Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Very slow thaw underway in Salcombe. Road looks lethal outside though, no doubt it is still frozen.

We bought two pairs of YakTrax about 9 years ago, genuinely haven't had to use them until the last few days. You just slip them over your shoes, and no problemo walking in the ice!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Just ventured out in my work boots and dressing gown (fetching ha) to see what the road down the hill is like, not great!

Plenty of snow drifts hard to judge how much actually fell due to the wind. 

Looking ahead this afternoon looks potentially snowy again.

stay safe everyone 

• Like 1

Posted

Today's AMBER warning is one step from RED. I think that when the ice situation is evaluated (does the EA do this?) then there will be further advise issued by authorities. Stay safe, stay put and watch/listen for news.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 minute ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Bloody hell that freezing rain is nasty.

Not fun and it ruins your snow. 

Posted

Howling freezing cold wind all night, everything frozen outside.

still gale force wind now.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Uncle Gargy said:

Yep! That's what mine are like.

2 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Bloody hell that freezing rain is nasty.

Yeah it is, it’s still bloody coming down now! :help:

Posted

Morning all!

4th morning in a row woken up to falling snow.

What an incredible 24 hours! Epic snow, proper frozen rain and huge drifts.:yahoo:

North facing garden patio has about 25cm drifts 1 side and nothing on the other! My new official snow depth guage say it's at Chewbacca's thighs!

Stay safe!

Screenshot_20180302-065618.png

Screenshot_20180302-070112.jpg

Screenshot_20180302-070252.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Feeling sorry for stranded motorists on Devon roads last night.

looks truly awful out there for them.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

Very slow thaw underway in Salcombe. Road looks lethal outside though, no doubt it is still frozen.

We bought two pairs of YakTrax about 9 years ago, genuinely haven't had to use them until the last few days. You just slip them over your shoes, and no problemo walking in the ice!

I used my yaktrax in 2009/10! Fantastic things.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

I thought it'd preserve it.

I would have thought that too, much like Mapantz and others were saying yesterday it’s just put a hard crust of ice on top of our snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snow

Wow, take care all you folk who have had the freezing rain. 

I haven't been outside to investigate yet, but thankfully we appear to have missed the freezing rain here in Winterborne Kingston, but it seems this must only just be the case as I know that people not too far away (e.g. Wareham) have had it. Would it have been mainly a coastal phenomenon? It looks to me as though we may have had a bit more snow overnight as I can't see out footprints this morning, and all the snow is still there. It was a sort of sleet/ice pellets when I went to bed.

I haven't seen any mention of it, but I think we did have freezing rain when I lived in Bournemouth, I think this would have been winter 2009/10. I don't recall seeing any news reports at the time (but probably wasn't looking for it), however one morning everything was coated in a thick, glass like ice. Our flat had outside steps, and the steps and rails were absolutely treacherous. Pavements and roads as well. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snow

OK, I take it back. The snow is covered in a layer of ice which is very hard to walk on (this is reported by my wife and daughter). I assumed we had not had the freezing rain, as our windows are ice free unlike may of the pictures I have seen in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Looking over the charts, uppers are now falling for southern areas, should all be conducive for snow in the next 1-2 hours. 

• Like 4

Posted

Temperatures around the county (Gloucestershire) generally around -3 with gusty wind. Still snowing on and off here. Settled snow being blown around hitting my window regularly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

If I’m honest I want a rapid thaw! It’s horrendous outside, cars encased in ice, dread to think what pavements are like. Hope my plants/palms/bushes aren’t killed off by the ice ? 

still loads of snow everywhere, but it’s of little use I would think. Not ventured out yet. Need to find a crash helmet first

• Like 2

Posted

There are lots of old fashioned tricks for walking on ice. Wrapping Jute twine around your boots - so that you also walk on the twine, gives great traction. Obviously this is only going to be temporary.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

We had freezing rain last night after I went to bed by the looks of it as the snow is really icy and virtually no cars on the road, sister got to the end of the garages and turned round for to no grip what do ever! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
4 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

There are lots of old fashioned tricks for walking on ice. Wrapping Jute twine around your boots - so that you also walk on the twine, gives great traction. Obviously this is only going to be temporary.

Jute twine, yep got loads of that??? I've been out and everything has about 1cm of ice on it. Still got power, which is great?

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1