Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I wonder if this layer of ice will preserve our snow underneath it @karlos1983. Very dangerous way of doing it mind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain
14 minutes ago, fromey said:

It’s relentless here 

still not getting those brighter colours on the radar over us. I'm not going to bed until I see some larger flakes!! haha!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
2 minutes ago, Barmada_Casten said:

I am in barnstaple and have a dusting, how do you guys think I will fare tonight and tomorrow?

IMG_1330.JPG

image.jpg

im not quite sure, but if you're lucky you might wake with some tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Oh no I can see the moon ?

Posted
2 minutes ago, khodds said:

Yep - that’s where I am and it’s crazy!!!!

Is it snows or the snow protection unit aka ice storm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
Just now, matt111 said:

I wonder if this layer of ice will preserve our snow underneath it @karlos1983. Very dangerous way of doing it mind.

Yes I think it will. I’ve got so much I’d be surprised if it was all gone tomorrow if I’m honest. What did you end up with? 

19cm and drifts of 1-2 feet for me. Here’s my back door, 

DD80A303-2814-4578-838B-2ED6D3B88DF5.thumb.jpeg.277405233c77c68d6db70ec9188c480b.jpeg

that’s a 1.5 foot drop with step! Same now as it was before the ice came!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow & Thunderstorms
22 minutes ago, Andrew_WSM said:

The snow is the heaviest it's been here all day now, the wind isn't as bad as earlier but still gusty.

Actually in the last 10-15 mins the wind has picked up considerably.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

Is it snows or the snow protection unit aka ice storm?

BOTH!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windy, rumbly, flashy or snowy.

Well ice pellets are hitting my window here in Weston-snowy-Mess. My other half in Glastonburyhas reported it doing the same thing for the past 20 minutes too.x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
8 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Bbc4 now showing a documentary about the big freeze 1963

Im watching that, number 4 on the list of programmes on TV tonight relating to "The Big Freeze" , this one is good because it is history, however the other 3 i don't get, the freeze has'nt even ended??

Posted

Mendip looks like the sweet spot. Sure you’ll be on over a foot by when this is done. With drifts too!! Plenty more to come.

A8A42F35-1E8B-43F5-963D-2753F58D588B.thumb.png.8385e61add2020a461f822564c0612ad.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

The Thursday night video forecast on the Meto website shows the freezing rain area expanding a bit and then fizzling out around 1am.

Then around 0500 the snow starts building again across the region and looks like it keeps going most of the day!

Edited by wiltshire weather
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Light freezing drizzle now after light freezing rain+ice pellets for a while. Wind getting up, but it's stopped any drifting.

Precip still keeps weakening approaching here (heavy stuff NE and SW of me). Not sure what to think, if snow guess I'd be annoyed.
Surely those intense echoes are not all snow in Somerset..  Also if it's still snow down in Asburton these things are kind of annoying.

The worst seems to be a bit east of the red warning based on radar now and radar accumulations.

It's been a good event, but a bit of a unsavoury taste to finish. after a good day it was forecast to be heaviest this evening, with an increasing wind giving blizzard like conditions and drifting. Met Office forecast just updated to continue the 'heavy snow' symbols until 3am and also at 5am! :laugh:
Also, it's still more than a degree warmer than forecast at -0.9C now still so maybe their -1C will become just above freezing?

BBC report said there was freezing rain in Tiverton. I think freezing rain or ice pellets could affect most of the region.. looking at the 850's and freezing level on the models.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
2 minutes ago, khodds said:

BOTH!!

I wont be going to work in the morning.... fact. :rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Well to say I am disappointed we have missed out here in West Sussex today in a understement. But loving the pics of all the deep snow you guys have had. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

Guys - the ice storm frozen car window (hope the vid works)

IMG_4967.mov

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Barmada_Casten said:

I am in barnstaple and have a dusting, how do you guys think I will fare tonight and tomorrow?

IMG_1330.JPG

image.jpg

That’s probably more than me in Braunton. Why don’t you jump on the bus to Ilfracombe tomorrow ? Loads there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Just been outside for a smoke and to check on my stray cat (again) it's the worst it's been here all day, absolutely hammering down with snow and blowing a gale. Cat fine though, wrapped up in so many layers it's nice and toasty, sticks his head out to be fed then retreats again, feeding him every few hours to make sure he's warm enough, if this keeps up he'll be too fat to fit out through the gap.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Yes I think it will. I’ve got so much I’d be surprised if it was all gone tomorrow if I’m honest. What did you end up with? 

19cm and drifts of 1-2 feet for me. Here’s my back door, 

DD80A303-2814-4578-838B-2ED6D3B88DF5.thumb.jpeg.277405233c77c68d6db70ec9188c480b.jpeg

that’s a 1.5 foot drop with step! Same now as it was before the ice came!

I haven't measured it but I'd guess 5-10cm, definitely a fair bit less than 19cm, although some areas are bare where it's blown. Drifts are obviously higher. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
3 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I wont be going to work in the morning.... fact. :rofl:

Ditto. Fully intend to go out with the camera, hoping to make it up to Priddy to see what it's like up on the plateau, then pig out in the Queen Vic.

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like the rain/snow band breaking up to the south of Hampshire/W Sussex. Not too bothered if it's not snow. 

I'm still a bit confused about when tomorrow's snow is due. Met Office end it in the morning and have a sprinkling later on. Other models have quite a notable event at a different point in the day. Time to check HIRLAM and ARGEPE, they seem closest to the mark very often!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

I think there may be some light ice pellets or freezing rain at the moment here in Southampton, can see small raindrops on the windowsill as well.