Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
11 minutes ago, jethro said:

I've been on here for years now and think I can honestly say, I've never before seen 178 people listed as viewing this thread. Another record falls on this first day of spring.

I’m just a visitor as I have family in Bridport. Work place closed, children in the snow as we speak as it’s their first experience ❄️☃️❄️ Great end to winter for them!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Finally got the boy home safely now to enjoy the snow with him!!

still not to heavy but starting to get a covering.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, kernowman said:

More like years and decades down in the far south west.

Sorry, wasn't that clear in my post! I meant we spend weeks chasing cold, and looking for the perfect setups, agonising over the smallest detail....and watch it drift away. But we have it now, in the bag!

Posted
1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Just opened a bottle of cider the snow party has started! :rofl:

Panic purchased cider last night - Can run out of everything else but Cider would be a disaster, also have emergency Calvados in case things get serious.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Bring Back1962-63 said:

It has just turned into "heavy" snow now and the temp has dropped further to -5c. Just watch the area of pink, red and then "white" (really heavy snow) advancing on the radar. It is rapidly expanding in the Channel and this is still before the really severe stuff hits around 5 pm+. I think the "red warning" area will be vastly expanded any minute now. Do not worry about the green (rain) that's in the western Channel and over the less cold sea.  Those purple and even white areas in the infra red image are the thickest cloud and almost certainly the heaviest precipitation. It is that which will reach us around 1600 to 1700. Then watch the reds on the radar change to white and expand rapidly. I've lived through 8 proper blizzards since Dec 1962 and was snowed in for 5 my days in Feb 1978 at my parents' hotel halfway up Dartmoor (they owned the Edgemoor Hotel from 1976 to 1987) when we had over 2 foot of level snow and 20 to 30 foot drifts. This event has all the makings of the '78 one. :) 

lastsnowradar_uk.gif     anim_ir_color.gif     temp_uk.png

Note that apart from higher ground in the far north of England and Scotland, we now have the lowest surface temps. I think that several spots in north Devon will not rise above -6c today. It will be amazing to think that the SW of England will smash the previous lowest maximum March temp record. The previous March record for the UK of -4.6 c was on 2nd March 2001 (at Cassley in Sutherland) with a max temp of -4.6 c. 

More soon + pics :)   David

I won't be the first to say thanks, but thank you nevertheless!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Looks better for those of us East of that red warning zone - precip over N France does look like its spreading more east to me on the radar, and moving less NW than some predictions (BBC forecast I saw this morning). Is it doing that because the low is struggling against the cold? Hope so, better for keeping the cold I guess. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Is anyone in North Devon? How is it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

It's gone from nice to proper. Which means I can't see any grass:D

• Like 3

Posted

Anyone got any good webcams for Devon/Cornwall? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
15 minutes ago, fromey said:

"Hello, wifey?......I'm so sorry dearest but my boss has asked me to work overtime which night involve an overnight stay.....and the phone signal is not very goo.......*click* "

5a98142e67dd0_download(2).thumb.jpg.22989a0114640763e8314df02436695e.jpg

Posted

Very Alien this snow. So Alpine, it doesn't belong in my road.. but its here and keeps coming from the sky. It looks as powdery as talc.

Edited by EllyTech
correcting the autocorrect
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, swebby said:

Panic purchased cider last night - Can run out of everything else but Cider would be a disaster, also have emergency Calvados in case things get serious.

We got the cider and beer too, scotch, irish cream liquer, brandy and a few crisps for the kids .. just in case of course:yahoo:

-2.5 and about 1 inch wild little flakes ... so far

• Like 3

Posted

Now back in Weymouth and looking out the window in amazement. After apparently non stop snow here since mid morning, a combination of the wind and the small, ridiculously dry almost dust like flakes means the garden is far from being covered. Never seen snow like that here. To be fair, I’ve hardly had many occasions of seeing snow here full stop!

Going to be watching that intense channel PPN that a hawk. I don’t want to jinx it, but I will. Looks like it may have Dorset’s name on it. There, now I’ve gone and done it!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

How are the flake size further south, because currently in Bristol it's still the same dandruff rubbish!

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

You're a legend mate, thanks again.

Agreed. Bring Back - SW legend!

Posted
9 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Sorry, wasn't that clear in my post! I meant we spend weeks chasing cold, and looking for the perfect setups, agonising over the smallest detail....and watch it drift away. But we have it now, in the bag!

Yeah lol I was just going to post the same thing and now its here everyone wants bigger flakes and huge snow drifts when last week we would have been well happy with what we have so far.  Not being greedy are we?

Posted
Just now, Ben Sainsbury said:

How are the flake size further south, because currently in Bristol it's still the same dandruff rubbish!

V persistent, powdery snow up here in Stoke Gifford - laying a nice base:D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Afternoon all. Had to drive some of the family around this morning as I'm the only one with a 4x4, great to finally use it for it was intended!

Had light snow here most of the day and bitter windchill. Temp hovering around -3c. Certainly everything is getting a covering, but its difficult to tell how much with it blowing around all over the place!

Currently watching the radar with all that snow heading our way, glad virtually all of us are getting in on the action!

Love that update from David ( @Bring Back1962-63) - great to see the area of precipitation expanding as it moves up towards us.

I'm still hopeful the HIRLAM output is more correct than the ARPEGE as it expands the snow eastwards whilst keeping all of our area with all snow.

Here's the 1900 predictions from this mornings run:

hirlam-1-12-0.png?01-10      arpege-1-12-0.png?01-11

You can see the eastern extent is quite a bit further over on the HIRLAM which is what it would be great to see before it wheels around to the NW.

Judging by the current radar, it looks to be going that way:

image.thumb.png.de84f9c85989b24711450f76b28fbd59.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.

Went for a wander, as the snizzle turned to proper snow. There wasn't much around, maybe a centimetre or two, but whole patches of ground were bare where the snow had been blown away. The wind was incredible, even for here. My footprints had been completely filled in on my return journey.

It's now coming down steadily, moderate to heavy and I'm in the warm with half an eye on the drinks cabinet.. Bring it on! :yahoo:

P. S nice work IOW'ers!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bring Back1962-63 said:

How about a short one from me :D 

I must write these reports more often, every time I try and focus it starts snowing - only 2 cm but it's starting to accumulate (-4.5c) .  I want to enjoy this and I'll be out in it shortly when I venture to the Post Office.

WARNING: Part 4 of my long report will be postponed until tomorrow due to adverse weather conditions. I'll just contribute with a few pics and short updates and comments.  David

1200                                                          1330

5a98028f96471_Snow1.thumb.jpg.017cfdb5f8132bbc303e559504607f08.jpg  5a9802aede0e5_Snow21330.thumb.jpg.6859645eadc86b7033131d71b7ffc873.jpg

5a9816d2681e2_snow3_1430.thumb.jpg.5514806454d927216800fb70bf84a0a3.jpg                EDIT - ooops wrong pic. Corrected now!  I  live on a hill and I declare myself snowed it :D 

At least 6 cm in the last hour and around 8 cm overall. My road is filled to the curbs and is starting to drift badly. I get out there later and take a pic of the biggest drifts. Dropped to belwo 04c now amazing stuff. All this before the real blizzard starts, although this is not far off it anyway. Don't worry, for everyone in :)  southern England and south Wales it's coming your way 

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
13 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

I won't be the first to say thanks, but thank you nevertheless!

Hi mate

are those radars available on meteociel ?