Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

Morning all....well what a few days we've all had and after being snow starved for so long we got what we all wanted...that's certainly given me my snow fix...all getting back to normality now...roll on next winters rollercoaster...bring on the thunderstorms for the spring and summer....:good:

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Forgot to mention, can't get no milk for love nor money!

Edited by Mapantz
not milf, MILK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
Just now, Mapantz said:

Forgot to mention, can't get no milf for love nor money!

Do you mean 'MILK' hahahahahah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Well it’s raining now and for once we’re not saying ‘if only this was snow’, although I wouldn’t have complained if it was. It’s been the most interesting spell of weather for a while topped off with the best snow event for years. Now quite quickly returning to normality with the snow rapidly melting. 

1F48C857-F120-4574-9561-FCA5D5313CFF.jpeg

AF64C1BA-3D38-4DDA-9F1E-44C90B481BAA.jpeg

Posted

2mm collected now rain rate still 6.2mm/hr up to 4.6C more like a rapid thaw than slow here as it stands!

Posted
1 hour ago, khodds said:

Thaw here now. Good job, I’ve had enough now. Never thought I’d say that! Roll on spring!! Fed up because I think I’ve fractured my wrist.

Oh no! Hope it heals quickly. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Thawing quite rapidly now, snow disappearing quicker than a crack heads giro.

• Like 2

Posted
53 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Thaw in process - wonderful few days. Going to take another walk out - and another tomorrow. By Monday it will all be in patches, and winter is gone I think for this season. A real rollercoaster season with lots of potential, near misses and a big hit to finish. Probably cant ask for much more. I wont post much over the summer - I hide from the heat... but have enjoyed it in here this year having not really been a regional fish in the past - so next year will spend more time in this forum.

One last post in the mod thread to come - a kind of hindcast analysis... but wont be for a few days. I'm not in the mood at the moment - feel pleasantly punch drunk from the last 2 - 3 weeks!

Has this demonstrated that a SSW can be so effective that it jumps its own pattern off the cliff?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Temperature here higher than predicted by METO and BBC.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Doh??????

IMG_0696.JPG

Posted
14 minutes ago, Blizzardof82 said:

Temperature here higher than predicted by METO and BBC.

3.8C now was 4.8C but come back down a bit!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

My temperature has just limped back in the 1. Somethingorother, and rain / swizzle here . I thought the temps were going to rise through the night . 

There was a hefty looking band of rain/ snow over Exeter, but just west of Tiverton now. I know they've had rain . 

Maube the air won't be warming as quickly as we thought . 

The sky is looking brighter now and the birds are out and about . Lots of lying snow and roads dangerous but hopefully it will soon clear :-) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Been dodging almost all of the rain here so far today. There was a bit in the middle of last night but it seems that mostly froze onto the snow surface as dawn revealed the snow to have another ice layer on it, but this one a bit slushy in nature due to temps having already edged above freezing.

Since then there's been a bit of hazy sun to make things look nice, but due to practicalities to deal with and the roads still being in a right state on the way out of the valley, I've not had a chance to go and see what it's like on the open heathland of the New Forest. I still have clear memories from 2010 of how that looks though, so not too bothered.

Some rain coming in by the looks of the radar although it's still struggling to hold together this far inland. That might clean up the roads a bit so I might try for the New Forest a bit later, in case there are some decent drifts holding on. After all, there's one that's still over a foot deep just round by the bins at the side of my house!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm going to miss this forum now that the cold spell is coming to a end hope to see some of you back next winter where we start looking for cold all over again, I tend to stick around all year as I love the summer months and storms!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Got rain falling now and while the roads are clear apart from slush deposits there's still loads of snow drifts on most paths around here so so needed my snow boots on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

As an aside - watching a small circulation due south of the Solent with some interest, as it's tracking east of any model output that I've seen. It looks like an attempt to try and have that splitting away east of LP to keep us in the cold through Sunday, but the system is small and not evident in the analysis charts so it may not be strong enough circulation-wise to change the broader pattern.

Meanwhile, the ENE flow seems to have obliterated the rain band that was trying to move in here; I've seen barely anything!

• Like 2

Posted

Took this footage whilst driving home along the A303 last Thursday eve - Queue carried on for much longer than shown but just filled with stranded lorries

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Well what can I say that hasn't  already been said this winter has been fantastic. Before this passed week I thought it was going to be another dull winter but it certainly went out with a bang. A big thank you to all posters that have kept me entertained through all of it. I hope all the newbie posters will stick with us in here and seen how crazy it gets from time to time. :rofl:  Roll on thunderstorms and the summer warmth now. 

I will leave you with a couple of pictures taken earlier. No cats were harmed in the making of the picture lol

IMG_20180303_115758837.jpg

IMG_20180303_110901031.jpg

Edited by nettie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Andy Bown said:

Amused to see a comment or 2 referring to the sun as 'odd yellow thing in the sky'. It's only been Thursday and yesterday without sun, prior to that it was almost full on sun for 6 or 7 days with snow flurries interspersed earlier this week!

Yes haha. In fact this February has been my sunniest on record, beating 2008 by an hour.

Here and now, the haziest of sun through an otherwise white sky and the lightest of drizzle. This cold spell gets 9/10 for me, the exceptionality of it counteracting the fact we missed the heaviest of the snow and that it's coming to an end as quickly as it started.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Talking of sunshine.. I recorded 126.1 hours for February. MetO derived average is 85.4 hours. Twice as many hours than January, and 13 hours more than I recorded in September 2017.

SunshineByMonth.thumb.png.9a34b53f27c29d3db2bf6a59e5d15d4a.png

• Like 4