Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I see the ICON is being thrown around again, as if it's some kind of saviour?! I don't remember the GME being bandied around before it became the ICON?

Interesting to note, the forecast accuracy of the ICON took a bit of a nose-dive through the period of the 26th February to the 2nd of March. :closedeyes:

Posted
3 hours ago, offerman said:

Bring on the storms now like

last summer 

I captured this over Frome 

3A1E15C3-0D85-427B-B682-D4C5C6738963.png

Wow! What date was that? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

lol...it's snowing again!

• Like 5

Posted

Weirdly the thaw doesn’t seem to be happening too quickly here... snow still lying everywhere it hasn’t been cleared, even still on roofs!

Reckon it’s probably down to the thickness of the ice we got on top of the snow and that’s what’s holding on rather than the snow itself.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

current conditions, light snow, temp 1c, dew points 0c......band of showery ppn arching northwards across the area

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
44 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Wow! What date was that? 

I will check on that Andy but it was incredible for a couple of reasons.

while back from buckland dinham area I notice really black cloud and line on bottom of it cloud bank. I thought I saw flashes toward westbury and then when approaching Frome it incredible because on the radar was such a small storm cell. It was also really intense pink lighting and very very slow moving . It continued moving very slowly without losing intensity. And was tiny on the radar and just the perfect distance away for watching it outside with camera in hand.

also lighting kept hitting in similar spots top up on cley hill . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Heavy rain here in Frome 

no snow no sleet just rain rapid thaw 

at this rate all gone by the morning 

edit no rain 

feeling chilly but did rain earlier 

Edited by offerman

Posted

a quick survey of the NW radar shows that normal winter weather service has now been resumed........The rain/sleet/snow boundary is once again the M4....lol

• Like 1

Posted

Yes temp dropping now, down to 1.2C!! Coming down quite nicely although melting on the cars in short order, be interesting to see if it cools enough to give a dusting.

• Like 1

Posted

Rapid thaw in Poole, it's almost all gone. Managed to have my fun last night. I'm content with that. The freezing rain was lethal. We had to crack through the layer of ice to get to the snow. Last night 2 of my grown up children and me (19 and 21) were outside like big kids throwing snow balls, stomping through the ice and snow having great fun. Yes it was a nightmare walking to and from work but it was lovely when I had a chance to mess about in it. If it stayed the powdery stuff that would be fine but I'm glad the ice has all but gone. Having said that, it's been a memorable spell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Been raining for a while, still plenty of snow lying though, especially where it drifted. 

Posted

Wonder how long some of these drifts will hang around, be interesting to see, there are some huge ones around up this way and still know of roads that are still completely blocked (mainly back roads that are not used much)

Posted

Randomly snowing here in Gloucester, not expected at all 

Posted
13 minutes ago, snowysouth said:

Rapid thaw in Poole, it's almost all gone. Managed to have my fun last night. I'm content with that. The freezing rain was lethal. We had to crack through the layer of ice to get to the snow. Last night 2 of my grown up children and me (19 and 21) were outside like big kids throwing snow balls, stomping through the ice and snow having great fun. Yes it was a nightmare walking to and from work but it was lovely when I had a chance to mess about in it. If it stayed the powdery stuff that would be fine but I'm glad the ice has all but gone. Having said that, it's been a memorable spell.

This past week has been brilliant and memorable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Some bigger flakes. Settled on most surfaces despite wet snow. 

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .
1 hour ago, dec10snow said:

Weirdly the thaw doesn’t seem to be happening too quickly here... snow still lying everywhere it hasn’t been cleared, even still on roofs!

Reckon it’s probably down to the thickness of the ice we got on top of the snow and that’s what’s holding on rather than the snow itself.

Yes , it's holding on quite spectacularly. Very annoying . The  roads aren't too bad and on some roundabouts large puddles .But getting in and out of side roads and drives is very tricky .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Normal practise again now - sleet! Yuck.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Thinking of opening up an new thread in a bit ready for the new week ahead, but what an amusing period it has been with all the wacky weather that’s occurred here!

Edit: Locking this now

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5