Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
3 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

it's disrupting which is good news and will increase moisture advection northwards and eastwards increasing snowfall risk for central/southern & SE England....The ECM modelled this last night

That's what I was hoping. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl
2 minutes ago, That ECM said:

When checking met website put in heingstbury head as opposed to Southbourne beach as the first has 3/4 hours heavy snow where as the other has light snow. To be fair they are about 1/4 of a mile apart??

I am surprised at the difference betwen here and poole but that's ridiculous for Hengistbury and southbourne. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & lots of it.

Give it a couple of hours I'll be off out....."I might be sometime". Can't remember for the life of me...didn't someone famous say that?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Karl83 said:

I'll stay at work then in that case 

It's a fast developing situ Karl. AJ seems to think it'll be more widespread across all of this thread's areas.

Beaufort 3.30 for a few bevvies

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Fabulous. Yes it is a worry I think not being able to get to them. Yes we were surprised the other morning when it went into the double minuses just how toasty they were - almost too warm. Think their natural body regulating temp thing is kicking in. Amazing really. Good luck and keep me posted! Us equines need to look out for each other :).. PS West Dartmoor where abouts are you - I have a horse friend in West Dartmoor too with a huuuge 4 x 4

You need someone with a 4wd tractor if you can find a friendly farmer, I suspect that if they have livestock they will be dealing with their own problems mind!! It won't be the depth of snow but the drifting that will be the problem with a normal 4x4 where a decent tractor will just plough straight through, got one sat in the drive with snow plough on the front but alas a tad far away me thinks!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Going to Boom Boom shake the room soon!!!!

20E3E648-55D6-41F4-9613-1E6C2E25BF3A.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

This snow is just like we had back in '78.  It started steadily with heavy powdery snow blowing around and then just carried on snowing.  Lets hope we get as much as we did then.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I don’t think I can ever remember seeing -3°C at lunchtime let alone in March. 

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Sleighbelle said:

Absolutely put them up again! Mine’s in the garden still with needles too...you’ve given me an idea ? have to find the lights that have been packed away though. Anyone here from Bridport? Grandson wondering when/if their weather will kick in.

Ooh this might be start a new trend for snow days. :D Get your decks back up!

• Like 1

Posted

Green comment deleted - my mistake, I didn't have weather type on. Soz.

Edited by Steve Caiels
  • Like 1

Posted

Been light to moderate snow here in Piddlehinton for the best part of an hour, just starting to pep up..

I have never seen such wispy powdery snow outside the Alps in my life. Incredible. Absolutely incredible

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
3 minutes ago, MrNooo said:

You need someone with a 4wd tractor if you can find a friendly farmer, I suspect that if they have livestock they will be dealing with their own problems mind!! It won't be the depth of snow but the drifting that will be the problem with a normal 4x4 where a decent tractor will just plough straight through, got one sat in the drive with snow plough on the front but alas a tad far away me thinks!!

Think you will be very in demand MrNoo later  - your neighbours must love you! Snow Plough tractor... :yahoo: respect.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

I just can't quite see how we're (Bristol area) are going to get 10-20cm, we had 4 hours of moderate snow earlier and amounted only 2cm.

Just don't see it happening, hope I'm wrong and we also get half a metre!

Posted
6 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Fabulous. Yes it is a worry I think not being able to get to them. Yes we were surprised the other morning when it went into the double minuses just how toasty they were - almost too warm. Think their natural body regulating temp thing is kicking in. Amazing really. Good luck and keep me posted! Us equines need to look out for each other :).. PS West Dartmoor where abouts are you - I have a horse friend in West Dartmoor too with a huuuge 4 x 4

Us horsey lot are hardcore ? couldn't break their outside buckets this morning and had to use a rock to break them, then pick out the ice with my hands, brutal!! My girls are just outside lydford near the firing ranges and clients horses are between Bridestowe and sourton.

They do regulate their temperatures so well which is why I haven't rugged the two oldies, even the clipped one got too hot in a 300g so she's in 100g at the moment.  Would you still be able to get to yours? 

• Like 1

Posted

I was marooned in Devon (Hemyock) in February 1978. It snowed for 40 hours non-stop with an easterly gale. 20ft-30ft drifts. over 2ft level snow (but it could not be measured due to drifts).  Said to be the worst blizzard of the 20th century for Devon (surpassed by 1891). All roads in Devon were said to be closed. M5 was empty. Princetown cut off for a week. And that was followed within 2 days of its ending with a rapid thaw. 

Let's hope this one is not as bad.

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, matt111 said:

I don’t think I can ever remember seeing -3°C at lunchtime let alone in March. 

My sensor shows -3.7C

1 minute ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

I just can't quite see how we're (Bristol area) are going to get 10-20cm, we had 4 hours of moderate snow earlier and amounted only 2cm.

Just don't see it happening, hope I'm wrong and we also get half a metre!

The disbelief comes from not having an historic reference to such a phenomenon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 minute ago, Dormouse said:

Fubaruk, Scott of the Antarctic I think!?

Captiain Oates actually, knew he was holding back Scotts team so sacrificed himself to help them survive.

They didnt