Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Latest forecast shows it stopping just after midnight here but further pulses developing come dawn and thru morning (imby).

Exmoor area, plus parts of West Somerset looks like an all-nighter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
2 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

Hi Chris, waiting for more intense snowfall here. Now that the Amber is extended I think the MetO might see the low fizzling out further North and East so, we might be in with a chance of deeper deposits - do you think?

Looking at the radar the more intense echoes certainly look to be further east than forecast!

We will be in the 'zone' for many many hours yet to come. The lighter persistent stuff we are currently getting will build up, however I reckon we could well be in for some much heavier snow later on. 

Drifting is already becoming apparent even with this lighter stuff, imagine where we will be if it peps up!

and with us being quite far north I don't see any chance of freezing rain or the like :) 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Christchurch storm nut said:

It's been a memorable day hear in Christchurch, the kid got to see proper snow for the first time, snow is definitely turning to sleet/rain now though!

Yep - it's turned the wrong side of snow here too. Can hear it on the window in the wind gusts. 

Posted
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

Looking at the radar the more intense echoes certainly look to be further east than forecast!

We will be in the 'zone' for many many hours yet to come. The lighter persistent stuff we are currently getting will build up, however I reckon we could well be in for some much heavier snow later on. 

Drifting is already becoming apparent even with this lighter stuff, imagine where we will be if it peps up!

and with us being quite far north I don't see any chance of freezing rain or the like :) 

We have drifts in our garden of 18” and the patio is clear where the snow is just blowing off the polished slabs. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, SNOW CRYSTAL said:

I went to Canada in 1998 6 months after a severe ice storm,  the land was devastated. Mile upon mile of trees broken in half, power pylons still down with temporary fixes, sign posts down etc, wildlife lost. Very sad.

Ice storms for me, are one weather type that scares me. I sincerely hope the snow turns directly to rain or just stays as snow. You do NOT want an ice storm! Ice driven by winds will coat every surface, no matter how small. The weight of it much greater than snow, the damage, well, large.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Latest forecast shows it stopping just after midnight here but further pulses developing come dawn and thru morning (imby).

Exmoor area, plus parts of West Somerset looks like an all-nighter

With a forecast maximum temp of -1c tomorrow, hopefully nothing much will melt before the next forecast band of snow falls later tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 3

Posted

Well I am shocked. I don't think Portsmouth (at least where I am near Portsdown Hill) is going to be far behind the rest of you tonight. We must be over 3 inches now and it's still coming thick and fast. And the radar suggests even heavier stuff is on the way!!

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Yes, agree. My road is covered now despite cars driving along it. Curbs are vanishing under the drifting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Ice pellets here, no rain.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Well I am shocked. I don't think Portsmouth (at least where I am near Portsdown Hill) is going to be far behind the rest of you tonight. We must be over 3 inches now and it's still coming thick and fast. And the radar suggests even heavier stuff is on the way!!

It's so much further east than forecast, we're also getting a right pasting here. In March.

Crazy scenes.

Posted

Sounds like someone is throwing  dry rice against my windows. Guess that's freezing rain arriving, whilst we still have Met Office forecast for heavy snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I have easily surpassed 15cm now. Amber warning was fully justified. Still snowing

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
24 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

turning to sleet here now :(

What, are you for real!

It freakin -3c outside no way you got sleet.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, kevvo said:

Sounds like someone is throwing  dry rice against my windows. Guess that's freezing rain arriving, whilst we still have Met Office forecast for heavy snow. 

As long as it is solid ice on its way down! Thats okay.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Graupel is not sleet??

Graupel. Graupel (German pronunciation: [ˈɡʁaʊpəl]; English: /ˈɡraʊpəl/), also called soft hail or snow pellets, is precipitation that forms when supercooled water droplets are collected and freeze on falling snowflakes, forming 2–5 mm (0.08–0.20 in) balls of rime. The term graupel comes from the German language.

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

98D6900A-0DD0-4835-BE90-9E13FF8F7A34.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Some incredible snow drifts round these parts, not seen anything like this whilst I've lived in Bristol. 

What I'd really like now is some big bad heavy snow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Freezing rain risk, here"s the latest radar, plus HIRLAM uppers 3am tomorrow

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Looks like there might be quite a substantial risk for Central Southern England  in early hours tomorrow

hirlamuk-16-15-0.png?01-16

This is the sort of region it might be expected in

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

What an exciting time!!!! Have to pinch myself!!  This red zone should definitely be extended further east- it was obviously issued for this heavy precip coming up from the channel, and those bright colours will hit  quite a few places further east!

• Like 1