Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Heavier still now. :yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Ok. Bristol and just North of Bristol - what time is maximum impact going to be? Anyone got an idea?

7-10pm I recon

Edit: Just a guess following the radar.

Edited by MidnightSnow
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

BBC News reporter in RED warning Zone Wales recons they are expecting 20cm snow drifts. :rofl:  Anyone reporting on weather needs to study with the MetO for a month or two mandatory. 

Got about that now in drifts here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

To put it under context as well for snow amounts per hour under the dark orange/red, the rain to snow ratio is approximately 1:15 therefore 12mm/hr of rain for example is equivalent to 300mm/hr of snow = 30cm/hr of snow. 

Even the light greens of 3mm/hr = 45mm/hr of snow = 4.5cm/hr of snow so to only be witnessing the areas of green intensity can still dump 15-20cm in just 4 hours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Pretty heavy in Southampton as well, just need the snowflakes to increase further in size :D

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Mark Neal. said:

Hi Jamie. I would say we are right on the far NE, some models show it making it this far but we on lighter and right on boundary, personally somewhere 20 miles SW of here could see few cm's while here a dusting.covering. 

Looking at the radar again it looks as if the precipitation is strengthening on the eastern side? Is that going to swing round west though suddenly? Perhaps we may get lucky after all? It’s snowing quite nicely here blowing in a keen breeze!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

All eyes on that heavy blob of snow just existing France as Steve murr alluded to that will deliver an insane amount of snow.

Edit I think it' making a beeline to Dorset purbeck and poole

Edited by festivalking
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Posted
1 hour ago, TropicThunder said:

I'm too young to remember that winter, but have heard about it from my parents.  They appeared on the TV show Mr and Mrs and had to go all the way up to Carlisle to film it. It was largely snowless there but when they got back to Hampshire on the train it was a whiteout and more snow days followed after. Hoping for similar the next few days!

I was living in a cold bedsit in Portswood in January 1987. The pipes were frozen and there was no central heating. After a maximum of -5 it went down to -10 that night with a serious wind chill. I put on two scarves and two jackets and spent the evening in the pub :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of Snow

Snowing heavy now in ashburton , devon.

IMG_20180301_142147.jpg

Edited by gaztig
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Ok. Bristol and just North of Bristol - what time is maximum impact going to be? Anyone got an idea?

Heard of the Frog boiling in water? 

It is snowing and will not stop for hours on end. In the next few hours there will be higher winds and heavier bursts of snow. The snow will drift and visibility will reduce. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Bring Back1962-63 said:

How about a short one from me :D 

I must write these reports more often, every time I try and focus it starts snowing - only 2 cm but it's starting to accumulate (-4.5c) .  I want to enjoy this and I'll be out in it shortly when I venture to the Post Office.

WARNING: Part 4 of my long report will be postponed until tomorrow due to adverse weather conditions. I'll just contribute with a few pics and short updates and comments.  David

1200                                                          1330

5a98028f96471_Snow1.thumb.jpg.017cfdb5f8132bbc303e559504607f08.jpg  5a9802aede0e5_Snow21330.thumb.jpg.6859645eadc86b7033131d71b7ffc873.jpg

Enjoy your snow David, you deserve it ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I genuinely went in to the shed this morning to fetch a shovel.. the snow has drifted to around 6" against the East-facing back door. I may need that shovel at some point!

^ It sounds so ridiculous typing that lol

• Like 2

Posted

Snow picking up here after very light falls for most of the day. Currently still fairly light, but covering everything now.

Amazingly hasn't got above -3c all day today, a new record for my station.

Currently -3.2c DP -9c. Feels like -11c in the strong East wind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl
7 minutes ago, festivalking said:

All eyes on that heavy blob of snow just existing France as Steve murr alluded to that will deliver an insane amount of snow.

Edit I think it' making a beeline to Dorset purbeck and poole

And just a nudge over to Bournemouth I hope!!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow

Surprised MetO haven't extended the red warning, even just to cover themselves. Either confident of the track or will issue one soon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I've been on here for years now and think I can honestly say, I've never before seen 178 people listed as viewing this thread. Another record falls on this first day of spring.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

-3.1c & DP -6.1c

got up to -2.8C briefly but temp dropping last half an hour or so. 

Absolutely incredible stuff!

Posted

Nice to find such a good community,

Snowing Well in Andover.

Around 2 inches since Yesterday and some small little drifts. Just been out in the garden to check on my koi pond its well frozen over,but all the pumps and filters are still working but have to check on them every hour or so.. In all the years of having my pond it has never frozen like this before!!

Now off to walk the dogs before it all gets to bad outside..... 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, MidnightSnow said:

Surprised MetO haven't extended the red warning, even just to cover themselves. Either confident of the track or will issue one soon.

Agreed. I mean, frankly, this is the most serious and severe setup I can remember since 1978/9. Admittedly I was in Africa for the 1987 (or whenever) event. But how often do we get this? Once a decade, if that. There are life-threatening conditions out there without a shadow of doubt and people shouldn't be heading out unless vital.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Isleofwightsnowgal74 said:

Can finally confirm big proper flakes in Shanklin iow woohoo :yahoo:sorry for doubting it ??

So happy for you IOW gal lol  This is special for me today as its my birthday Brilliant present.

• Like 2