Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
8 minutes ago, Blizzardof82 said:

Correct, that would have been January 96 if my memory is correct.

That date sounds about right... no health & safety in those days as the buses were still running :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

It’s mental out there and there’s more to come!!:cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Anyone have any live feed webcams? Lurker from the north here :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

At last the brighter echoes on the radar are hitting here now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Nothing wet falling here.

It's blowing directly at my cam. If it was wet, it would blur over.

Screenshot_2018-03-01-19-51-10.thumb.png.301b1b64f342761a830a1effe29ca8d2.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun & Snow :)
4 minutes ago, festivalking said:

The bright echos in the channel are almost making landfall 

I'm just to the south of you, near derriford roundabout, the wind has really picked up now. Ice pellets hitting my window. not quite sure what is falling though as wind is that strong. whizzing past the lampposts!! horrible conditions out there. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Folks in the south of our region, that dark red massive blobby stuff moving northwards, is it as good as it looks?

Blow it northwards please towards Gloucester - I'll facilitate barrels upon barrels of gin your way.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Village is cut off. snow plough got stuck. It is hammering it down! its half way up my back door too :rolleyes:

I think everyone will agree with me when I say let's see your pics

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Still snow in Exeter, though perhaps evidence of some ice pellets mixed in.  17cm level snow now and drifts locally about 2 feet, epic!  Currently in a drier slot before the really heavy stuff comes, hope the heavy stuff doesn't fall as freezing rain here.  If it's predominantly snow we could get above 20cm!

• Like 1

Posted

I’m waiting patiently for the heavier stuff to reach here but it never does. It just dies out at the coast and as it gets further in land. Can I just ask why is this? 

Posted

Purely for the purpose of weather research, I'm going to walk to my local shop now & buy some beer. Nothing whatsoever to do with experiencing the current meteorological conditions. :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

Anyone on top of Cotswolds or even Birdlip that can give extreme updates?

Edited by Snow shut work

Posted
8 minutes ago, Blizzardof82 said:

That's right  Rovers were due to play City that day at Ashton but game was called off for crowd safety.

Correct! Remember it so well. Absolutely lethal stuff. Er indoors had her own ice skates and was the only one who could venture outside without falling on their derrièr!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Boooo

image.thumb.png.8d897128b314dc8950f08fb0243a4cd3.png

Looks like all the panic over nothing.

intense snow up north and now a nice clear skies on its way.

Posted

I Can't think it can avoid turning to freezing rain here.. not if the Euro4's 850's of +3C here on the coast by midnight, and not back below zero till midday tomorrow are correct :/ 
ECM gets to 2-3C towards parts of the south coast, and above freezing for most of the region (going back below about 9am)

Met Office symbols have snow throughout for me though.. can it compute freezing rain? But then it did show sleet at 0C a couple days ago so maybe. They show temps not getting above -1C tonight although they also said it should be -4C recently but it's actually -2.4C.

A heavy area just missed and now it's gone very light (would have been nice to get some proper heavy snow before it turns lol) Heavy stuff approaching quick, so will see what it is before too long.

Maybe it could be ice pellets, a traditional cross section in the US is snow -> Ice pellets -> Freezing rain -> rain (ice pellets when the cold surface layer is still deep enough). 
Anyway, the freezing rain will be more 'freezing' at higher elevations tonight, as up to at least 950hpa it looks like a normal temp profile (So colder the higher you get).

Posted
1 minute ago, kevvo said:

Purely for the purpose of weather research, I'm going to walk to my local shop now & buy some beer. Nothing whatsoever to do with experiencing the current meteorological conditions. :rofl:

Superb Kevvo. Grab as 4 pack of Maggie (Thatchers) and proper pork scratchings.

Posted
50 minutes ago, kevvo said:

Sounds like someone is throwing  dry rice against my windows. Guess that's freezing rain arriving, whilst we still have Met Office forecast for heavy snow. 

Hi Kevvo. For info about freezing rain. I grew up in the north cotswolds and was at secondary school in the 1962/3 winter. We had about three weeks of freezing rain.  When you were out in it it was just rain but all the trees, paths, telegraph wires etc.were coated in about an inch of ice. The wires and branches would keep snapping off. The previous drifted snow was rock hard and covered in a layer of solid ice. We used to walk right over the hedges as the snow was like concrete. Not seen freezing rain now for about 20 years. We have a place on the south coast in Christchurch and none of the neighbors had a clue what we were talking about when I mentioned freezing rain - its that rare and and its deadly so I hope you don't get much if any.

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Lynxus said:

Boooo

image.thumb.png.8d897128b314dc8950f08fb0243a4cd3.png

Looks like all the panic over nothing.

intense snow up north and now a nice clear skies on its way.

You've moved northwards Lynxus?

That snow is going to hook back and hang over north Glos by the looks of things?

Edited by Snow shut work

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Still snowing in western Exeter. There was a bit of a lull but it's now picked up again and quite fine powdery snow by the looks of it too