Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowponies said:

Bit concerned now, have gone home and cancelled my jobs on the moors as that wind is unbearable! I live in the orange zone but my horses and a client's horses all live in the red zone! How good is a Toyota rav4 in heavy snow?? 

As good as the tires, traction and level exhaust pipe above the snow. Don't risk it. Perhaps seek further advise about the horses. You'd need something substantial to get out to them in a raging blizzard. Do they have shelter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow/thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Isleofwightsnowgal74 said:

Well done all you getting snow can’t lie pretty gutted we miss out again but deep down expected it! Downgraded continuously and pushed bk for us on met office and the most pathetic tiny flakes cmg down right now ? roll on next winter ....

It's only mid-day. Plenty of time yet.

Not expecting huge amounts though.

• Like 1

Posted

Bread bought, milk bought, home from work with radar being closely watched and it looks promising so now just sit and look out of the window. Enjoy the event everyone it should be quite a memorable one.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The powdery snow is blowing around like crazy, and it's only gusting to 20mph. I can't wait for 45mph gusts later on. grin.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, iowpompeylee said:

There seems to be a lot of green in that can’t coming this way! I do hope it’s going to be gunned down by the cold air! Or we are screwed! 

593C3079-DB83-46A2-977B-C46F4BDB5EE1.png

4 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

A tad worrying that in a space of watching this rader it's slowly turning sleet/rain in the channel?

Screenshot_20180301-121417.jpg

This is dictated by model runs, not what is actually falling. Don’t worry! 

The precipitation is correct, but type is data fed from model run that loaded it.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
15 minutes ago, Rapodo said:

As expected big downgrade on met office app for Poole oh well. 

Interesting... did you know about the window application for checking the weather? Most houses have them but it does require looking up and away from the screen and out through the window application?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
2 minutes ago, iowpompeylee said:

There seems to be a lot of green in that can’t coming this way! I do hope it’s going to be gunned down by the cold air! Or we are screwed! 

593C3079-DB83-46A2-977B-C46F4BDB5EE1.png

That's because its falling on the surface of the sea and temperatures there are much warmer, don't worry :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow

When I look at this satellite image, it looks like the bulk of it is heading NE.

anim_ir_color.gif

But if you look at the radar it looks like it's already swivelling west?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
2 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

A tad worrying that in a space of watching this rader it's slowly turning sleet/rain in the channel?

The cold air is not able to entrench itself over the sea in the same way that it can over the land. 

It will hit the deep surface cold and fall entirely as snow even very near the coast until at least nightfall, or at least that's the expectation...

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Isleofwightsnowgal74 said:

Well done all you getting snow can’t lie pretty gutted we miss out again but deep down expected it! Downgraded continuously and pushed bk for us on met office and the most pathetic tiny flakes cmg down right now ? roll on next winter ....

I think your are being a bit premature, the main event hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers
5 minutes ago, Isleofwightsnowgal74 said:

Don't be too down yet, we will be getting some more prolonged and heavier Snow.  If you look at the netweather V7 radar (Only extra subscribers can view though) it is looking very promising - the main event is not due to start for us until around 5-6 pm so don't be too down heartened!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

All we have had all morning is snizzle.  I'm hoping it peps up later on this afternoon. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
1 minute ago, MidnightSnow said:

When I look at this satellite image, it looks like the bulk of it is heading NE.

anim_ir_color.gif

But if you look at the radar it looks like it's already swivelling west?

Upper moisture is heading NE but the low has closed off now so down below we see rotation. 

Essentially we're seeing moisture added to the situation aloft at an ever-greater distance from the low pressure centre. 

Just how far NE this addition process reaches has been subject to huge uncertainty. Currently it seems to be trying to go a bit further than the morning's model consensus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

That first lump of green looks to be heading towards me,. If it stays green overland, Ill let you know what is *actually* falling :) Very light snow here in Wembury at the moment.  It is definitely new snow and not just blowing around now.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Dilemma time.....just been out to the workshop to stock up on logs and realised the two front doorside Christmas trees are still there, still with their needles. Now....do I get them out, deck them with lights and pretend big time when they're covered in snow? Would it be a step too far if I hauled the huge Nordman up the garden and put it up in the sitting room? Still hasn't dropped any needles.....would hubby think I'd totally lost the plot when he got home? Do I care?

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

As good as the tires, traction and level exhaust pipe above the snow. Don't risk it. Perhaps seek further advise about the horses. You'd need something substantial to get out to them in a raging blizzard. Do they have shelter?

Thankfully they are in a large barn with option to go out too so if the roof comes down they can get out. It's sheltered from the wind too. Clients horses I have left stabled. Got a neighbour's number just in case! Will go at 2.30pm but if it gets bad will turn back home. Good thing I topped all my horses haynets up so fingers crossed they'll be ok! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!
42 minutes ago, Isleofwightsnowgal74 said:

It’s snowing but tiny flakes ? hope it gets better than this! 

Same here - snow grains/graupel? I'm sure it will pep up for us.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, snowponies said:

Bit concerned now, have gone home and cancelled my jobs on the moors as that wind is unbearable! I live in the orange zone but my horses and a client's horses all live in the red zone! How good is a Toyota rav4 in heavy snow?? 

As long as they have plenty of hay, water (put a tennis ball in to help stop the freezing over) and shelter/rugged up they should be ok. Think sometimes we worry more than we need to. Ours were well toasty the other night with the 450g rugs on. Don't know about the Toyota Rav 4...is there anyone else nearby to go do the checks?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
24 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Latest radar predict seems to show it just veering NW towards Ireland past midnight. I think Bristol area could be the very NE extent going by that radar pic i saw just now. Rest of SW into Somerset, Devon, parts of Cornwall will get 'smashed'!

hi-res modelling has snow risk extending much further east than that!

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowponies said:

Thankfully they are in a large barn with option to go out too so if the roof comes down they can get out. It's sheltered from the wind too. Clients horses I have left stabled. Got a neighbour's number just in case! Will go at 2.30pm but if it gets bad will turn back home. Good thing I topped all my horses haynets up so fingers crossed they'll be ok! 

If you go back shove a load more hay on the floor, we did on ours... Be safe going back and give the neddies a carrot from me :friends:

Edited by Polar Bear
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, jethro said:

Dilemma time.....just been out to the workshop to stock up on logs and realised the two front doorside Christmas trees are still there, still with their needles. Now....do I get them out, deck them with lights and pretend big time when they're covered in snow? Would it be a step too far if I hauled the huge Nordman up the garden and put it up in the sitting room? Still hasn't dropped any needles.....would hubby think I'd totally lost the plot when he got home? Do I care?

Absolutely put them up again! Mine’s in the garden still with needles too...you’ve given me an idea ? have to find the lights that have been packed away though. Anyone here from Bridport? Grandson wondering when/if their weather will kick in.

• Like 2