Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Really pleased that it looks like some of you SW of here are going to break the snow shackles, cruel luck in recent years, we won't get anywhere near as much as you guys, but for once i am not bitter, pleased for you patient folk! Now go get 20-30cm ;) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Light to moderate snow grains blowing sideways in the wind, now. every little helps!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: really cold or really hot ! extremes

portlander here , light snow has arrived ?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I think you're due for a covering tonight but gone tomorrow morning? On the north side at very least?

South Cornwall?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
1 minute ago, Rapodo said:

Poole now got snow steaily getting heavier 

That's a relief. Rang the in-laws yesterday, told them to go to the shops pronto and stock up, they were very sceptical and thought I was exaggerating. They're both 80, think they're still 40 and having lived in the Cotswolds until 15 years ago, seen it all when it comes to snow. Hope they're in the warm with a full pantry, don't want a fractured hip duo on their way to Asda now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
2 hours ago, Bring Back1962-63 said:

EARLY MORNING REVIEW

Good morning and welcome to "Spring" everyone :)  This is an "interim update".  

The big day is here. I've had my first settling snow since moving down here permanently 3 years ago. Here's a very modest pic. Many who missed out completely so far should have had a little overnight and right now.

From Inside   0700                                                   0705           

5a97ad1de266c_Snow1.thumb.jpg.ca9635e1d8df5de5d4ded6ed95a56f6b.jpg      5a97ad2d71709_1.3rad1.thumb.png.fafe7d62ea84348bf8c5d8a71cd094da.png  

Before I starting writing part 3 of my report (see part 1 on page 170 and part 2 on page 184 for loads of live charts) I will do a quick round up of current conditions and overnight developments. Most of these charts are at fixed times so that comparisons can be done later in the day but I'll start with the live radar and satellite ones for reference..

lastsnowradar_uk.gif    lastsnowradar.gif   anim_ir.gif  anim_ir_color.gif

Before a few of you start panicking, this snow is NOT the main event which "should" develop later this afternoon and into this evening (as forecast yesterday) and we have our own "red" warning from 1500 today. There have been a few misleading local forecasts which seem to have suggested that this is the main event now and push it all through at breakneck speed (wrong!). The Met O seem to have a better handle on this and the BBC may well start to regret dropping their service. The red warning (and the previous amber warning) are totally at odds with the local BBC forecast.

0000 GMT                                                       0600 GMT                                            0100 GMT                                                      0500 GMT

s1803010000.png    s1803010600.png   s1803010200_uk.png   s1803010600_uk.png

The snow that pushed eastwards and then northwards into France yesterday was quite well ahead of storm Emma. That initial band of snow over France has weakened and dispersed. The "all France" radar does not show the Channel snow properly. What happened was that the leading bands of snow from France moved across the Channel in the small hours and engaged with the remains of the streamer. This has introduced some additional moisture and the band has expanded and "may" become self sustaining and bridge the gap to the main event later today or we may get a lull as it pushes northwards. So look at it as an appertizer before things really wind up later on :) 

0800 Round Up: 

France:     Surface Temps                                          Dew Points                                                Windchill                                                         Wind

temp-07.png   pointrosee-08.png   windchill-07.png  vent-08.png

UK:          Surface Temps                                            Dew Points                                                Windchill                                                        Wind

temp_uk.png   pointrosee_uk-06.png   windchill_uk-06.png  vent_uk-08.png

Euro:          Surface Temps                                            Dew Points                                              Windchill                                                      Wind

temp_eur2-06.png   pointrosee_eur2-06.png   windchill_eur2-06.png  vent_eur2-08.png

Wind Chart Explanations:
This maps show the average wind in real time recorded by weather stations in France and neighboring countries. The red arrows represent the direction of the wind of the stations, and the white arrows (only on the all France chart) represent the direction of the wind calculated at any point of the map according to that of the stations. The colour represents the average strength of the wind. These are the most recent observations of the present time and not forecasts. 

Pressure:         0050 GMT                                             24 hours to  GIF                                              Live                                       Fronts & Troughs 0700 Mar 1st                    Met O Fax for 0600 Mar 1st    

pression2_eur2-06.png   tempresult_jkm2.gif   pression2_eur2.png   analyse-2018-03-01-06.png   20180301.0725.PPVA89.png

Brief comments:

The milder air has made very little northward progress in France during the last 12 hours and the area of southerly winds is still confined to the south west of Biscay. The deep cold over us is still in place and today will see some March lowest max temp records broken.The Scandi HP has only declined slightly and remains in situ (for now), maintaining the block, holding off the northward progress of the LP. The flow has veered slightly more towards the east-south-east overnight with east-south-easterly to easterly winds continuing and strengthening. The Met O fax shows the "ghost" warm front ahead of the other fronts. This is only upper level less cold air climbing well over the surface cold - I discussed this in previous posts and will pick up on it in part 3 of my main report later this morning. Prepare to be snowed in :D   David

@*Stormforce~beka*  here's an update on what this morning was all about and what is to come..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, kevvo said:

Just started again in Wool.

Fine snow falling steadily here too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Light to moderate snow grains blowing sideways in the wind, now. every little helps!

Yes, dandruff blizzard here lol, although few bigger flakes beginning to mix in ?

• Like 4

Posted

My Hampshire no Snow Triangle has just had a visit from Trading Standards,i successfully argued that I would only remove the avatar if snow was seen in daylight hours,so far....it hasn't lol

Posted

Complete white-out towards the SE of me, Purbeck hills gone. Even the  church (around 400m as the crow flies) is almost out of view.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Didn't METO say midday to arrive on our shores? 10 mins to spare they were slightly out! ...... :rofl: ...just kidding  - bang on right METO :friends:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.
8 minutes ago, Jemma Croton said:

8B26D7A6-8378-4910-ABD2-1DF2206F98C7.jpeg

C02E93DD-3F6A-4D7C-929F-B57EAFB5394A.jpeg

Jemma, I am awarding your dog cutest snow poser! That fluff though! :air_kiss:

Sky to my SW has got a bit darker. Maybe a tad too far east.

Edited by Climate_Eyes

Posted

Watching the snow swirl off of the shed roof in the  wind is amazing! The wind isn't even up to max strength yet!

• Like 1

Posted

Salcombe now beginning to have more intense snow and wind. Really picked up in the last 20min. Much worse to come, thankfully we are all safely at home!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 24 degrees clear skies in summer, -24 degrees clear skies in winter
7 minutes ago, radiohead said:

Wow! Some extremely heavy precipitation showing over Brittany now. 

lastradar_no_wpy1.gif

Absolutely! low visibility, high winds, towering cumulus and snow... plenty of...

Brest Metar: 

LFRB 011130Z AUTO 05016KT 1800 1400 R25/P2000 R07/1500U SN BR OVC007/// ///TCU M01/M02 Q0987 TEMPO 1200 SN OVC006 BECMG 06015G25KT

Posted

Think hear in north devon looking at radar will prob get  side swiped. Sky is getting brighter temps have gone from -2 to 0.2 now. Its more the freezing winds that is a prob. Hubby being sent home from work at south molton think they gunner feel silly. But for the rest of the south west wow its going to be awsome enjoy ❄❄❄❄❄❄

Posted
10 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Had to be poor cornwall :(

But historically, people  have moved there precisely because of their mild winters. Everyone grows Yukkas there for goodness sake! :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Really starting to get closer now!!

12CDBB6C-61E6-41AE-A1FA-CB85D57A66EF.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

@*Stormforce~beka*  here's an update on what this morning was all about and what is to come..

Ah perfect I love these posts.Thankyou.

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluekipper said:

Absolutely! low visibility, high winds, towering cumulus and snow... plenty of...

Brest Metar: 

LFRB 011130Z AUTO 05016KT 1800 1400 R25/P2000 R07/1500U SN BR OVC007/// ///TCU M01/M02 Q0987 TEMPO 1200 SN OVC006 BECMG 06015G25KT

Marvellous. Carry on. :pardon: