Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
6 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

And guess what, 12 hours too late it’s trying to snow ? cruel :nonono:

This is torture! Horrendous and can't go out yet the only snow we've seen in years and an excited 4 year old who doesn't understand why we can't go out today but could yesterday! Been following your posts for days Karlos! ?

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, trumpage said:

weather forecasting can not accuratly predict the weather days ahead... especially snowfall, its often marginal, streamers appear at short notice and the location effected is different even with small changes to the wind.  How about people learn about weather and nowcast by looking at the radar (would have helped if metoffice radar actually worked through this coldspell)

I think there is a way of doing it. Weather gets a little slot at the end of the news. Thats fine but when conditions are poised to get hairy, lets extend that time. We have Netweather and the MAD thread.. why can't the general public become part of the 'weather' conversation? We all talk about the possibilities; ahead and, just like politics, we need to bring severe weather prospects into the nations psyche and educate to a high standard, so that we all understand our world better.

For too long we have had a society that expects and has received Health and Safety legislation.. countless things have happened that take responsibility away from us - to make us all feel that whatever happens, we will be looked after/okay/fine/never in danger/totally safe/that things can and must carry on no matter what and if they don't there is some person to blame, never circumstance/amenities will always be there/no need for self-reliance. Well its not the case, the world is inherently dangerous. Right outside most of our front doors right now are conditions that could harm us. Our homes are a little bit analogous to the current societal state regarding environmental conditions and personal responsibility.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Wow my windows in my conservatory are 5cms thick now! 

C99FB6A8-6D93-4F30-A042-317E95BF803B.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Very disappointing here, we had plenty of snow but such small grains, most of it just blew away (not sure where) The grass is still  green bar a few drifts around house, roads are fine. Fortunately we didn't get any freezing rain (have witnessed this before and I feel for anyone who had it last night)

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Unbelievably this part of dartmoor has developed a snow shield. Hasn't really snowed or had anything fall from the sky since 11 last night. The angle of the in coming showers have hot the south Eastern part of the moor and deflected it around. Consequence minimal snow depth of 4cm.

Yep same here ??. What snow we had yesterday was whipped up into a frenzy and blown off. Some build up around hedges etc but not much lying at all. Bald patches in places. Still, I will remember the blizzard conditions and not look back on this being another totally rubbish winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Yep it’s snowing.... perhaps that will help traction? 

My daughters 7th Birthday tomorrow, got her presents to collect ☹️ That won’t be happening today, no chance 

as a weather enthusiast, I’m finding this amazing!! But it’s not practical, I’m out of beer and it’s Friday :shok:

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

It's drizzle here in north Bristol at the moment 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
5 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Yep it’s snowing.... perhaps that will help traction? 

My daughters 7th Birthday tomorrow, got her presents to collect ☹️ That won’t be happening today, no chance 

as a weather enthusiast, I’m finding this amazing!! But it’s not practical, I’m out of beer and it’s Friday :shok:

Even we must have had some brief freezing rain because my car has an ice glaze on it and most of drifting has stopped with slight glaze.

Light flurry currently. A37 still blocked out of village if I could get there :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

This is literally crazy. Ice one side of the house, huge snow drift the other.. got to try and get to wirk

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Christ what the hell was I thinking just looking out the window I didn't think this event rivaled 2010 and boy was I wrong, this snowfall bloody obliterates Dec 2010, and the depth, level snow of 7 inches generally and on my walk over to the pond more often than not the snow was reaching the top of my snow boots which is 13 inches! 

Absolutely bloody insane and more to fall later! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow & Thunderstorms

Not ventured out yet! Hardly any sleep though with the wind battering the windows. Pleased to report the birds survived, starting to come in the garden looking for food :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Icicles!!! It’s been a long time 

D3091196-6C4F-4D73-BC2B-1F9C1E4DBE0A.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

As a diversion I’ve been reading about winter 1947, very interesting, I was 3 then and remember struggling through snow with my mum in Horley.

what a winter that was, a good read.

going to read about 1963 now, I remember that one well.  Living in South Brent  and snowed in for a long time.

no supermarkets that I remember anyway, and no freezer for food storage.  No heating, only a Rayburn in the kitchen.   Dad made a sledge to go a mile to the village to get food!   That was after he dug out the 6 foot drift in the lane.

well, he was brought up in Montreal!

its solid ice outside now, the road is shiny, no gritters seen here!

just very windy but dry.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
3 minutes ago, Andrew_WSM said:

Not ventured out yet! Hardly any sleep though with the wind battering the windows. Pleased to report the birds survived, starting to come in the garden looking for food :)

The ducks are desperate for food so I'll be back over later with another load, garden is filling up with my usual garden visitors too, loads of goldfinches, starlings and some pied wagtails. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Whilst we patiently wait for round 2 to begin (up here in the NE of the region anyway!), some pics my son-in-law sent me of the road between Aldbourne and Swindon this morning and we didn't really have the heaviest falls yesterday that some have had!

IMG-20180302-WA0005.jpg        IMG-20180302-WA0003.jpg       

IMG-20180302-WA0001.jpg       IMG-20180302-WA0004.jpg  

Edited by wiltshire weather
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

So just seen bbc forecast and she said as much as another 20cm today :shok::yahoo:

Thats what I call spring proper. :crazy:

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 3

Posted

Just ventured out, quickly turned round and came back!! Can’t walk on the road or the path! LETHAL

F850C0A4-A34E-4DCA-B35B-1C2EF457CD0A.thumb.png.9e14c1c0475cb26376edc43d7c9c963b.png7DE3C2D2-CEF2-4BE1-B09C-46531C0E715C.thumb.png.aeedd2156908ea84b765ac05ad69c252.png

• Like 2

Posted

I was a bit concerned last night that the rain might have washed away the snow last night for coastal regions .

So happy to see pics showing a good covering remains however the ice build up messes up the day for those wanting to go out and play in it!

Regardless of the obvious irritation with this ice it’s quite unprecedented and something that might not be seen for many years .

I think southern coastal counties experienced every type of wintry weather possible thrown into a 24 hour period .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Anyone near Bathampton ? Got a friend who’s deciding whether to travel there via m4 this morning 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Wrong thread. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

I was a bit concerned last night that the rain might have washed away the snow last night for coastal regions .

So happy to see pics showing a good covering remains however the ice build up messes up the day for those wanting to go out and play in it!

Regardless of the obvious irritation with this ice it’s quite unprecedented and something that might not be seen for many years .

I think southern coastal counties experienced every type of wintry weather possible  thrown into a 24 hour period .

Nick, the ice is about a cm thick and on everything. 1978 was the last time I saw it like this.

• Like 2

Posted

Freezing bloody rain again here.  Somebody overnight has swapped all the clear glass units in my conservatory with frosted glass. Abandoned cars littering the hill where I live.  The dog wont go out and the road looks like a glacier lol. Happy days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

It's like an ice rink out there, well put it this way I opened up my window and the rain has frozen on the  ledge like glass. 

No way am I  going anywhere today. I thought the wind had died down , but it's blowingfrom a direction that doesn't make a noise . 

Its just nuts isn't it. Well the collides  have certainly had a cold spell to remember that's for sure. :):cold:

lets hope we can enjoy iti as well as being safe . 

Posted
1 minute ago, That ECM said:

Nick, the ice is about a cm thick and on everything. 1978 was the last time I saw it like this.

Yeah I’ve never seen anything quite like it! Fascinating stuff, but lethal ?

• Like 1