Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
45 minutes ago, AWD said:

And so it begins......

A lot earlier than expected.

What you are getting now is, 'nothing'. 

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Certain kind of fool said:

ours did too! the condensation pipe had frozen up (we didn't lag it, being in tropical Bournemouth). I had to use a combination of a hairdryer (leaning out the bedroom window) and hot kettle to the ice in the pipes. Seems to be working now....

update, it appears it was exactly the same thing here, pipe had frozen, the like of which we have never seen before!! Heating back on. Can sit back and enjoy some radar watching.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: coldy
8 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

A5A3797D-D87B-43F1-A825-ED09573F0DC5.jpeg

A couple more CM and you could practice going for gold in the bobsleigh!

Edited by billyc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
30 minutes ago, Bring Back1962-63 said:

EARLY MORNING REVIEW

Good morning and welcome to "Spring" everyone :)  This is an "interim update".  

Your posts are always a fantastic read mate, keep up the good work :).

I'm hoping I catch the eastern edge of the heavier precipitation later on this evening here in Southampton. Fingers crossed!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and stormy, cold and icy!

Hi all. Heading up to London this morning by train from Winchester. Any advice on the latest details and whether I should return eg say lunchtime rather than later afternoon say 4-5pm?

Thanks in advance.

Posted
5 minutes ago, mozzer84 said:

Question,  do we think that the main band is going to still affect southern coastal towns and what time? Wondering if I should leave work early to get home?

Got the same issue. Just do the opposite of what I do and you'll be fine.

Expecting to have to leave work here in Mid Dorset to head back to Weymouth around lunchtime(ish). Will see how long my nerve holds out :D

Just keep firm tabs on the radar

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winter, hot summer
8 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Light snow will be somewhere circa 2pm, with heavier snow developing around tea time for our neck of the woods. My advice would be to leave work early. There's no point putting yourself at risk any more than you need to. :)

Thanks for the advise. Might go home and get out with the kids on the sledge. Let's face it, it might be a while before we see the again!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winter, hot summer
1 minute ago, s4lancia said:

Got the same issue. Just do the opposite of what I do and you'll be fine.

Expecting to have to leave work here in Mid Dorset to head back to Weymouth around lunchtime(ish). Will see how long my nerve holds out :D

Just keep firm tabs on the radar

That's pretty much what I'm doing. Was nice to see the snow in Weymouth this morning ?

• Like 1

Posted

Having been in the building trade all my life a word of warning.  If you have a wobbly shed lol don't let the snow build up to too high on its roof sweep it off because snow in depth can be very heavy.   After saying that please don't use a ladder on any elevation its too dangerous.

I was lucky enough to have lived through the 62-63 blizzards and I have seen dozens of trees brought down by the sheer weight of snow on their branches so if in doubt don't park your car under one.  Better to be safe than sorry.  I know this only applies in extreme situations but all you peeps to the west of me may experience just that.

Stay safe and enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There's no doubt it'll be an ice day here. I cannot remember the last one we had.

TemperatureDay.thumb.png.ca513d17ee6e1705101602390798eabd.png

Seriously impressive graphs. The 'zero' line marker is out of view.

• Like 5

Posted

my mates are tree surgeons so probably keeping quiet about the snow on trees bit,thanks though,i have a VERY old shed lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

So how long before the ppn starts to pick up now? seems to be quite a long wait until next arives unless ppn picks up ahead of main band soon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
8 minutes ago, Mr Bartlettazores said:

Hi all. Heading up to London this morning by train from Winchester. Any advice on the latest details and whether I should return eg say lunchtime rather than later afternoon say 4-5pm?

Thanks in advance.

?? Its 10am why would you travel to London and get the next train back ??

Is it essential

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
9 minutes ago, Mr Bartlettazores said:

Thanks in advance.

Think you may find trains are delayed and cancelled coming back?  

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

This week has been a long long waiting game.  And here we are on D-day and it's still a waiting game  

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, kent said:

Having been in the building trade all my life a word of warning.  If you have a wobbly shed lol don't let the snow build up to too high on its roof sweep it off because snow in depth can be very heavy.   After saying that please don't use a ladder on any elevation its too dangerous.

I was lucky enough to have lived through the 62-63 blizzards and I have seen dozens of trees brought down by the sheer weight of snow on their branches so if in doubt don't park your car under one.  Better to be safe than sorry.  I know this only applies in extreme situations but all you peeps to the west of me may experience just that.

Stay safe and enjoy.

A lot of unexpected things could happen. The SW has not had either this level of cold, or, this level of anticipated snow and ice.

For decades.

Edited by EllyTech

Posted
Just now, Jemma Croton said:

Just defrosted the sledge which had 7cm thick ice filling it. School closing early x

You are obviously more hardened up there.

Virtually all the schools in my area announced in advance (yesterday afternoon) that they were closing today and tomorrow.

Posted
2 hours ago, Dormouse said:

Jtay,    Be careful!   Remember Scott.   I might be some tome!??

Thanks for the concern @Dormouse We made it back :laugh:

P3010833_sm.thumb.jpg.3c8e788d9290ad758b00a2ba96d81eff.jpgP3010807_sm.thumb.jpg.347dc3bda03fa561e1ed9a9f447071c0.jpgP3010801_sm.thumb.jpg.93809a451821099d3217be3b144840cc.jpg

The pub on the right was shut yesterday, due to frozen pipes. Hopefully they'll get their act together in time for this evening's walk.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Nights King said:

So how long before the ppn starts to pick up now? seems to be quite a long wait until next arives unless ppn picks up ahead of main band soon.

I would use the gap to sort out any last minute things you might think to do.