Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I’m at 7cm, and have some 8 inch drifts!

Exactly the same here. There's now a drift which is pushing my catflap in. lol

We need a slight rise in temps to create some bigger/stickier flakes of snow.

Edited by Mapantz
CATFLAP

Posted

We have had moderate snow in Poole for the past 4 hours. A very decent covering. All surfaces entirely covered. Traffic a nightmare. Snow keeps falling. Temp of -3 and -5 dew point. Snow blowing around in strong winds. Worst snow here I think for over a decade if not more. Amazing stuff 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, Beasterly said:

Heavy snizzle right now though

Keeping a close eye on Hampshire/Surrey where some heavier bursts... Hope we can scrape that!

• Like 2

Posted

Does anyone remember a time prior to these animated radar products? We all sat refreshing the MetO rainfall 'radar' every 15 minutes (eventually 5 minutes) to see where the precip had moved to. 

Waiting for this system to show its hand - as David described above.

Posted

Really coming down now - powdery, but persistent and more and more wind blowing it around (south of Newbury, at foot of North Hants Downs 465 ft ASL)

Posted

Put this in the Scotty thread but worth a mention here for you guys.

Full moon is tomorrow (2nd.) with highest spring tides a day or so later. There could be a significant storm surge on top of large waves and high tides.

Please, please stay safe on the coast and don't do anything stupid. A large wave full of gravel and cobbles is like a cement mixer and if you get caught out or swept into the sea there is risk of serious injury or loss of life.

Have fun but be careful and take heed of police or coastguard warnings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, katemart said:

Welcome, lostinthewoods.

Where is the pumped water going? My first experience of a frozen pond was 2010 - the fountain pumped all the water out and there was only about 2 inches left by the time I found out! Just a big gap under the ice. :oops: They all survived, though - tough as old boots, my goldfish.

The water pumps into a massive vortex filter then onto 4 chambers for bio and mech filtering, i do have a cut off float switch so wont lose more than 20% of the water (around 1500 gallons) also need to keep an eye on the fish house.. but unless we have power cuts that should be fine. I have duvets ready to cover the tropical tank and reef tank......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
12 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

High risk though ?

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

You okay Mapantz? Normally that's the opposite to what you say i've found! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I have between 1cm & 2cm's here from all light snow so far.  However, something a bit more heavier looks like coming up from the South over me soon.

The heavy dusting we currently have is already causing traffic issues around the city.  Bristol simply cannot cope with snow.

• Like 1

Posted

Put this in the Scotty thread but worth a mention here for you guys.

Full moon is tomorrow (2nd.) with highest spring tides a day or so later. There could be a significant storm surge on top of large waves and high tides.

Please, please stay safe on the coast and don't do anything stupid. A large wave full of gravel and cobbles is like a cement mixer and if you get caught out or swept into the sea there is risk of serious injury or loss of life.

Have fun but be careful and take heed of police or coastguard warnings. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The main risk with surface temperatures rising close to zero is that it could involve the 850hPa temperatures climbing above zero, giving us freezing rain.  So far though it's all been snow in Exeter with 5cm and counting, so if we manage to avoid the freezing rain it could end up as one of the great South West blizzards!

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, Bring Back1962-63 said:

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/satellite.php?mode=animation-infrarouge-colorise

anim_ir_color.gif      lastsnowradar_uk.gif

A few of you are still misinterpreting these charts :)  The vast majority of our blizzard will not move up from France and Biscay - it will develop rapidly much closer to home in the Channel as the flow engages with our dense cold block and tries to under cut it but rises over it. So watch both the infra red satellite as well as the radar. In about an hour to two hours (1630 to 1730) there will some mind boggling developments.  David

EDIT:  @divadee   Definitley and the red warning area should be expanded very soon :) 

Yeah the front is acting likea primer and the precipitation will develop in the flow so to speak. Could be a very wild evening foryou guys in the SW.

I think the red warning needs to be expanded a little, and the amber warning extended decent west through to Sussex northwards.

How much snow do you think your going to get BB in that area?

Routing for you all to get a foot of snow!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Latest radar, seems to tie in quite well with HIRLAM 6z, feel confident that Oxfordshire is now in the mix:

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

hirlamuk-1-8-0.png?01-10

And while I'm on, does anyone else get annoyed by the phrase 'Beast from the East weather front' in the media - Times and BBC both guilty today!

Clarification, it's not the Beast from the East I object to, it's the weather front part! I'd not a weather front, it's the result of a particular synoptic pattern.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Moderate snow on the far East of the system here in Littlehampton!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've noticed the winds aren't increasing as much as forecast. Perhaps there's a delay? It's windy, but only gusting to around 17mph, with speeds of 10mph. Not speeds of 20mph and gusts of 40 according to current forecasts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
21 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I’m at 7cm, and have some 8 inch drifts!

my canvas has been child ruined lol but they loved it.

ps just had the “I told you so” chat with Dad ?? #smug 

the good news mate is that given the amount of snow incoming, you'll soon have a brand new canvas!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, AWD said:

I have between 1cm & 2cm's here from all light snow so far.  However, something a bit more heavier looks like coming up from the South over me soon.

The heavy dusting we currently have is already causing traffic issues around the city.  Bristol simply cannot cope with snow.

I've got 6" of snow here, could always do with a bit more if you guys aren't tough enough to handle it :cold-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and stormy, cold and icy!
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Latest radar, seems to tie in quite well with HIRLAM 6z, feel confident that Oxfordshire is now in the mix:

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

hirlamuk-1-8-0.png?01-10

And while I'm in, does anyone else get annoyed by the phrase 'Beast from the East weather front' in the media - Times and BBC both guilty today!

That term has been around for ever. I certainly remember it used in February 1994 when we had a Scandi block and easterly for a few days then (interestingly back then the weather also broke from the south from memory). For me it’s no different to how Americans describe a Nor’Easterly or whatever it is. Granted it does sound more tabloid like however! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, ajpoolshark said:

the good news mate is that given the amount of snow incoming, you'll soon have a brand new canvas!

Already you wouldn’t know they’ve been out there really, I can’t quite believe what I’m whitnissing!! Best snow day of my life for sure. Usually I’ve been asleep when this happens!! I’m absolutely chuffed to bits!!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!
6 minutes ago, lostinthewoods said:

The water pumps into a massive vortex filter then onto 4 chambers for bio and mech filtering, i do have a cut off float switch so wont lose more than 20% of the water (around 1500 gallons) also need to keep an eye on the fish house.. but unless we have power cuts that should be fine. I have duvets ready to cover the tropical tank and reef tank......

Your koi have their own house?! Lucky things :D  Sounds like a very professional set-up. I never knew when somebody offered to bring me a bucket of pond water to "start it off" that those tiddlers would end up costing me more than a dog and three cats put together lol!

Right we have incoming and my daughter is going to the Common to meet some friends so I am going to walk as far as the park with her. I may not be gone very long at all!

Posted

I wouldn't describe what we've had so far as anything other than light. The snizzle looks worse blowing around, but it's talcum stuff and no real intensity here yet. Grass and kerbs are covered. It's blowing straight off cars and flat roofs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
2 minutes ago, frogesque said:

I've got 6" of snow here, could always do with a bit more if you guys aren't tough enough to handle it :cold-emoji:

We have to do metric down here as well - 15cm sounds loads! Maybe you’re right about not tough enough - seems half the people on this thread are needing drinks asap... 

Me included.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

I love how quiet the roads round here are, looks like most people actually heeded the warnings and stayed at home. Pretty much a whiteout now and the proper heavy stuff hasn't even arrived yet!

• Like 1