption to its east which stops the milder air from getting much further than the south coast.

I think we’re seeing the problems modeling this with it not actually moving through on the jet but hanging around and slowly then lifting towards Ireland .

All the main models tonight do send some energy eastwards . The ECM and UKMO cleanly allowing the second runner in the Channel, the GFS thinks about it but doesn’t eject the shortwave energy cleanly.

 

Ireland says ‘yes’ to having low move north from modelled location as gfs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to say folks but don’t expect any answers to the low for a few more runs.

I’ve been on here close to 14 years ! And I really can’t remember this type of set up before.

Perhaps my memories not what it was , perhaps some of the other old timers might remember something similar! :cc_confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Sorry to say folks but don’t expect any answers to the low for a few more runs.

I’ve been on here close to 14 years ! And I really can’t remember this type of set up before.

Perhaps my memories not what it was , perhaps some of the other old timers might remember something similar! :cc_confused:

Totally agree. It's bamboozling me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies if I get this totally wrong - potential of freezing rain turning into an ice storm on Thursday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Catacol said:

Totally agree. It's bamboozling me.

It’s like the attempted breakdown sponsored by the Twilight Zone! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Sorry to say folks but don’t expect any answers to the low for a few more runs.

I’ve been on here close to 14 years ! And I really can’t remember this type of set up before.

Perhaps my memories not what it was , perhaps some of the other old timers might remember something similar! :cc_confused:

As an old timer I am getting more confused than the models. All I know is that it changes every 6 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Sorry to say folks but don’t expect any answers to the low for a few more runs.

I’ve been on here close to 14 years ! And I really can’t remember this type of set up before.

Perhaps my memories not what it was , perhaps some of the other old timers might remember something similar! :cc_confused:

It looks like the low is being pulled from the southern jet heading into Spain and the easterly weaker jet to the north of it. 

I think it will be weaker than projected and further south come the time but it’s a headache that’s for sure.

A5D9458D-D653-4D30-9809-A335EA710498.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

T120 FAX is ecm rather than ukmo 

Tonight's gfs 18z looks very similar to last night's ecm 12z. However, tonight's ecm does not turn into the shocker of last night's run. Many reasons to stay positive for long term cold tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

It’s like the attempted breakdown sponsored by the Twilight Zone! :D

No you're quite right Nick. In my 45 years of weather obsession, I've never seen anything like this, though of course there weren't models back then! Obviously this SSW is so unprecedented that it's having some very weird effects. The models are doing what they always do & calculating stuff, whether the normal rules apply at the moment I wouldn't guess. I'm not usually without an opinion, but if I was asked now what the weather might be like on Friday, I would genuinely have to say I don't know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally i think GFS is having a hard time with all this! It's unusual territory for it and is clearly struggling been model watching for 4 years and not seen anything like this... To me GFS is just stuck and keeps making nonsense paths for the low pressure! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those bamboozled look at the jetstream - It is the returning jet that assists in powering the low - the easterly is a victim of its own success.

GFSOPEU18_87_21.thumb.png.874de513abcf0c30a2a9e54bd5eea070.png

Though from this point the jet is a mess so nothing is sure yet....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My advice is don't let the Gfs 18z breakdown to less cold spoil your enjoyment of what will be a severe wintry spell..the like of which we haven't seen for a good few years and there is time for next weekend onwards to look much better again, hopefully in the morning!:D:cold:❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...