Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Still some of the drifting snow hanging on in Salcombe, but the melt is well underway and I imagine it'll be more or less gone by this time tomorrow.

But what a spell of weather! Absolutely incredible. Some of the surrounding villages between Salcombe, Kingsbridge and Totnes got absolutely buried. Kingsbridge Police closed one of the roads near to Totnes Cross yesterday with 13ft drifts, and there were numerous other places that were cut off. Think it'll probably be another day before things start getting back to normal for them.

The winds yesterday morning were absolutely brutal again, and the coastal road at Torcross has been severely damaged which is devastating for the local community. It wasn't just ice and snow here that's for sure!

Now we need to keep an eye on flooding, already quite a few reports coming in this morning like Frogmore and other vulnerable places.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

Now we need to keep an eye on flooding, already quite a few reports coming in this morning like Frogmore and other vulnerable places.

That's a wonderful place name! There's a road in Westbury (Wiltshire) named the same.

Melt underway here too, we have decided to leave clearing snow and see how much is left tomorrow pm.

More important to get out and enjoy it with our boy.

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely snow is still on the ground. Feeling more like a British Winter. Lovely for everyone to get out in it before its gone. Snowmen building material has improved due to the rising temperature. :D 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

That was Arsene’s Nose I promise ?

1A5B50D2-538E-4562-967E-8E2AB4BDE359.thumb.png.67aaf81514b7aa783da2bec11de97d54.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

1A5B50D2-538E-4562-967E-8E2AB4BDE359.thumb.png.67aaf81514b7aa783da2bec11de97d54.png

You won't get it to grow that way around! :D

Posted

Thaw well underway now.

A big thanks to everyone whose posted informative and amusing posts and pictures over these past few days. It’s been fun.

Right off out to enjoy it before it goes. At this rate it will pretty much be gone by the end of the day. Wasn’t expecting the thaw to begin until around lunchtime.

Edited by bathweatherwatcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

temperature up to 0.7c and the very slight thaw on roof of house now taking place.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nights King said:

temperature up to 0.7c and the very slight thaw on roof of house now taking place.

What did you end up with ?

Posted

Moderate snow now falling outside :yahoo:

I thought it was over :cold-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

What did you end up with ?

Not sure it is hard to say with drifting id say around 30cm? 

• Like 3

Posted

The weather seems pretty keen to melt my snow. We've been right in a sweet spot for rain during the night, light-moderate rain now with more to come. Reached 6.0C overnight though it's now fallen to 3.8C.

In fact the river is quite high. Davis gauge has 22.6mm of melted snow and rain (some may have blown out). Manual shows 9.1mm of actual rain since I emptied it after 11pm last night.

Still white in places though more green showing in some parts of the fields, up to a few inches of level on the lawn still. A couple big piles of icy snow near here should take a while to go.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
Just now, Jayfromcardiff said:

Whiteout here!

I think we on borrowed time though jay.. :bomb:

• Like 1

Posted

Slow thaw underway here. The snow laying is quickly turning from ace powder to wet stuff. Fog/mist later i suspect.

Posted

Well the thaw has now set in! It’s been quite an event I have to say and my total of 14 cm has done me and the family nicely! Bonus two days off work as well, the factory shut down completely, unheard of! For me this has surpassed the last snowfall here, now out to enjoy the last bit while we can! Hope everyone stayed safe and enjoyed what they got, for those that didn’t fare so well, really bad luck, but I’m sure we will all be back soon! I shall return for more convective fun!! ???

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Ended up with a maximum total of around 5cm once levelled off built up slowly over a few days of mostly light snowfalls with the odd heavier spell. Now melting at 2C.

Similar amount to what we had on December 10th.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted

Thanks to those who replied about the bird I couldn't place,this morning there were a few and they are Fieldfares,also late to the party a few finches,theyve had a tough few days,but ive done my best,as have many others im sure,to at least give them a helping hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Morning everyone the thaw has begun here with the temp already up to 2.9C it’s been a great few days!

Posted
1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

To be honest, I think that snowman could make a better job of managing Arsenal right now. Interim manager until the end of the season. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jason74 said:

To be honest, I think that snowman could make a better job of managing Arsenal right now. Interim manager until the end of the season. 

Carlo Ancolotti please ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all, it didn't turn to rain here overnight, it stayed as tiny snow flakes and gave an additional cm or so. Still flakes falling now and again, although there is a slight thaw going on with the snow sliding on the roof, it's still completely intact on the ground.