Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
2 minutes ago, warmintim said:

We need to remember that the warning is not for snow, its for the disruption. I am pretty certain that most in the region of the warning will see snow on Thurs and Fri, its the amounts, and the wind, etc that will dictate the level of warning involved.

1 minute ago, tomjwlx said:

and the added risk of freezing rain!

Yep the specifics will not be defined right up to the start of it and suspect even then it will be a nowcast on how severe it will be. Thats whats great about the weather and events like this no one really knows, no technology in this modern world can work out the weather. They can give it a right good go though, what a job weather forecasters do!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I may be wrong here but I think this is what @Bring Back1962-63 Was alluding to earlier; this streamer looks like it’s making its move towards the Devon/Cornwall coast

EEC4C401-F2E9-46A6-97BD-58BFEA0C33B8.jpeg

Edited by khodds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy
3 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

But the snow is one of the main factors of the disruption? Basically the same thing.

I don't really agree - 1 cm of snow will not be disruptive. I think a chart of likelihood to snow would be 'very likely', its the disruptiveness that is the question. It's probably a moot point - a red warning would equate to a snowfest, which I guess most of us want.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Bright sunshine with a temp of -0.6°C. Don’t see that very often here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Nothing here yet. Don't expect anything really until Thursday, and that event is still shrouded in uncertainty. Cant say at the moment that this event has filled me with much joy - though as Knocker says - it has been beautifully bright and clear here today. Clear and crisp anyday over mild and wet!

• Like 6

Posted

I really don't know why this area is in the waring zone. True, we have had some decent snow showers but some of you outside the zone have had more. Nothing of note settled. :nonono:

Awaiting darkness to see if conditions change. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.

Can someone kick the radar? Ruddy thing. Pay for it all year and barely use it, works fine, finally need it and it decides to play silly bu**ers. :D

• Like 3

Posted

Had a nice heavy shower in Pompey around 2ish that settled well, then another lighter shower getting the ferry back to gosport around 3pm
Told had same heavy shower in Gosport too.
A light covering still remains in the garden in the shadier parts that is slowly disappearing now.

Still a few flakes now and again blowing in the wind.

Posted
7 minutes ago, khodds said:

I may be wrong here but I think this is what @Bring Back1962-63 Was alluding to earlier; this streamer looks like it’s making its move towards the Devon/Cornwall coast

EEC4C401-F2E9-46A6-97BD-58BFEA0C33B8.jpeg

Yes as the wind swings from the NE/E to a more E/SE that lovely line of snow should pummel southern devon and cornwall!! :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

Few snow showers on and off but nothing worthy of note. As it stands we have bright sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

After the sun came out for a brief moment, it is snowing again..!

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Oh look the top of the M3’s done well again today like they did yesterday. Looks like a reasonable covering too. 

4E5B3184-B564-406E-8FA2-1BA24EC8AF53.png

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
5 minutes ago, warmintim said:

I don't really agree - 1 cm of snow will not be disruptive. I think a chart of likelihood to snow would be 'very likely', its the disruptiveness that is the question. It's probably a moot point - a red warning would equate to a snowfest, which I guess most of us want.

Hence what I said in my original post. We're both saying the same things in different ways.

The reason were on the high impact is definitely because of the snow. If you take the snow out of the equation, then it would be just low impact moderate wind.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Climate_Eyes said:

Can someone kick the radar? Ruddy thing. Pay for it all year and barely use it, works fine, finally need it and it decides to play silly bu**ers. :D

They should ensure a server capable of dealing with peak demand. As customers, when else would we require radar!? Well of course, when there's a weather event that is likely to see all who pay for it, use it. 

<rant off>

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, MidnightSnow said:

Hence what I said in my original post. We're both saying the same things in different ways.

The reason were on the high impact is definitely because of the snow. If you take the snow out of the equation, then it would be just low impact moderate wind.

Don't forget the chance of freezing rain too that would up the impact somewhat :) 

• Like 1

Posted

Just watched weather update on Beeb News24. Snow for Thursday - all of south west and south coast as far east as IoW. Looks like it'll hit in morning down south and up to here by middayish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
11 minutes ago, Beasterly said:

Few snow showers on and off but nothing worthy of note. As it stands we have bright sunshine.

3 miles south of you and we had a decent snow shower buddy. 15 minutes, covering on most surfaces. Big flakes aswell at times. Now back to sunshine and temp just around freezing. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Updated ICON snow predictions for Thus-Sat:

tempresult_hov7.gif

• Like 1

Posted

ICON looks patchy.:nonono:

Meanwhile now - absolutely black clouds approaching from the NE as viewed from back garden.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Latest Meto forecast for the SW on Thurs - Sat;

IMG_20180227_160119.thumb.png.e0ca7dbad402a51602872a73b6633c34.png

After viewing the 0z model output, that really is as good a forecast as we could have hoped for re snowfall.  I'm sure many of us would bank that forecast now.

Anyway, onto the 12z model output.  Let's hope for a step up in confidence and support for the above forecast.  FWIW, I don't have much worry about it turning to rain for the Bristol area, I think that is a low risk outcome for now.  My main concern is the PPN missing us to the west altogether and only getting light flurries of snow.

Also, what a wonderful day it has been today.  Not very often we get a sunshine & proper snow showers day this far west.  Could live with this weather for a while if a significant snowfall wasn't in the pipeline.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

ICON looks patchy.:nonono:

Meanwhile now - absolutely black clouds approaching from the NE as viewed from back garden.

Hmmm not liking the ICON at all.