Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, wind. Hot summer days.
3 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Is it mean or has this recent spell of interesting weather brought out hundreds of "lurkers" on this thread....208 people currently WTF, a "few" more than a usual sunny day in August I must say..

"Lurker" for life :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 minute ago, Nights King said:

Village is cut off. snow plough got stuck. It is hammering it down! its half way up my back door too :rolleyes:

Pub?

5a98577f7f6b3_download(3).jpg.2be5b6b98878204c2a28358e89b5faa1.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It was freezing rain here for a time because I was looking at my sky dish and I could see ice forming as it came in contact. It is now back to ice pellets with some snow flakes mixed in. Snow covering still fine and dandy! ?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

No no....

freezing rain is literally that, it is when the air up above is warmer than the air at the surface ( there are different levels of 'above, but just go with it) 

this means the rain ultimately falls into really cold air ( as rain, plain and simple, not ice pellets) and then freezes instantly on contact with the ground or other surfaces because it is so cold. This results on a blanket of ice on every surface.

a very rare event!

i have only experienced it once when I was a kid in the 90s!

Yes remember it well (lived up the road from you in Upton St Leonards then) - the roads turned into sheet ice - incredible and the most dangerous driving conditions I've seen................ actually impossible!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I’m going to look away for 15 mins in the hope this changes ☹️

Posted

Great day here. Persistent snow since lunch, varying around moderate. I'll have to process/upload some pics. An occasional gust blows the snow of the roofs etc but otherwise winds have been surprisingly light this afternoon (We are somewhat sheltered from the NE)
Still enough to cause some variation in depth but a relatively level open and untouched gateway entrance suggests 12-13cm now. More in parts of the garden etc with some from the roof etc adding to it.

I was wondering earlier if the heavier echoes in the channel marked the transition to (what over land will be freezing) rain.. as dry powder snow doesn't seem to reflect that strongly (large or wet flakes may though?).. though it doesn't look like such a defined edge now so maybe not. However reports from Dorset suggest maybe it is.

Still snow here, though the flakes don't feel quite as dry/powdery.

A heavy echo has missed here slightly so can't really test that.

Also what's the intense localised lines on radar around NW Dartmoor (and now west Dorset) Could it really tie in with the local high 850's on some models due to topography affecting things above?
18030121_0112.gif18030118_0112.gif

Posted
1 minute ago, Blizzardof82 said:

Correct, that would have been January 96 if my memory is correct.

Spot on, the 1st of Jan 96. I was supposed to do the Salisbury Plain Challenge mountain bike race, it was so icy the 4x4 support vehicles couldn't get up on to the plains so it was cancelled. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
3 minutes ago, Blizzardof82 said:

Correct, that would have been January 96 if my memory is correct.

Long time back but I reckon 96 sounds about right, my last year of secondary school lol:)

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Climate_Eyes said:

Lighter snow here, but definitely snow (at present anyway).

Popped to the pub for a jar and the way the snow had blown across the flat carpark in wave-like patterns was stunning.

7.5cm's on the flat, no idea on the drifty bits but nothing major.

Also, someone endeavoured to post the local parish magazine at some point. That's dedication! :rofl:

7.5cm here too and still snowing. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Snow!!

Still - 1.7 c here on IOW 

Keeping an eye on the dew points which now up -2.5 c , the highest for a day or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Don't forget to get an accurate measure of snow fallen you have to clear a patch, then measure after what ever time span you choose. If you wait until it's stopped, then measure it won't be a true measure as the snow compacts over time and with the addition of extra on top.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
4 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

Pub?

5a98577f7f6b3_download(3).jpg.2be5b6b98878204c2a28358e89b5faa1.jpg

On my way there now by foot. lol

Posted

Currently lampost watching here. Driving snow, mixed with blowing snow. Not the heavy stuff yet - will the really heavy stuff reach here just on Northern fringe of Bristol?

Winds from a South Easterly direction so i think that indicates an eventual direction of the system to be North West as forecasted, thru SW Wales into Ireland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
6 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Village is cut off. snow plough got stuck. It is hammering it down! its half way up my back door too :rolleyes:

Excellent news!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I can hear a tapping noise on the window now so I don't think it's snow now but I'm not sure it's rain either. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.
3 minutes ago, rockhopper said:

Spot on, the 1st of Jan 96. I was supposed to do the Salisbury Plain Challenge mountain bike race, it was so icy the 4x4 support vehicles couldn't get up on to the plains so it was cancelled. 

That's right  Rovers were due to play City that day at Ashton but game was called off for crowd safety.

Edited by Blizzardof82

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Nice covering and drifts a foot deep in places

20180301_194645.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

The bright echos in the channel are almost making landfall 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
49 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Looking at the radar the more intense echoes certainly look to be further east than forecast!

We will be in the 'zone' for many many hours yet to come. The lighter persistent stuff we are currently getting will build up, however I reckon we could well be in for some much heavier snow later on. 

Drifting is already becoming apparent even with this lighter stuff, imagine where we will be if it peps up!

and with us being quite far north I don't see any chance of freezing rain or the like :) 

Its good fun, Just been wizzing around a parking lot for funzies! Gotta love the "drifting"   #mycardrifts

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
23 minutes ago, snowponies said:

They were not happy bunnies and the oldest was really freaking out due to the incredibly high winds. Will do my best to get to them in the morning. They've got tons of hay but water buckets are frozen solid :( offered some warm water but no takers. Only an inch at home, think we might of had some freezing rain since I got back as car is covered in ice! How much do you have @festivalking 

Oh bless them  - not surprised. Dam water freezing over.

Make sure you be careful if you go tomorrow, but maybe call a local farmer or someone to go with or meet you there? 

Road outside my friends (main road) with the horses is blocked with traffic including a horse box stuck with horses on it. My friend has checked and all ok, they have hay and water etc. But what a night mare - pardon the pun.

Posted
Just now, Blizzardof82 said:

That's right was supposed Rovers were due to play City that day at Ashton but game was called off for crowd safety.

Did that have anything to do with the weather though :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl
2 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I can hear a tapping noise on the window now so I don't think it's snow now but I'm not sure it's rain either. 

It's teeny tiny ice pellets. I just stuck my hand out of the window. 

• Like 1

Posted

Tapping on east facing window sounds like rain but not feeling wet when I put my arm out the window!

is the dreaded ice rain?