Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any
9 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

Hello from next door, can someone confirm if ANYTHING is falling from the sky in the Portsmouth area. Trying to resolve whether the radar is playing with us. 

Thanks in Advanced. 

Im in widely and can confirm snow is still falling quite heavy 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

powder snow here still blowing around in an increasing wind.....a level 2-3 inches with drifts 2 or 3 times that I'd reckon.......we've never had 'big' flakes at any stage, just fine flakes....plenty more to come looking at the radar, and again tomorrow

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

@tomjwlx calm there? I hope freezing rain doesn't frig my anemometer up! Lol

20180301_192825.thumb.jpg.d9fbf2fe599a19b9ee21dcd98e7548ca.jpg

Don’t have the anemometer set up at the moment want to get it on the roof at some point 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

People are getting freezing rain and ice pellets confused, freezing rain is rain until it hits a surface and freezes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
6 minutes ago, Somerset Squall said:

Has anyone got big flakes anymore? I am entering the heavier stuff on the radar and it still looks really fine and powdery. Not that I am complaining too much though. Had a really good covering here :). I'd post some pics but the uploads always fail.

Not had any big flakes at all today so far, been very small compared to the large snow flakes we had falling from the really  heavy shower that passed through here on Tuesday afternoon. 

Edited by Smartie
Spelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
4 minutes ago, Nights King said:

is this freezing rain likely to make it to somerset?

I doubt it! You’ll be fine 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers
3 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

Vantage pro 2

Excellent thanks looking to get one myself would you recommend?

Posted

Whatever happens to the snow/graupel/sleet/freezing rain combo, or any other, it's been an amazingly different weather day down here. A kaleidescope of winter weather, in spring! :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

@Nights King how’s it with you? It’s crazy here! Three foot drifts in places.. have no idea how much in level inches thiugh

• Like 1

Posted

Is it mean or has this recent spell of interesting weather brought out hundreds of "lurkers" on this thread....208 people currently WTF, a "few" more than a usual sunny day in August I must say..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
14 minutes ago, snowponies said:

They were not happy bunnies and the oldest was really freaking out due to the incredibly high winds. Will do my best to get to them in the morning. They've got tons of hay but water buckets are frozen solid :( offered some warm water but no takers. Only an inch at home, think we might of had some freezing rain since I got back as car is covered in ice! How much do you have @festivalking 

Hard to fathom as the snow is pushed around by the wind. Princetown is cut off can't get any further than dousland. Roughest night ever here 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain
1 minute ago, Andy Bown said:

This will get lost in the brilliant mayhem but my lowest ever maximum in 15 years of recording temperatures has happened today!! Minus 2.4c !

What do you think about our chances for later tonight? Great so far!! :)

Posted

Just been for a bimble to the shops so i can do a quick report on Andover,

Snowing real heavy whilst on my walk, i would say overall depth of the snow is 5cm with drifts of up to 20 to 25 cm, Its showing no signs of stopping anytime soon.

I am look forward to walking the dogs in the morning :D

snoww.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bobafet said:

Excellent thanks looking to get one myself would you recommend?

Best on the market you can buy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

Well after being very impatient all day we finally have our heavy snow. Kids have done there sledging and loved it. Stay safe everyone 

IMG_5570.JPG

IMG_5573.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winter, hot summer

So heavier precip is not far away. Will it be rain or snow.......?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
41 minutes ago, Bring Back1962-63 said:

Don't worry.  here's an update:

NW radar - screenshot at 1715                                 Live radar UK                                      Live radar France                                    Infra red satellite                                      Standard satellite

5a98375164d7a_1715radar.thumb.png.8178d8d1cd1560dbf4aeb82fd5bd3b92.png   lastsnowradar_uk.gif   lastsnowradar.gif  anim_ir_color.gif   anim_ir.gif

Surely you've got some snow now? Have you looked out of the window :D (sorry - not nice). Now, nobody should be overly concerned (just yet) about the green (wet snow/sleet/rain mix) and the blue (rain) on the NetWeather screen shot. The green is actually showing up over Exmouth now and I can assure you that we're having heavy snow and the temp is sub -4c. What we have is the less cold air (close to 0 c or just above) climbing over the dense cold surface air. Radars peer through these layers and pick up some rain or sleet at a high level and they are pretty inaccurate over sea areas anyway. Even if it is raining up there (which I doubt at this stage), we would either get freezing rain (possibly a dramatic ice storm) which would present some other serious dangers (I've posted about the 48 hour January 1940 event earlier this week on here and at length on the MOD last week which started and ended with a blizzard) it is very likely to turn back to snow again as the heaviest precipitation arrives very soon. Let's put everyone on here who, like me, lives on the south coast, on "freezing rain" watch. If the NW radar does pick up on freezing rain it should show up in a dark purple or mauve colour, The Meteoceil (France) radar shows simple snow or rain colours . Where NW has that green, Meteoceil have red or now white colours which shows very heavy snow. For those further east, see how that area coming out of north France is expanding. The extreme east of Kent, Essex , Suffolk and Norfolk should all be in line soon. Those purple, pink and even the white colours on the infra red satellite are the areas of much thicker cloud and usually contain the much heavier precipitation. When that reaches the Channel it will provide even great instability. Even if the snow turned to freezing rain, it would almost certainly turn back to extremely heavy snow. as it engages our deep cold block. Those darker colours are taking a little longer than expected to arrive - currently around Nantes and through Britanny. Perhaps another hour or so until we see the dramatic expansion of the dark red and white colours on the Meteoceil radar - it's already getting pretty dramatic out there in the Channel.

UK:              Live temps                                           GIF - last 24 hours                                     Dew Point temps                                   Wind chill temps                                        Wind direction

temp_uk.png   tempresult_grl2.gif  pointrosee_uk.png  windchill_uk.png  vent_uk.png

France:         Live temps                                           GIF - last 24 hours                                    Dew Point temps                                    Wind chill temps                                Wind direction & strength

temp.png   tempresult_eud4.gif  pointrosee.png  windchill.png  vent.png

The south-west is warming up to -3c :D  When viewing the GIF 24 hour temp changes you need to bear in mind the min/max  range. Less cold air has been making more northward progress this afternoon but there are still some sub zero temps in north-west France. The deep surface cold is still intact there (just) and it is only the warmer Channel (6c to 8c) that moderates that temp. Then in the UK we still have deep surface cold and the upper temps are not as extreme as they were last night.  The winds around Emma are interesting! West in south-west Biscay and southerly in south-west France but easterly further north and across the UK. This means that even on the south coast, the surface air is still being sourced from around Belgium (eastwards) and still mostly coming over land with little moderation from the sea - this should prevent the slightly less cold air moving in until the winds veer to a more southerly quarter. Finally the pressure - our faithful Scandi HP is still there in situ but has declined . it'll be fascinating if it can hold on and forces Emma to stop moving northwards - the ideal scenario will be for Emma to drift east and that will enhance the easterly and ensure that the cold spell is prolonged for those of us that want that. I would love some clear sunny skies after the blizzard but we may still get a thaw and a slushy mess.

GEFS 12z T+0 1300 Mar 1st 850 Temps                 Live Euro Pressure                        GIF - last 24 hours Euro Pressure    

gens-0-0-0.png    pression2_eur2.png    tempresult_rhs3.gif

STOP PRESS: THE MET O HAVE JUST EXTENDED THE AMBER WEATHER WARNING TO AS FAR AS LONDON. WHEN WILL THEY EXTEND THE RED WARNING? SURELY VERY SOON (OVERDUE IMHO).

Finally, I have near "white out" conditions now. The proper blizzards is well underway. This is the less cold air climbing over our deep surface cold. A classic undercut as in Feb '78.  Enjoy :)  David

Thank you for your informative post. I have light snow falling again     Which has left a powdering. No accumulations at present.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
25 minutes ago, kevvo said:

Sounds like someone is throwing  dry rice against my windows. Guess that's freezing rain arriving, whilst we still have Met Office forecast for heavy snow. 

No no....

freezing rain is literally that, it is when the air up above is warmer than the air at the surface ( there are different levels of 'above, but just go with it) 

this means the rain ultimately falls into really cold air ( as rain, plain and simple, not ice pellets) and then freezes instantly on contact with the ground or other surfaces because it is so cold. This results on a blanket of ice on every surface.

a very rare event!

i have only experienced it once when I was a kid in the 90s!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
3 minutes ago, khodds said:

@Nights King how’s it with you? It’s crazy here! Three foot drifts in places.. have no idea how much in level inches thiugh

Village is cut off. snow plough got stuck. It is hammering it down! its half way up my back door too :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Still coming down thick and fast here, got to pick my son up from work at 9.30 and take him home - could be interesting!

Took some pics 10 mins ago, I tried measuring the level depth on the table but could only find a clear ruler so it's not very clear - promise it says just over 13cm so far, will try and find a better tape later.

DSC01872.JPG

DSC01873.JPG

DSC01874.JPG

DSC01875.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

It’s ice pellets though 

Not necessarily ice pellets - it depends on the depth of surface cold. Here' part of the full definition.  David

Freezing rain

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Freezing rain is the name given to rain precipitation that freezes on contact on surfaces maintained at temperature below freezing by the ambient air mass. Unlike sleet, a mixture of rain and snow, ice pellets, or hail, freezing rain is made entirely of liquid droplets. The raindrops become supercooled while passing through a sub-freezing layer of air hundreds of meters above the ground, and then freeze upon impact with any surface they encounter, including the ground, trees, electrical wires, aircraft, and automobiles.[1] The resulting ice, called glaze, can accumulate to a thickness of several centimeters and cover all exposed surfaces. 

Freezing rain is often associated with the approach of a warm front, when subfreezing air (temperatures at or below freezing) is trapped in the lowest levels of the atmosphere while warm air advects in aloft.[3] This happens, for instance, when a low pressure system moves from the Mississippi River Valley toward the Appalachian Mountains and the Saint Lawrence River Valley of North America during the cold season, with a strong high pressure system sitting further east. This setup is known as cold-air damming, and is characterized by very cold and dry air at the surface within the region of high pressure. The warm air from the Gulf of Mexico is often the fuel for freezing precipitation.

Freezing rain develops when falling snow encounters a layer of warm air aloft, typically around the 800 mbar (800 hPa) level, causing the snow to melt and become rain. As the rain continues to fall, it passes through a layer of subfreezing air just above the surface and cools to a temperature below freezing (0 °C or 32 °F). If this layer of subfreezing air is sufficiently deep, the raindrops may have time to freeze into ice pellets (sleet) before reaching the ground. However, if the subfreezing layer of air at the surface is very shallow, the rain drops falling through it will not have time to freeze and they will hit the ground as supercooled rain. When these supercooled drops make contact with the ground, power lines, tree branches, aircraft, or anything else below 0 °C (32 °F), a portion of the drops instantly freezes, forming a thin film of ice, hence freezing rain.[4][5] The specific chemical process by which this occurs is called nucleation.

There are some great charts there. Here's the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezing_rain

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.

Lighter snow here, but definitely snow (at present anyway).

Popped to the pub for a jar and the way the snow had blown across the flat carpark in wave-like patterns was stunning.

7.5cm's on the flat, no idea on the drifty bits but nothing major.

Also, someone endeavoured to post the local parish magazine at some point. That's dedication! :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Blizzard in Wellington right now - just took the family out for some fun in the dark and drifts in places are approaching a foot deep. Unbelievable sight. Never seen anything like it down here. We are in the red zone... and if this keeps up then 20cm will be at the low end of the coverage by midnight. Absolutely spectacular.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

No no....

freezing rain is literally that, it is when the air up above is warmer than the air at the surface ( there are different levels of 'above, but just go with it) 

this means the rain ultimately falls into really cold air ( as rain, plain and simple, not ice pellets) and then freezes instantly on contact with the ground or other surfaces because it is so cold. This results on a blanket of ice on every surface.

a very rare event!

i have only experienced it once when I was a kid in the 90s!

Correct, that would have been January 96 if my memory is correct.

• Like 1