Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
6 minutes ago, SNOW CRYSTAL said:

Thanks Back on for now but keeps going off.

We'v had flickers but we are still on up here 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Those asking for photos of ice storms do realise how stupid a request that is? Windows will be covered in ice. The only time you can get a good photo of an ice storm is from outside and nobody should be going outside until after it's ended. Just wait.

And that is why, wayyyy back in the conversation, I mentioned that you will seldom find video of the actual event. Only the aftermath. 

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

The glaze of freezing rain on my north facing conservatory window.  Photo taken a couple of minutes ago.  Never seen anything like it!

Freezing rain.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

No sign of freezing rain in Wembury, SW Devon.  I've been waiting for two hours to say what was happening as an intense radar shadow went over, but they keep evaporating just before they get here.  I think it is mainly old snow blowing around in the wind now. Air temp -1.3c, DP -1.7c.  With the way these showers are disappearing, it looks to be about it for a while. There is one more shower maybe about an hour away, but I'm not expecting it to do anything different to the others.  More snow would have been great, but at least it looks like we won't get the freezing rain.

Conditions for Wembury, Devon at 20:58 on 01/03/18
85m ASL, 1 Mile from the coast and 5 miles SE of Plymouth
Sunrise/Sunset -   6:58/17:58
wx forecast -  Increasing clouds and cooler.  Precipitation possible within 6 hours  Windy with possible wind shift to the W, NW, or N. 
=====================================================================
Temperature    : -1.3°C (Feels like -7.3°C)
Dewpoint       : -1.7°C
Humidity       : 97%
Pressure       : 982.9mb and Falling Rapidly over 3 hours
Today's Rain   : 0.00in
Current Rain   : 0.00in/hr
Solar Radiation: 0W/m² (UV index : 0.0)
10 Minute Average / Gust Wind Speed  * Direction
14.0mph / 30.0mph * Dir=ENE

Posted

What a fantastic snow event here in soton the LP tracked further east and gave us a good dumping. Temp rising quickly now. Heavy precipitation seems to be stalling on the isle of wight which i think is good as it feels as though rain is more likely. Guessing that back edge of precipitation is the warm front and dont want to get on the other side of it. Hoping it slides away west with minimal ice to melt/ruin the snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
2 minutes ago, dec10snow said:

Huge flakes falling now!!

Lucky bugger, I'm on the far NE point of the intense echoes and still snizzle...

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, nettie said:

Stevede4 that looks good  I work in a care home in Old Sarum so glad I got next couple of days off.

I've just seen a gritter AND a plough going up the road to Amesbury, so I'm guessing that high, open area around High Post is a mess...

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Lucky bugger, I'm on the far NE point of the intense echoes and still snizzle...

Intense echoes missing me as well. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mr Bartlettazores said:

Re freezing rain, I’m sure it happened at some point in December 2010 and the M27 near Southampton Airport was shut for a short time. Can anyone else remember this?

Yes it happened in Axminster, one minute it was raining and the next everything was covered in ice, I saw icicles form infront of my eyes from the shed roof, cars were skidding all over the roads. That was in 2010

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
12 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Just realised what I said. Gotta be getting on for 8 inches now.

And you think that's a better thing to say?

Posted
1 minute ago, wormster33 said:

The glaze of freezing rain on my north facing conservatory window.  Photo taken a couple of minutes ago.  Never seen anything like it!

Freezing rain.jpg

Incredibly rare, thank you and to Matt too. Stay inside, make sure you have airflow from your homes and like I advised Mapantz, put a little vaseline (if its not too late) around the moving parts of windows. If your front door is a tight fit, open it when safe then put some vaseline around the frame and the door latch.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Still heavy snow here with larger flakes now. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Here in the East of Ireland this is what our Met people have to say:

The snow that’s on its way could be “record breaking” according to RTÉ weather presenter Karina Buckley.

Speaking on Liveline in the past few minutes, she said that the previous record snowfall was 49cm in the 1960s.

It could reach 50cm tomorrow.

This evening they mentioned "copious amounts of snow". I have never heard the word "copious" mentioned with regards to snow here in Ireland.

Edited by John Cox
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Local radio were saying earlier people were abandoning cars around salisbury. So yes steve I'm guessing it's bad that way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning and Snow

Freezing rain here in Gosport. Really strange hearing the crackling after the serenity of the snow during the day. Temp: -0.6C rising +0.7C /hr. DP -2.0. WC: -4C to -8C

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
1 minute ago, nettie said:

Local radio were saying earlier people were abandoning cars around salisbury. So yes steve I'm guessing it's bad that way.

Yeah, a few abandoned cars up by Lode Hill in Downton into Redlynch according to Spire FM earlier.. and I did see a few people walking my way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter

Dartmoor update,(Throwleigh), been snowing since early this morning and still going, must be 20-30 cm with bigger drifts, looks like its carrying on thru Friday, hope it finishes before the wine runs out!:cold: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Met Office forecast is a bit of a kick in the teeth when you see what's going on outside. However, it's been a good day! 15 - 20cm would be in the ballpark of what snow fell. The backdoor is still drifted up, approx. 2ft. I dread to think what state it will all look in tomorrow, especially after this freezing rain!

Posted

Err indoors took over 3 hours to get home from Salisbury,folk getting out of cars to push the bus,lorries ect

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.
1 minute ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Yeah, a few abandoned cars up by Lode Hill in Downton into Redlynch according to Spire FM earlier.. and I did see a few people walking my way.

Spire said they were leaving cars around Churchill way north

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Snow!!

Is there such a thing as Blizzard Freezing rain, wow.

Its was dangerous out there , it so now.

Edited by wightwootton
  • Like 1