Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

To be fair to NK, If someone said it snowed in Wareham, it would be considered faker news than being illegal to drive in a red warning zone.

I didnt know it was fake news. it sounded quite logical to me to be fair.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

So meto app has just updated for me. It's now showing snow from 5pm instead of 2pm. It seems to be getting shifted further back  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

Snowing steadily I'd say in Taunton , and you can see ho the wind whips it up into mini swirls and deposits it elsewhere. 

Really cant get over how cold it is . The heating gone off and in minutes you notice it's effect . :cold:

My place of work is officially closed now and possibly for tomorrow as well. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
Just now, divadee said:

So meto app has just updated for me. It's now showing snow from 5pm instead of 2pm. It seems to be getting shifted further back  

Nothing to worry about. It'll still get here. :)

It shows that the cold air is more stubborn than the models initially thought.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
1 minute ago, divadee said:

Anyone know if the meto app is reliable? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Anyone got any thoughts about Gloucestershire later? Latest BBC forecast didn’t look so good here. Damn, lived in Somerset for 6 years and only saw a bit of snow twice! Looks like the place to be.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .
21 minutes ago, dec10snow said:

Yes I’m already here ? snow starting to settle on main roads on the way in!

Best be back off I'd say . Well done you for going in . My place of work is shut .They took the decision in view of the met office warnings . 

Posted

#BeastFromTheEast #BigFreeze #snow #shirley #croydon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl
1 minute ago, MidnightSnow said:

Anyone know if the meto app is reliable? 

It's been pretty reliable this week for my location. It changes all the time but they get it roughly right. 

• Like 1

Posted

I've discovered 510 horses through the rear wheels makes for a rather hairy journey to work in these conditions :D

Think I may bottle it and take the work van home back to Weymouth once we abandon ship here (hopefully) later on today!

• Like 1

Posted

Forecast for the whole of Devon to be covered in snow later apart from a tiny patch above barnstaple and braunton. Anyone know what's going on there?  :)

Posted

I'm late to the party again tis morning.  Horrible when work gets in the way isn't it :)

Very light snow and calm winds here in SW Devon at the moment. Air temp -4.4c, DP -5.8c, 90% RH.  Hence feeling much colder than yesterday.

I'm off to scan from page 182 onwards to se what I've missed!

image.thumb.png.4d325a1efac8d91393c2bc5ea586f38f.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

some snow still blowing around in the wind here but starting to peter out now but has left a covering which looks lovely......Eyes downto the south now to see what developes for later.....30 miles further west of here though is a different story with heavy snow set to continue for some time to come before more snow developes later on this afternoon/evening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: really cold or really hot ! extremes

Does anyone else get really wound up by Facebook posts saying it's not going to snow or is that it ? I'm like arghhh lol

I'm praying Portland sees some heavy stuff later so I don' look like a total nutter! 

Edited by Moleyroley
  • Like 1

EARLY MORNING REVIEW

Good morning and welcome to "Spring" everyone :)  This is an "interim update".  

The big day is here. I've had my first settling snow since moving down here permanently 3 years ago. Here's a very modest pic. Many who missed out completely so far should have had a little overnight and right now.

From Inside   0700                                                   0705           

5a97ad1de266c_Snow1.thumb.jpg.ca9635e1d8df5de5d4ded6ed95a56f6b.jpg      5a97ad2d71709_1.3rad1.thumb.png.fafe7d62ea84348bf8c5d8a71cd094da.png  

Before I starting writing part 3 of my report (see part 1 on page 170 and part 2 on page 184 for loads of live charts) I will do a quick round up of current conditions and overnight developments. Most of these charts are at fixed times so that comparisons can be done later in the day but I'll start with the live radar and satellite ones for reference..

lastsnowradar_uk.gif    lastsnowradar.gif   anim_ir.gif  anim_ir_color.gif

Before a few of you start panicking, this snow is NOT the main event which "should" develop later this afternoon and into this evening (as forecast yesterday) and we have our own "red" warning from 1500 today. There have been a few misleading local forecasts which seem to have suggested that this is the main event now and push it all through at breakneck speed (wrong!). The Met O seem to have a better handle on this and the BBC may well start to regret dropping their service. The red warning (and the previous amber warning) are totally at odds with the local BBC forecast.

0000 GMT                                                       0600 GMT                                            0100 GMT                                                      0500 GMT

s1803010000.png    s1803010600.png   s1803010200_uk.png   s1803010600_uk.png

The snow that pushed eastwards and then northwards into France yesterday was quite well ahead of storm Emma. That initial band of snow over France has weakened and dispersed. The "all France" radar does not show the Channel snow properly. What happened was that the leading bands of snow from France moved across the Channel in the small hours and engaged with the remains of the streamer. This has introduced some additional moisture and the band has expanded and "may" become self sustaining and bridge the gap to the main event later today or we may get a lull as it pushes northwards. So look at it as an appertizer before things really wind up later on :) 

0800 Round Up: 

France:     Surface Temps                                          Dew Points                                                Windchill                                                         Wind

temp-07.png   pointrosee-08.png   windchill-07.png  vent-08.png

UK:          Surface Temps                                            Dew Points                                                Windchill                                                        Wind

temp_uk.png   pointrosee_uk-06.png   windchill_uk-06.png  vent_uk-08.png

Euro:          Surface Temps                                            Dew Points                                              Windchill                                                      Wind

temp_eur2-06.png   pointrosee_eur2-06.png   windchill_eur2-06.png  vent_eur2-08.png

Wind Chart Explanations:
This maps show the average wind in real time recorded by weather stations in France and neighboring countries. The red arrows represent the direction of the wind of the stations, and the white arrows (only on the all France chart) represent the direction of the wind calculated at any point of the map according to that of the stations. The colour represents the average strength of the wind. These are the most recent observations of the present time and not forecasts. 

Pressure:         0050 GMT                                             24 hours to  GIF                                              Live                                       Fronts & Troughs 0700 Mar 1st                    Met O Fax for 0600 Mar 1st    

pression2_eur2-06.png   tempresult_jkm2.gif   pression2_eur2.png   analyse-2018-03-01-06.png   20180301.0725.PPVA89.png

Brief comments:

The milder air has made very little northward progress in France during the last 12 hours and the area of southerly winds is still confined to the south west of Biscay. The deep cold over us is still in place and today will see some March lowest max temp records broken.The Scandi HP has only declined slightly and remains in situ (for now), maintaining the block, holding off the northward progress of the LP. The flow has veered slightly more towards the east-south-east overnight with east-south-easterly to easterly winds continuing and strengthening. The Met O fax shows the "ghost" warm front ahead of the other fronts. This is only upper level less cold air climbing well over the surface cold - I discussed this in previous posts and will pick up on it in part 3 of my main report later this morning. Prepare to be snowed in :D   David

Edited by Guest
Correct typos and check charts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Due to the way Meteoalarm works.. it cannot split local areas up when it comes to warnings, so if a red warning is issued for Devon and Cornwall, it shows for the whole Southwest and so it shows up on my website too. Quite a sight  to behold!

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
11 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

I've discovered 510 horses through the rear wheels makes for a rather hairy journey to work in these conditions :D

Think I may bottle it and take the work van home back to Weymouth once we abandon ship here (hopefully) later on today!

BMW per chance? yep mine too rear wheel drive - a waft of snow and we are sliding every where..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow
2 minutes ago, Mark Neal. said:

Moderate snow here in Headington. 

Heavy snow a few miles from you :)

Posted
2 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

BMW per chance? yep mine too rear wheel drive - a waft of snow and we are sliding every where..

AMG.

Trying not to be (too) stupid in it but this morning an empty work carpark and falling snow equates to doughnuts in my book.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Tonyinhampshire said:

Light covering in Fareham Hampshire. Radar indicates coast clearing. No further bands coming from france

Really!!

051D1C3A-8634-494F-BEAD-35F45219A3BE.jpeg