Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Few pics of the suburban landscape :)

IMG_3401.thumb.JPG.5d29d30db29d9694f3a1ca67e22bab96.JPG

IMG_3397.thumb.JPG.0774eb0aa2e1fb83a9e380bca2d258ea.JPG

IMG_3395.thumb.JPG.2dcc90f53ba615d25178489eb015b55e.JPG

Blizzard conditons again now :0

• Like 7

Posted

Not sure if this has been posted today but for anyone thinking of driving in the SW then check conditions before you do - this is a photo on various news web sites of a gritter between Torquay/Teingmouth this morning 

The overturned gritter

Edited by swebby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Anyone seen this amazing bus driver avoid the car? she essentially power-slides the bus around the car, incredible!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hero-bus-driver-who-avoided-12114000

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
17 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Snow still coming down thick and fast in Stroud :)

I use my hill test lol, if it comes in enough to obscure the view to swifts hill I know its decent lol.

Must be another few cms down in the last 90mins.

Just went for a little urban walk around Uplands with the dog, no lead needed as no cars, and the drifting was pretty impressive in places.

All in all a fantastic snow event.

Same here with hill test! Hills around Rooksmoor look like they are shrouded in fog. Snow much heavier than last night, not a whiteout but have 6 inches as an average with foot deep drifts on any slope. Great! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Been snowing for quite a while now. Proper snow day today and temp still hasn't gone above 0c for 3+ days! Sod winter, Spring is where its at!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Still snowing in PSJ.  Temperature -2.6c. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Anyone seen this amazing bus driver avoid the car? she essentially power-slides the bus around the car, incredible!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hero-bus-driver-who-avoided-12114000

On the basis of the driver filming it having kittens, I wonder what the driver in the way of the bus was saying!???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

More ppn heading in, what will it fall as ?

Posted

How high are the drifts over there? Some of the drifting in the Gwent valleys are mad.......some reach up to the first floor and you could sledge down if you were brave enough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Heavy snow here.

1p sized flakes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Coming down heavy again with some biggish flakes mixed in. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Completely missed us!!!

FBD89327-B6E0-4E07-BC18-F364A8C85681.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

After this spell of snowfall this afternoon, looks like there could be a few heavy snow showers later tonight and possibly a few light ones tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John88B said:

I have about 50 red wings sat in the big tree at the front of my house. The're just part of an even bigger flock! Beautiful birds.

I nearly read this too quickly. I thought it said 50 red warnings on Saturday :D Sorry, I'm suffering from posting fatigue.

While I'm still waiting for the edge of the new snow band to hit, I'll knock out a few charts but with few comments this time:

NetWeather Radar 1515                         Live UK rain/snow radar                      Live France rain/snow radar                        Live standard satellite                           Live infra red satellite                   5a996cee3c45c_2.3rad1520.thumb.png.5a509dbc7afa67fcac9ff9a24e114d3e.png  lastsnowradar_uk.gif  lastsnowradar.gif  anim_ir.gif  anim_ir_color.gif

It seems that what I said (an hour ago in my post on page 293) about the slightly more favourable and less marginal conditions is helping to keep this second precipitation wave as an "all snow" event (at least for now at 1430). Although it is generally rather less cold, the surface cold has yet to be fully displaced and may take several more hits or a very slow and gradual rise in temps. Most of the region seems to be around -0.5c to -2c and about 1 c lower than before the snow band moved in. The dew points are still pretty low. The 850s rose just above zero last night but have fallen back to sub zero levels (not normally cold enough for snow but the other factors are all just in our favour right now). At least the uppers keep it as snow up there and the mixed middle layers may be playing ball this time - we'll see. The main thing is the flow direction. The Scandi HP is still there in situ, albeit a lot weaker now. Emma has changed trajectory as she is trying hard to push through the block but has not yet succeeded. The precipitation bands are now coming from northern France on a more south-east to north-west trajectory rather than yesterday's south to north path. In fact that secondary LP centre that has just developed over northern Italy is assisting with this and Emma herself may well be pushed north-west where she will do much less damage. There are other LPs in her rear which need to be monitored. Each push weakens the block a fraction more. If this trend continued (Emma to NW and north ital LP pushes further east and deepens) we could bring the easterly back in (not as cold as before but cold enough) although other factors are involved too. Very much one to watch now.

With the flow becoming more east-south-easterly, the winds are more due east (winds blow slightly across the isobars away from HPs and towards LPs). This means that instead of crossing the whole of the Channel (with its modifying effect to the near surface layers) it is coming more from north France and Belgium with a shorter sea crossing to the UK and then across the far south of England on its way to the south-west. The cloud and precipitation associated with this second band is continuing to pivot slightly and more favourably, hence the snow area moving further west than had been predicted just a few hour ago. South and south-west Devon (including me in the middle) are right on the south-western edge of all this. Just a few flakes so far (-1 c at 1500). Like yesterday, this is an evolving situation and the snow area has been expanding. Just how much and how far is very difficult to say. You can see in the infra red that the area of thicker cloud (the brighter colours usually represent precipitation but not necessarily so) is still expanding and developing as it moves into the UK. There is still some undercutting going on with the incoming less cold air still being forced to over ride the denser surface cold. Just how much longer can our faithful block hold on for? The forecast is for the less cold conditions to slowly move in - meanwhile let the battle continue.

Live Euro Pressure                       24 hours to 1410 Euro Pressure                      Live Euro Pressure                       24 hours to 1420 Euro Pressure                 Met O fax for 1200 Mar 2nd

pression2_eur2.png  tempresult_ylu9.gif  temp_eur2.png  tempresult_fkx6.gif   20180302.1400.PPVA89.png

Live Euro Dew Point temps        24 hours to 1350 Euro Dew Point temps         Live Euro Wind Chill temps              24 hours to 1420 Wind Chill temps          Arome 6z T+7 for 1300 GMT Mar 2nd

pointrosee_eur2.png  tempresult_jgg1.gif  windchill_eur2.png  tempresult_ymm6.gif     arome-16-7-0.png?02-11

Edited by Guest
Correct typos and check charts

Posted
13 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

More ppn heading in, what will it fall as ?

Page 3 models?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
Just now, Jason74 said:

Page 3 models?

Dont be daft.

They wont be out in this weather.

Posted

The other day I queried the snow fall amounts for the East Ire coast - just had a butchers at this and quiet simply wow!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storm-emma/towns-on-lockdown-as-storm-emma-dumps-huge-amounts-of-snow-in-east-leinster-36662157.html

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.
8 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

After this spell of snowfall this afternoon, looks like there could be a few heavy snow showers later tonight and possibly a few light ones tomorrow morning.

Music to my eyes that is Ben

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
43 minutes ago, AWD said:

More snow falling.

I've experienced some of the deepest (drifts) of my life today.  Some were in excess of knee deep.

Only downside, it slowly disappears from tomorrow onwards.

Bitter pill to swallow lol :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
12 minutes ago, fromey said:

Completely missed us!!!

FBD89327-B6E0-4E07-BC18-F364A8C85681.jpeg

feel your pain I can see the final flakes of spring 2018 floating down as the front clears :sorry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've spent the last few hours setting up a PHP gallery on my website. I'm still configuring it at the moment, but i'm going to add all of the weather photo's that I have, including some from yesterday. I'll post the link the later.

ps: just started raining, so that'll freeze again!

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1