Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
31 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

I don't think people should be walking around on their own in this.

I work in a care home. I've just gone out but come back in. I can't even get past my drive. It's like a skating rink. I NEED to get to work. It's freezing rain now. Horrendous out there

Posted
1 minute ago, snowysouth said:

I work in a care home. I've just gone out but come back in. I can't even get past my drive. It's like a skating rink. I NEED to get to work. It's freezing rain now. Horrendous out there

Terrible dilemma, I know. Is there a solution? Can a 4 x 4 pick you up? Will the care home be short of staff if you are not there? Can somebody more local cover your job for today? 

Walking around on ice like this, on your own, is quite risky - especially as you do not feel confident in yourself to make such a journey.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

The ice is just ridiculous. The noise when walking on the snow is nuts. This is going to take ages to clear. This is way more dangerous than deep snow. Nothing will be able to drive on it.

Edited by That ECM

Posted
Just now, EllyTech said:

Terrible dilemma, I know. Is there a solution? Can a 4 x 4 pick you up? Will the care home be short of staff if you are not there? Can somebody more local cover your job for today? 

Walking around on ice like this, on your own, is quite risky - especially as you do not feel confident in yourself to make such a journey.

I've rang in. I know some nurses have stayed on site since yesterday. I work in kitchens. Everyone in the same boat. Nothing we can do. I'm hoping someone can pick me up. It's only a 25 minute walk but impossible. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
6 minutes ago, snowysouth said:

Very much a dilemna but if you can’t physically get in. You can’t. You are under a warning ⚠️.  They have health and safety rules your work place will need to abide by and forcing your staff to come in because it is their shift, against national warnings and your safety will be breaking those rules. Stay safe. (They will have staff already on shift who can’t leave the care home! ) stay safe. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowysouth said:

I've rang in. I know some nurses have stayed on site since yesterday. I work in kitchens. Everyone in the same boat. Nothing we can do. I'm hoping someone can pick me up. It's only a 25 minute walk but impossible. 

Take an overnight bag should end up managing to get there. 

If the covering of ice is severe, it would be unwise for any ordinary vehicle to drive on it. It could end up stranding yet another vehicle and endangering the driver.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Just woken up but haven't ventured outside. Had a look out of the window and everything is just shiney ice. The top of my car looks like a sheet of ice. Snow is still on the ground but looks like an ice rink. Luckily my road has been gritted but I don't think I will get my car off the drive. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow/thunderstorms

More snow for the south coast today according to met office.

Posted
2 minutes ago, divadee said:

Just woken up but haven't ventured outside. Had a look out of the window and everything is just shiney ice. The top of my car looks like a sheet of ice. Snow is still on the ground but looks like an ice rink. Luckily my road has been gritted but I don't think I will get my car off the drive. 

One never knows what's around the corner, literally. With ice, don't risk going too far - even on foot.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

For anyone who has this ice remember it's like trying to walk or drive on a ice rink. It is very dangerous much more so than walking or driving in snow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl
6 minutes ago, island lad said:

More snow for the south coast today according to met office.

I don' think it's going to happen for here. Temp has got too high. Think it will fall as rain or sleet if we see anymore. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, hoops said:

Freezing rain overnight on the top of Portland. Everything is sheet ice. Roads, paths, walls, front door, side of house....I've never seen anything like it before. Lethal but extraordinary to see.

You've had an ice storm. I do hope the Met Office decide to class it as such. Stay safe.

Posted

Still freezing rain here (and the odd ice pellet lol), looks like it has been much of the night.

'only' -0.4C so not sure if it's freezing as instantly as if it was colder, but it still seems to have covered most things with ice!

Radar suggests more to come, Will it turn to snow? Either that, or especially on hills where it's colder, and windier, I reckon thee could be some tree damage from the weight of the ice.

Posted

I'm listening to local radio - invaluable during bad weather. Surreal hearing them talk about impassable roads due to snow drifts!

Posted

We’ve also had freezing rain here on top of the snow. Radar says we’ve been under that lot that was coming up from the channel last night pretty much all night, but I think it’s just been freezing rain the whole time! I’m trying to upload a photo of the window but it’s not letting me :nonono:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Average size drifts in the garden, around 2ft! Another Amber alert for heavy snow later I see, bring it on :)

20180302_065149.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

We have a covering of ice on everything here too. Like an ice rink outside. Poor dog went skidding out the door when I let him out to do his business this morning and had a panic!